Woodie's Show.

Andrewcook

10 hours ago, Hylander said:

How long are you all at Beccles.  Are you there on Sunday too. 

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Yes, arrive Friday about 1300 till Monday morning, a few do depart Sunday afternoon 

Griff

Sorry I quoted the wrong quote to start with.     Thank you,   unfortunately we have visitors on the Saturday , did not dare put them off as not seen them for 6 years,  so if can will pop down on Sunday.      The boats look magnificent and thank goodness you are blessed this year with decent weather.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

This morning I’ve had to change a gas bottle for a fellow owner, now another boat needs a fuel filter charge, apparently I’m doing that too on a french engine :default_icon_eek:

Griff

There's nowt wrong wi French engines!!!! i've got one :default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_biggrin:

All Kubota engines, though the markup on consumables looks to be slightly higher for the Blue variant, unless you shop around for suitable OEM parts, then there's not a lot to choose between them unless you have a preference for the colour Blue, or Red.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Meantime said:

All Kubota engines, though the markup on consumables looks to be slightly higher for the Blue variant, unless you shop around for suitable OEM parts, then there's not a lot to choose between them unless you have a preference for the colour Blue, or Red.

But!

It all depends on the shade of Blue as Original Kubota parts are a deeper blue in shade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petersjoy said:

There's nowt wrong wi French engines!!!! i've got one :default_2gunsfiring_v1::default_biggrin:

According to their website, I see that Beta engines are marinised in the UK.

Nanni engines are marinised in La Teste, near Bordeaux, but are exactly the same Kubota "short engine" before marine parts are fitted.

• Like 3

I have visited the Nanni "factory" in La Teste.  It is just a couple of tin sheds on an industrial estate.  Bits come in on pallets at one end and are assembled much like Meccano, before going to a spray shop, from which they emerge with Nanni written on them. There is no more technology than that.

There is much more technology when Peachments, as UK agents, install them in a boat with the necessary gear.  Especially when fitting their own hydraulic drive option.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Because easy,cheap,and boat are words that should never be used in the same sentence.

How very true.

We are finding it very refreshing with the van that parts cost £20 rather then £200 a time :default_laugh:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Why can Boat Engines be built in England as then parts are easily and cheaper to get?

I apologise for wandering off what is a fascinating thread, but I can truly say that when Crown Blue Line were building our new design of Classiques and Crusaders, of which we built a few hundred, we wanted to fit the Perkins MC42 which had been developed by Duffields in Norwich and is still the best inland waterways diesel I have known.

Perkins were not able to guarantee production of this engine for at least the next 5 years (even though they were selling engines to Volvo) and so we were obliged to go with the Nanni 4190 instead.  Porter and Haylett (Connoisseur) made the same decision at the same time.

So if Perkins had gone with us then Nanni may not have made the same impression on the market that they now have.

All the same, they have proved to be a great little engine, although they cannot be economically re-built.  In the end, you throw it away and buy another one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

All the same, they have proved to be a great little engine, although they cannot be economically re-built.  In the end, you throw it away and buy another one.

What would you say is the average lifespan of the Nanni 4190? and what are the common issues?

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

Why can Boat Engines be built in England as then parts are easily and cheaper to get?

We probably could, as long as they come in kit form.  The UK manufacturing industry is (largely) sadly a thing of the past.  If we did, they’d probably be too expensive.