Spring Gathering 2022 May 21/22

Polly

We are now back home from Norfolk (well a few hours ago).

I must say, we had an amazing time with glorious weather to go with it - yes, even my OH enjoyed it ! 

Really didn't know what to expect, being my first meet-up, having never met anyone in person, and being a non boat owner (for now). Trying to talk to people you don't really know, and when you only know them by a Forum username or boat name, is interesting to say the least !

But having gone to Ranworth in advance on Friday afternoon to see who was around, we got chatting to the lovely ladies on board Papaver, along with the legendary Griff. They very kindly invited us back to join them onboard for the C in C on Sunday, so we made our way to Ranworth in the morning and hopped aboard - as evidenced by the picture above ! They could not have been more hospitable, and we enjoyed a lovely day with them, including BrundleNavy who met us at Salhouse - you have a wonderful boat in Papaver, kept in an immaculate condition. I was even given the privilege of driving the boat all the way to Salhouse, although I sensibly passed the helm back to Griff for mooring. Your hospitality really made the day for us - so a massive "thank you" to the 4 of you.

Also, having read so much about Broad Ambition, it was wonderful to see her for real and to been shown aboard - Griff and the BA team have done an amazing job on restoring and updating her. A mention too for the model BA that Grendel had on display. Unfortunately we left before the model was put in the water later in the evening, so I didn't see her in action. 

It was great to meet so many of you, and I'm sorry that I didn't get say hello to everyone in person.

Shout-out's to those I did manage to have a chat with including Griff (with Purdey and her canine friends), BrundleNavy, Jbx5, Grendel, FairTmiddlin, NeilB, CambridgeCabby, Kpnut and MauriceMynah

A special thank you also to Jbx5 for kindly dropping me back to Ranworth to pick up my car.

We are already looking forward to next years meet up - with a bit of luck (and a winning lottery ticket) you never know I might be there with a boat of my own !

• Like 11

Thank you, and everyone else who attended for the first time, overcoming the natural anxiety of meeting strangers that soon become friends, without new people giving it a try, the meets just wouldn't be the same.

Thanks also to the old hands who made the newcomers so welcome, it really makes a difference.

When so many like minded people get together for a day of fun and just having a chance to meet up, then it's good to see.

I must pass along a complement from the salhouse ranger from Sunday, when she came by, and said, that it looked like we had never been there, we left nothing for them to clean up, thank you everyone for helping in any way toward this outcome.

If the ranger looks forward to our annual meets, it makes the organisers job a lot easier.

• Like 10

What a great weekend that was.  We arrived onboard Papaver at midnight Thursday.  It would have been earlier but for some reason I got in in my head that she was berthed in Horning so a slight sight seeing midnight-ish detour was achieved   :default_blush:

Our bunk had kindly been made up ready and by 0030 we were turned in.  By 0430 Purdey got me up for a nature call, so I stopped up , drove round to the wetshed and carried our a few jobs onboard 'B.A'  Back onboard Papaver we needed to get oursens organised.  I needed to visit Nearest and Dearest, Tesco's at Stalham, along with the wetshed, and Potter to deliver the NBN pennant to Grendel.  So me and 'H' set off in our car leaving MrsG and Brundall Navy to sort stuff out onboard

Tesco's - I was proper naughty.  It was whilst going through the manned checkout with a senior lady behind the till I announced in a loud and clear voice:-

" Helen - You asked me to remind me to get you Durex and heavy duty batteries for you toys - Did you get them"?

It was ace, H's face did the shock and crimson thing, the Lady behind the till did not know where to look.  Once H had composed hersen the reply was

"He's not my husband, not my boyfriend, we are not together (We clearly were with the shopping) and when we get outside - I'm going to kill him"!  :default_rofl:

Visit to wetshed and Potter then back onboard Papaver.  We sailed at round midday with Doug instructing me on the quirkiness of getting her out of their mooring which is far from ideal, we dropped Doug off and we were on our way.  So here I was skippering and helming a genuine Brooms Woody that used to be Captain Voss in her early days.  She has been fantastically restored and upgraded with no expense spared.  Doug and H will of course take her on to the next level as only they can.  There is a 'List' which I gleefully added to, :default_norty: you have to help your mates out where you can, we all have 'To Do' lists be it on a bio degradable or a tupperware

I have been onboard Captain Voss for holidays during the 60's and 70's so it was somewhat nostalgic for me and I enjoyed every minute of being onboard her.  She was never this good back then though.  Big thanks to D and H for the privilege.

Ranworth Staithe, we had to mudweight for only ten mins or so until a berth became available down the side.  This was my first berthing evolution with Papaver, stern on too, she performed perfectly, so much so that once I had got her arcing round I left the throttle alone, she glided in with the girly crew on the stern ropes getting ready to fend off if necessary - Well chuffed.  Then a Ba ranger came over, had a word with my girls for not wearing life jackets but did go on somewhat too much, should have said his piece and left it at that, then to really dig hissen into a hole asked me if I was a novice as there had been a lot of jerky throttle commands (Despite me leaving her out of drive)  :default_rofl:

Of course this amused my girly crew no end!

I didn't respond to his question other than saying well I have been doing this a lot longer than you have

Now this is where the best laid plans went somewhat askew.  I went over t pub with Purdey and a daily paper on my own for a quiet couple of pints.  Never happened.

I found mysen sat with Maurice Minor (The official and number one forum idiot)  Four pints and four rum chasers later having never even looked at t front page I wobbled my way back onboard for an afternoon kip.  I never did get to read that paper

Saturday morning, at 1100 Water Rails sailed with the NBN pennant proudly flying.  The C-in-C went immaculately to plan other than some of the Pmr's on CH4 had issues

BBQ's, Music, Quiz, Cakes, B.a rangers, meeting old friends once again and making new ones it really was a great day and even the wx played ball too.  The overly keen Ba ranger from Friday even turned, I offered him tea and had a good conversation with him

Sunday morning was somewhat busier, clearing up, sorting stuff out.  'B.A's throne had developed an issue so I hauled it out onto t bank for a deep investigation, I was hoping an illegal item was in the macerator - Nope clear as a bell, the motor was packing up, it is now on its last legs.  Our Robin is on the case ordering a replacement which I hope to fit later this week whilst back down to the wetshed working on a clients boat.  Then I got called upon to open a jammed sliding door on a forumites boat, then another boat had issues with the galley sink drains blocked - this was particularly challenging but got it sorted in the end as one does

Our owner skipper Doug was now back with us so eventually we set off to Wroxham, we thought we would leave the moorings right where they were, unlike Peters Joy :default_norty:

I helmed Papava through Wroxham bridge just to worry Doug - I Failed to worry him surprisingly.  Wroxham was busy and hot in the sunshine.  We then set off again via Salhouse to find a forumites mug that had gone absent without leave - Failed.  Stopped at Southgates for a pump out - £25 a go - Seems a tad expensive to me does that, then back to her home berth.  I then again had to road trip back round to the wetshed to take a few measurements of the throne that our Robin had requested then the drive home

Cracking weekend afloat on what is easily the best example of a Broom Captain afloat.  Great crew, great company, great NBN forum meet.  Thanks to everyone :default_beerchug:

Griff

• Like 12

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Thanks to everyone :default_beerchug:

And thanks very much for that write-up, for those of us who could not be there!

I must say I am a bit concerned about the attitude of that ranger in Ranworth.  If I were bringing an obviously private boat into the Maltsters quay I would not appreciate a lecture from an official about wearing lifejackets.  In Reedham, or of course at GYYS, but up on the north rivers, no.

It is always recommended of course but I very much hope the BA are not going to try and make it an obligation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me - I hope I haven't stifled conversation about the meet!  I would certainly not want to do that.

All the same, if you fall in on Malthouse Broad - or Salhouse - you can stand on the bottom.

Not if you are unconscious

Not advocating the compulsory wearing of LJs BTW.

Everyone is responsible for their own safety.

Just downloaded the photos from my camera rather than my phone. I had thought there was going to be a cruise around the broad  before mooring like last time,  so in anticipation,  to capture a shot of every boat pass by, I had a different lens on and didnt have time to change it to the long lens. Sorry guys if I didn’t capture you all ( I told Grendel off lol) 

FCD5277F-F719-4E00-81E6-5BF8F8B01727.png

3A8E1014-4071-43D2-B8B1-10F3F8E4C369.png

2360B41F-3745-4542-BBD7-253AFAB2FE72.png

503EC59D-E5ED-4B32-9F50-9052993480C1.png

5C0D0448-1676-4F5A-B764-8065154CBE95.png

0217ED9C-974A-4F4B-ACC5-4DAADF9806AD.png

820767E1-0FDE-4C5A-9692-9828B6284375.png

7CE776C6-EA63-44D2-9717-0CAD257623AE.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Lulu said:

Just downloaded the photos from my camera rather than my phone. I had thought there was going to be a cruise around the broad  before mooring like last time,  so in anticipation,  to capture a shot of every boat pass by, I had a different lens on and didnt have time to change it to the long lens. Sorry guys if I didn’t capture you all ( I told Grendel off lol) 

FCD5277F-F719-4E00-81E6-5BF8F8B01727.png

3A8E1014-4071-43D2-B8B1-10F3F8E4C369.png

2360B41F-3745-4542-BBD7-253AFAB2FE72.png

503EC59D-E5ED-4B32-9F50-9052993480C1.png

5C0D0448-1676-4F5A-B764-8065154CBE95.png

0217ED9C-974A-4F4B-ACC5-4DAADF9806AD.png

820767E1-0FDE-4C5A-9692-9828B6284375.png

7CE776C6-EA63-44D2-9717-0CAD257623AE.png

Lovely pictures 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I had known you required the flotilla to visit the top end of the Broad then I would haver arranged it as so :default_sad:

But I agree - Telling Grendel off is the way to go, always a bonus is that one

I rarely tell him off, just take the urine now and again - Usually from a safe distance of at least 150 miles or so.  Trouble is, he tends to remember (The largest of species are good at doing that) and 'Gets Me' during the lads week :default_icon_eek:

Griff

• Haha 2

What a wonderful weekend spent chatting away, eating, drinking, singing, and having just a dam good time. We all needed this after 2 years of craziness. Was great to meet so many of you and catch up on so many things. The weather was superb, though it’s chucking it down as I wright this at Paddy’s Lane In the early hours of Tuesday morning😟.  But happy memories were made over the weekend. 
I loved seeing little BA lit up having a night cruise. Well done Grendel she looks wonderful. Hope all got home safe, and those still on the rivers, be safe and enjoy. Thank you all again for making this a wonderful meet.  Roll on next year. 😁

• Like 5