Jump to content

cutlass bearings?

Recommended Posts

I think thats what they are called the things that stop the water coming in through where the prop shaft comes out?

i have a birchwood 33 with twin engines

and they drip quite a lot

i have been told i can tighten them? is this right?

if so how on earth do you do it?

if not are they expensive to replace? do the prop shafts have to come off

i'm out at goodchilds but can't really afford to get them to do too much as money is tight as always

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The cutlass bearing is the rubber bearing which sits in the outboard bearing/I or Y bracket, I should imagine your inboard bearing is leaking but it is best to post a pic as there are loads of different ones, If the boat is new to you it could be worth getting the stuffing repacked so you know it is new and can have a look at the shaft condition under the gland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Sponsors

    Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.