Woodie's Show.

Andrewcook

1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

All craft with dressing lines and flags flying slipped and preceded at 1100 from OBYS en route to Beccles, Nipper leading the flotilla. It’s mild n bright

Griff

Would have liked to see it but the webcam is locked up an won't move from the current view.

See you all tomorrow when we get to the boat, will have a walk round tomorrow evening.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I apologise for wandering off what is a fascinating thread, but I can truly say that when Crown Blue Line were building our new design of Classiques and Crusaders, of which we built a few hundred, we wanted to fit the Perkins MC42 which had been developed by Duffields in Norwich and is still the best inland waterways diesel I have known.

Perkins were not able to guarantee production of this engine for at least the next 5 years (even though they were selling engines to Volvo) and so we were obliged to go with the Nanni 4190 instead.  Porter and Haylett (Connoisseur) made the same decision at the same time.

So if Perkins had gone with us then Nanni may not have made the same impression on the market that they now have.

All the same, they have proved to be a great little engine, although they cannot be economically re-built.  In the end, you throw it away and buy another one.

This was set up between Perkins and Volvo Penta Sweden at least 25 years ago so before my time and no one in the UK was involved.  However, as I understand it VP didn't want the cost of developing a new range of small engines and Perkins were happy to leave the selling to VP.

Last years get together Andrew n Claire had cheap bunting that leaked dye when wet, some of the flags were lying on the coach house roofs. He decided it was not right so over the past year got set to, trialling various systems of putting up and flying dressing lines with support poles that could be rigged and stowed

Once that was fettled it was time for some quality pennants. Rather than buying a quality made up set he hit on the idea of researching Broads Boatyard’s past n present. Then got the lot made up to measure, that can’t have been a cheap exercise 

Just how no one has thought of this idea before now?

The result must be the best most apt set of Broads dressing lines on any Broads boat both past and present 

Well done 

Griff

image.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Stationerystill said:

Do my eyes deceive me. It looks like two of the boats have glass fibre Griffin 35(Bourne) hulls with timber superstructure. These boats were designed by my father in the early 60's.

I believe there were 3 with the Borne hull but different layouts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stationerystill said:

Do my eyes deceive me. It looks like two of the boats have glass fibre Griffin 35(Bourne) hulls with timber superstructure. These boats were designed by my father in the early 60's.

Which begs the question, should they be going to the wooden boat show?

25 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Which begs the question, should they be going to the wooden boat show?

It's a good point because most boats have a degree of wood in them somewhere. All my bulkheads and cabinets are made from wood, but the hull and superstructure are GRP. Surely to qualify as a Woodie it should have a wooden hull AND superstructure?

Owning a wooden broads cruiser does not guarantee a place at the Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Show in the same way that owning a fibreglass boat does not exclude someone. In fact a certain Mk1 Connoisseur has been to more wooden boat shows than most of the wooden boats.....

Three of this year's attendees were not even built on the broads.

The event is a celebration of wooden broads cruisers. If you want to come and celebrate with us let me know!

• Like 10