Three Rivers Race 2022.

TheQ

Due to the Queen's anniversary moving the bank holiday to the Normal 3RR weekend, the proposal for 3RR 2022 is that the race will be the Weekend BEFORE the bank holiday. So 28th- 29th May.. Final confirmation of next year's programme of sailing for the season has yet to be confirmed.

Book your weekends now...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok folks, comb your hair, polish your shoes and be on your best behavior ..

They are making a film about the 3RR this year, what form this will take, I have no idea, but you could be in shot on river or on the bank...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

12 days to go and the first long range forecast is in, Easterly 10mph for the whole race, with a maximum temperature of 13C.

Not that good on either count,  an easterly is over the houses on the left of the first straight and you'd need to tack occasionally..  Very little tide for the start though. I could see 100+ boats tacking in the first half mile of river if the forecast doesn't change..

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

12 days to go and the first long range forecast is in, Easterly 10mph for the whole race, with a maximum temperature of 13C.

Not that good on either count,  an easterly is over the houses on the left of the first straight and you'd need to tack occasionally..  Very little tide for the start though. I could see 100+ boats tacking in the first half mile of river if the forecast doesn't change..

Just looked at the weather on the BBC website.  Around 16c both days with moderate northerlies.  Frankly, they don’t seem to able to tell what the weather's going to do tomorrow, never mind in two weeks time.

• Like 2

Latest forecast northerly with a hint of west in it at 18-21mph, a near perfect wind for getting the boats out through Horning. Though getting up the Ant will be fun tacking up the river..

the first sailing cruiser is already moored at the club waiting..

12 hours ago, AndyTBoater said:

Just signed up to help with bacon, eggs and teas (cooking not eating) on the graveyard shift, Sunday 4am to 7am. 

Come and say hello at the yacht club. 

I couldn't face the graveyard shift so I opted for the next one starting at 7 to finish so we will meet.  Hope it isn't too busy - last year it was very quiet as there was no wind and then suddenly one big rush!  Judging by the current forecast you might be busy!

Guard ship days are over!

Liz

• Like 1

My introduction to the race about 1981  I came down to the club to see what was going on and they said "can you help in the kitchens for a short time?"...

Most of the fleet promptly sailed round the corner and I washed up around 150 sets of plates knives forks etc...

• Like 2

My first introduction was in 1971 soon after we moved to Horning. Father volunteered WR for guard ship. We were sent to Stracey Arms in the days when the TA did the radios.

After that I might help on guard ship - in later years they would be above Potter but I had moved away by then. But later I would be the grave yard slot time keeper. My shift would end when Fred Turner would arrive at a more civilized hour!

Liz

• Like 2

The final pre race notes of the year,

Forecast is,

16mph from the north with the occasional hint of westerly, Weybourne has 20mph forecast, so out Hickling way it will be a little stronger.

The temperature max 16 Saturday, 15 Sunday, but dropping to 6C overnight, pretty chilly... 

Just a little bit of drizzle in the silly hours of the night..

Good luck to the competitors, see you at Hickling..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

So what's the weather like for the race this morning?  It's blowing a steady stiff westerly here, if that's any help.    :default_coat:

Hoping all concerned have a good day!

Fresh! Could be chilly in the night and I suspect a quick race for many

• Like 1

Fairly strong northerly with a bit of West.

'm now stood half way down the pier, on the Hickling broad camera  unfortunately I can't get a signal any further out than that, I've extended the pier, using two more floating pontoons, the buoy is in the broad awaiting custom. The competitors have to drop a numbered tag in the basket on the buoy as they go round. Sit and rest time till the guardship turns up.