The 4 W's Afloat In Sep 21

CeePee1952

Bit premature, I know but 2 weeks today and we'll be on our way to Herbert Woods to start our weeks cruising on the Broads.  Already stocking up on the essentials - wine, beer and nibbly bits :default_biggrin:  The (4 W's) are me (Chris) and Brenda and our friends from down in Bideford, Chris and Julie.  Our surnames all begin with W (Wilson and Wright) hence the title heading.  Lists made of all things required and then halved between us.  I've had to restrain Brenda a little otherwise we would have had enough weight to get the boat (Sovereign Light) under Potter Heigham :default_biggrin::default_norty: Resigned to the fact that we won't get down on to the southern broads this time due to the slack water times for that week but there's plenty to see on the northern broads (it's the first time for Chris and Julie).  Chris (the other one!) is co-owner of a cruiser which is moored in Instow and he and his colleague tend to go out at the weekends either to Lundy island or Clovelly, weather permitting!  This will be a totally new experience for him and his wife (I hope!).  So, cameras, mifi, chargers, binos etc all checked and ship shape ready for the adventure.  On a different note, I had my daily dosage of HW webcams this morning and noticed a mid cockpit boat pinned against PH bridge! No idea how long it had been there or how it ended up like that but at about 0800hrs, a small boat  arrived from out of HW marina (I suspect one of theirs} and pulled them away from the bridge.  The cruiser then made its way down river and the small boat returned to the marina.  A Ranger boat also turned up at the scene, pulled in to where the day boats are usually moored, watched the process and then poodled off elsewhere. So, that's about it for now, hopefully still spending our first night in Thorne Dyke (Plan A) and will ring the Lion next week to reserve at table for the Friday night.

Chris 

• Like 6

Yes, inexperienced boaters don't realise they need to turn around well before the bridge. Sometimes a combination of wind, tidal effects around the narrow bridge and inexperienced boat handling can drag them on to the bridge and they find themselves pinned there.

• Like 1

Just rang The Lion at Thurne Dyke to book a table for Friday evening 3rd Sep 21.  Not sure if this is common knowledge but they are only doing "walk ins" at the moment.  The girl/lady on the other end of the phone did assure me though that we would get seated when we turn up.  Fingers crossed (and maybe a pot of pre-cooked bolognese on board just in case! :default_biggrin:).

Chris

5 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Just rang The Lion at Thurne Dyke to book a table for Friday evening 3rd Sep 21.  Not sure if this is common knowledge but they are only doing "walk ins" at the moment.  The girl/lady on the other end of the phone did assure me though that we would get seated when we turn up.  Fingers crossed (and maybe a pot of pre-cooked bolognese on board just in case! :default_biggrin:).

Chris

Thanks for the heads up, I'm planning on thurne dyke for our last night in October, short trip upto woods the following morning. October looking busy aswell so fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 1

On 20/08/2021 at 23:09, YnysMon said:

What puzzles me in PH is that the warning sign about not turning beyond that point seems to be downriver of where you’d need to manoeuvre to get to the water point. Or am I mistaken on that? 

I think you're right but you don't have to turn to reach the water point, you can reverse all the way out to where it's safe to turn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sat 4 Sep 21. Left Thorne Dyke about 9 ish this morning after a sausage baguette breakfast and coffee. Reversed successfully out of the dyke and poodles up towards Ranworth, had a detour round South Waltham Broad (very nice!) before arriving at Ranworth about 11 ish. Very lucky and moored up on the last spot before the day boat/dinghy staithe (where the electric boat is moored!). Hooked up to shore power (£1.52p left on the meter!!! Bonus!!). Visited the church as you do, and had a leisurely afternoon back on the boat. Just returned from eating in the Malsters (not as good as the lion at Thorne but filled a hole!). Tomorrow’s plan is to head for Wroxham but that could change :default_biggrin: photos will follow after the holiday!

Chris

• Like 4

Now at Wroxham nicely moored up in NBD mooring adjacent to the car park.  Had to go into the far end of Faircraft to fill up with water as no spaces available. Shuffled round to the moorings in front of the pub (also Faircraft) so as to keep an eye out for a free mooring over at NBD!! Sods law, as soon as moored up in front of the pub, a mooring became free across at NBD so slowly manouvered over and using the thrusters (Girlie buttons in some peoples eyes :default_biggrin:) perfectly squeezed in and now here until tomorrow morning.  Cracking weather so far!  Also managed to dodge the three Broads pleasure boats before they left so that was good timing :default_cool:

Chris

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Lovely to hear tales from those still on the rivers (holiday tales tend to peter out toward autumn).

I’m a bit confused though. NBD and Faircraft used to be the same company. Have they split since Len Funnel bought the hire fleet? 

That might be down to my lack of local knowledge! They each have their own distinct logo and I’ve noticed that NBD advertise holiday accommodation and hire cruisers and Faircraft only advertise hire cruisers?! They appear to share the same check in office here in Wroxham.

Chris