Woodie's Show.

Andrewcook

7 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

My canoe is plywood sheathed inside and out with epoxy cloth, does that make it wooden or fibreglass ?? 

C5124B06-DCD8-43DE-B0ED-DF6B5D18B000.jpeg

The main structure is clearly wood and very pretty it is too, the original point was not meant to be a dig anyone just a question, after all the main part of a boat is the hull (that is what makes it a vessel) so if the hull is 99% grp and a few wooden stringers surely it's not really a wooden boat, it's a grp boat with a wooden lid.

A cork is wood but it doesn't turn a bottle of wine into a barrel of wine...... (shame)

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

The main structure is clearly wood and very pretty it is too, the original point was not meant to be a dig anyone just a question, after all the main part of a boat is the hull (that is what makes it a vessel) so if the hull is 99% grp and a few wooden stringers surely it's not really a wooden boat, it's a grp boat with a wooden lid.

A cork is wood but it doesn't turn a bottle of wine into a barrel of wine...... (shame)

My understanding is that the show is a celebration of the use of wood in boatbuilding, where the wood is clearly on show. Along with a celebration of older boats, and boat building. Which are both an excuse to get together with like minded persons. :default_smiley-char054:

If you had a Cork Show, would you mind if people turned up with them still in the bottles? :default_coat:

• Like 3

As these Wooden Boat have a long History including at Sea now  the Wooden Boats being on the Broads including other water ways around the uk now the fibreglass has come on to the see but I still at Myra the Wooden Boats that Martham Boat Builders Boats are still have and being Hired out on the Broads

• Like 1

I’m sure the time will come when there is a boat show reinforcing classic glass polyester craft, jelly mould Freemans, Sabberton super skis, Chris Craft Commanders, Dell Quay dory’s, Broom Oceans, Moonraker Mysteres... many of these broke the moulds back in their day!

Just how nice is it that someone goes to such great efforts in arranging all this, with maybe a little help here and there. 

would have been nice to see them all or be involved having a fully biodegradable in the family, see pic.  but for other plans etc we could not make it. 

what makes a classic in car terms, it tends to be when it becomes tax exempt, don’t see that happening any time soon on some of our boats. 😜

anything boat wise built pre - 1980’s I would punt for as a classic. But it’s a little bit more tricky, what about such things as have they been heavily restored like Triggers broom? So what, this is what they all need at some point to keep them going. Also what abut some boats that have been completely redeveloped where they look the same as the originals but have been built more recently? There are a few day boats and yachts we know of where this has been done. Any way just killing some time at the moment, however I fully agree with floydraser above. 👍

cheers 

Paul 

38403946-371B-4CF5-BD61-9110EF57FB41.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Maxwellian said:

Not aimed at you at all Dave, 

Mostly at me I assume, it was only ever an question, I like looking at the old woodies out and about on the water just wouldn't touch one myself as I'm way too lazy for the upkeep.

On the classics question both my bikes are on a classic policy, they are only just over 20 years old.

Next year's event is from 10th to 14th August. On the Quay head will be about 25 wooden boats plus half a dozen with fibreglass hulls. There will also be  mk1 Connoisseur, a Broom Skipper and, with luck,  our first Ocean 30.

Every single boat will be full of wooden boat owners, part owners, enthusiasts,  support staff, helpers and anyone else interested in the furtherance of the wooden boat movement on the broads. 

That's what the show is all about, creating interest, encouraging ownership and offering help and advice on keeping these old boats going. The wealth of knowledge on that quayhead is amazing. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2