Summer Lightning

snunn

Summer Lightning

Set off on Thursday and spent the night in Somerset ,the next day we drove to Suffolk and spent it with Micks sister when we left her we stayed overnight in Norwich.

Saturday morning we headed into Wroxham for breakfast not really that good to be honest everything tasted of stale fat ,did the usual rounds of shopping , Ludham for the butchers and bread from the Staithe , then potter for fishing and finally having had a text to say the boat was ready back to the large Norwich Tesco for the “big shop”.

Finally on board around 1:30 we were staying in the Marina as we had booked dinner in the Brundal bay bistro , Mick discovered he had forgotten a few fishing bits so we headed back out to Wroxham , went to the Yare about 5:30 for a pre dinner tipple. Meal was excellent can recommend this place back on the boat for a nightcap and bed.

Sunday

Popped to the coop I had also forgotten a couple bits in Tesco then back onboard and we set off not far only to fleet dyke weather was lovely mick started to fish I went for a walk spent a good time relaxing fishing was quite good so man happy, dinner was a ploughman’s with ham , cheese ,pork pie salad and lovely bread thoroughly enjoyed ,watched a movie then bed.

• Like 4

Monday

We left Fleet and headed for Reedham arrived after a slow and gentle trip to find very few moorings we got moored and the ranger came and helped us asked if we would like to be on the power and said he would come get us when that was free, which he did he asked if we wanted him to do the ropes and we thanked him and he got us all sorted and was such a helpful very kind really lovely guy ,Mick fished weather was sunny and quite warm I went for a walk along towards the ferry and it was lovely , back on the boat we ordered a curry it was delivered just on the hour so great and was really good.

Watched tv and soon felt the need to sleep so off we went going further south tomorrow pastures new for us.

Tuesday

Left before breakfast and took a slow cruise towards the new cut and beyond Mick wasn’t keen on the cut neither was I much anyway soon done and we headed toward somerleyton the moorings there were pretty empty and we got a good spot again by the electric post saves the batteries and doesn’t cost much if there still some credit on.

Weather wasn’t so good today threatening rain all the time , got chatting to guy on the boat in front it was his first time ever and he was loving it , he was with a pal in a private boat so had help along the way.

Walked to Dukes Head but it wasn’t open no worry food on board just though we could have a lite lunch just got back before the heavens opened 

Trains quite noisy started around 4:30am !

Wednesday

Never sure where we are heading left around 9am , bridge height fine but as we turned it was about to open for a large cruiser coming the other way so good for us too.

We cruised along up top quite warm but overcast not the rain we were expecting though at the junction we took Oulton Dyke , this is all new territory to us went on into Oulton Broad but decided not to stay came back out and moored at the Dutch Garden mooring quite lovely too, I had 2 really lovely walks around 5 miles in total and Mick caught his best ever Bream we had the final left over curry for lunch , cannot praise enough the build your own set menu for 2 from Acle Spice super just added 1 extra Naan and a Veg curry we had 2 full dinners and a good size lunch .

Saw my very first Bittern was great and later watched the most amazing lightning show when on Lightning! 

Thursday

Left the mooring around 7:30 headed back towards Reedham and I saw a second Bittern so lucky,lovely morning cruise but wind was strong and chilly so stayed inside,new cut at Haddistow interesting as someone came at us full throttle to overtake almost putting himself and his hire boat in the mud!

Reedham full so no stop over to shop or wait for final falling tide so carried on slowly up and around Cantly , Beauchamp and into Fleet Dyke almost empty so chose our spot.

Walked to New Inn for an ale or 2 and enjoyed a lunch I hadn’t cooked ,back to the boat to find some kids jumping into the river just behind us so worrying with boats coming up and down,

Lazy late afternoon late supper of Ham Salad and watched a movie ,the evening now is so still and calm it’s glorious sky is golden and it’s quite warm ,watching for owls and listening for Bitterns , and I see one fly past the broad end of the Dyke that’s my third for sure this week.I didn’t want to go to bed the night was so still and warm it was amazing,finally gave in as the light faded.

Friday

Cruise back into Marina as we need a few supplies quick trip to the Blofield farm shop and  the coop then back on board and heading to Bramerton it’s very overcast and rainy as we left Rockland but sun trying to come out now as we leave Marina so we sit up top a few spots of rain but nothing much , lovely slow cruise and when we arrive there are still several place we choose one near a power post and get moored up,weather very changeable one minute sun next it’s raining . Dinner on board after a lovely afternoon fishing and chatting Minted lamb steaks with broccoli,carrots and new potatoes nice too .

• Like 3

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

constantly get confused between Short Dyke and Fleet Dyke leading to Rockland Broad. It doesn’t help that in my mind Fleet Dyke is the shortest to traverse. It probably isn’t, but it feels like that. 

I may be wrong I just thought where the moorings are is called Fleet Dyke ? 

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

That sounds like a very busy start to your holiday!

Yes troubles living so far away 

doing same in reverse seeing my brother in Berkshire and hotelling in Hampshire 

Susan

• Like 1

Saturday

We leave late and slow cruise not sure where we are heading aware it will be busy but we have food on board so not bothered finally after a couple of hours pootling along we find ourselves in Fleet dyke again , loads of space so we get settled , fishing starts and I’m in the chair reading weather fairies could be better , take a walk to the Staithe enjoy a pint and a wine stroll back more fishing and chats to other boaters see Norfolk Lady go past too.

Dinner onboard again stuffed chicken breast roasted new potatoes and more veg, another film and another late evening watching the sky the birds and nature it was beautiful.

Sunday

Very lazy day today we wondered if the Staithe was full and I walked there around 8:30 plenty of space so called Mick and he brought the boat down onto electric and already settled for the day weather quite good too , another nice walk to the nature reserve, a shower then over to the pub for Sunday lunch what could be better , well in absolute honesty the Roast could have !

But again I didn’t cook or clear up so a bonus , back onboard and just chilled ontop we had moved to the corner spot and several boats had arrived next to us ,then quite late a large Barnes boat came in and moored in front of us , we did try to politely say we planned to leave around 7:30 and the response was we’ll wake us up then !

Luckily one of the boats next to us left rather late and we managed to persuade them that A they would fit the space and B we could pull them in on the ropes , achieved this with no bother so all ended happily , I know it is a mooring there but is ok to block someone in ?

Monday

Well surprisingly we head back to Bramerton today it’s a lovely day up top sunny with little breeze so very enjoyable , as you can tell we are not very adventurous travellers we like what we like

When we arrived there were loads of places so we again headed to the electric post mooring was hampered by several men fishing from the bank and they had numerous rods out all along which they were trying to move out of our way , finally we got tied up and mick started fishing but was a little put off by all the rods around him , they were catching Perch which all pretty much went into bags on the bank apparently it is allowed to take them we didn’t realise this ,we headed up to the Waters edge for lunch and had a very enjoyable couple of hours in the sun , nice food great wine and a fab dessert I was very content, back on board Mick fished a little more then we again watched a movie and fell asleep before it finished a good day again .

Tuesday

We were going to go back to Reedham today but annoyingly considering I was up at 6 am Mick changed his mind said he didn’t feel like it so guess what we went back to Rockland Staithe was going to moor in Fleet Dyke but surprisingly it was chokka again we took the corner mooring went for a walk up to the shop but was disappointed with what was available nothing really to make a meal with so we had to eat at the pub again several boats came and went and again someone moored in front of us , we said we were leaving at 8 am and got told they could absolutely moor there and we can’t move them , luckily nothing else came in and in the morning we were able to pull her along and go round them all still tucked up sound asleep I would have hated having to ask them to move so early !

Pub food better than the Sunday

Wednesday

After leaving Rockland just after 8 am we enjoyed a lovely cruise down to Reedham very few boats bout early a few more later but not many it was a bit windy and cloudy but the sun was trying to come out ,saw yet another Bittern flying just above the reeds right beside us never seen 1 now 4 this trip . when we arrived at Reedham it was pretty full one space we saw was free turns out it belongs to the pub we moored anyways as the ranger to lad us we didn’t have to pay until 6pm and he was sure the 2 in front of us would be leaving soon and he would help move us up , this happened about an hour after we arrived once moored again and settled we had showers and then sauntered to the pub for a beer or 2 and I was hungry so we had a couple of starters as a snack very nice they were too.

Back on the boat the day had cleared up it was now very sunny and warm love sitting there watching all the action it’s such fun , Mick fished a while but didn’t catch much.

Dinner tonight was from Acle Spice again the deal build your own Dinner for 2 @ £29.95

2 of everything starters , mains , sides , rice, and naans it’s a real value deal it is 2 days dinners for us which is great and it was delicious again.

Thursday

Well guess ok it’s Fleet dyke but what a nightmare mooring came in slow I was instructed to take stern rope first but we didn’t get close enough for me to be happy getting off the wind was pushing us out , kind gentleman tried to help but in securing the bow we just started to turn round so we went into the broad turned around and came back in this time I got off tide up reached the other rope and we were all done just like that ! How bloody annoying.

It was another lovely day although quite windy sat out on the chairs Mick fished I read we had a couple of beers and just really chilled the 2 other boats left and for quite a long time we were the only ones there , left over curry just warmed in the oven no bother at all and it was great, a movie before bed but it had by now started racing quite heavy so no nature watch tonight.

Friday

Final day aboard before we leave tomorrow heading back into Marina we want to be away as early as we can on Saturday although not planning on going all the way to Cornwall that would be plain madness on a Saturday in August, no we are visiting my brother in Berkshire then hotel for the night in Hampshire.

So back in Marina quite early whilst it was still dry popped to the coop for a loaf and some kitchen roll back for breakfast, then started the clean and pack , we have dinner booked tonight at the East Hills Bistro so now the oven is clean I don’t have to use it again , had sunshine and showers all day some really heavy just thinking the terrace might be a tad chilly tonight it’s also quite windy again.

The meal was good a bit pricy for what you get but enjoyable and a lovely bottle of local white wine from Surlingham it was super.

Saturday

Final clean and tidy through , pump out and fuel and we leave the boat at 9:50 then the horror begins sat nav said we would get to Berkshire by 1.05 pm we finally made it at 3.17pm traffic was just awful. Spent a lovely couple of hours catching up sadly we had to leave as we had a dinner reservation for 6:30 just got the on time, hotel stay was another nightmare seems locals use the surrounding area as a speedway track up until about 3 am neither of us slept!

We left at 7:20 and arrived home at 10:48 so a brilliant trip.

Loved the time away enjoyed the water as always but it’s good to be home , and doesn’t your lounge seem big after 2 weeks on the boat !

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, snunn said:

hampered by several men fishing from the bank and they had numerous rods out all along which they were trying to move out of our way ,

This is so annoying at Bramerton. The BA signs there say ‘no bank fishing between 16 March and 30 September’ but the anglers take no notice. I have seen rangers completely ignore them too. 

For us it’s as much about enjoying the whole aspect the fishing for Mick and walking for me and just relaxing watching nature and the world go by

We do have place we like and return to often North or South 

i do enjoy cruising but we have never been ones for cruising all day or even  more then a few hours 5 I think is the most we have ever done 

• Like 1

Was great to read about your holiday, my wife and i are on the water for two weeks in September, hiring from Broom, all being well.

We  love Cornwall, we have stayed at the Old Custom House in Padstow,  you are lucky to live in a lovely part of the country which is probably very congested this year.