What was it, what is it and will it work?

I think it was the ring where you pump the fuel in.

I think its still for the same purpose but maybe some rubber still to be fitted so when you put the nozzle in it sort of keeps a tight fit and stops fuel from flushing back up.

if my guest is right i do think it realy could work would be a good money maker as there are loads of boats around.

Have'nt got a clue but it doesnt look like it will play any more, was it a CD in a past life?

could it be either a bird scarer, purely on the basis that boaters will try anything, or by the angle of the cuts could it be a security locking tab.

Ian :santawave:

is it for a weed filter something like that.

i cannot see it going anywhere other than the dash or on the outside of the boat.

Right just reread Ian's first post so its for the sink is it to stop the rubbish from blocking the water flow.

Jonny and Happy Jax II, :trophy:trophy

I think you are close enough, the exhaust on the heater I am installing will go through a wooden bulkhead. The plug hole will fit on the hole with an air gap around the fitting and the exhaust pipe will be held in the middle of the fitting. I am a bit concerned that the teeth might wear through the exhaust pipe so will add some extra protection.

Ian :santawave:

:-D Ian! any vibration in or around the exhaust pipe will eventialy wear through the pipe, but it still needs to be quite a tight fit, it looks like it would work but you may need to solder a complete ring around those spikes, just a bit bigger than the exhaust pipe, and say half inch or so wide, that way it'll give a bit of support and won't wear into the pipe, and if you have the space around it fit some sort of heatproof seal to stop it rattling, Screwfix do a range of Temperature Resistance Silicones that can stand up to 300c so that may do the trick, you should also be able to get it from any good plumbers merchants,, :-D

Hi Mowjo,

I have the same thoughts as you, the silicone sheet I have sourced from RS components (good stuff but expensive), and have already used on the transom exhaust fitting. A collar will be fitted around the pipe and over the fabric heat cover but will be a snug fit to reduce vibration. Tamara has a outboard bracket with anti vibration mounts so vibration is not a major problem but is still there to some extent, so I will keep an eye on the exhaust condition.

Thanks

Ian :santa:

Nice job Ian, you do know Webo make a bulkhead fitting for exhausts?, consists of a 100mm S/S disc containing a large heat resistant grommet, doesn't look as nice as your bespoke jobbie though and it's always more satisfying to make bits yourself if you have the skills and the kit. :bow:bow :-D