Timeless Music

addicted

So sorry to learn that the  last surviving Everly Brother has died. One of my great favourites when in my teens. Music that endures today. When my granddaughters were children  and spending time on the boat with us the Everly Brothers' compillation CD was the most requested . RIP

Carole

• Like 2

OK,

It is 1968, Judith and I have been going out for about 2 years and have just got engaged. We are going to attend a 21st birthday bash at The Dorchester. My new Spitfire has disintegrated its clutch and under pain of 1000 deaths we are going in my father's new 280SL. I drive slowly down Park Lane and Bingo get  a parking space outside the main entrance. Porter takes our cases and we book in.

We have arranged to meet friends first in the 007 bar at The Hilton. Nice evening and not wishing to give up my secure parking we decide to walk. As we leave the main entrace of The Dorchester we are surrounded by teenage girls, mobbed until they eventually accept their mistake that I am not Noel Scott Engel AKA Scott Walker of the Walker Bros.

Strangely a few months later we were in Kettners and a young lady asked me for my autograph but this time she thought I was the actor Hewel Bennet.

It has been all down hill since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

OK.  As we are reminiscing . . . .

I used to know John Walker quite well, but only socially.

He was a good friend of Alan Pye, who owned the Cumberland Hotel on the Yarmouth Rd in Thorpe, and whose wife Gaye, was a very well known model at the time.  What was known in the 60s as a "Dolly Bird"!  Do you remember the "Super National" petrol adverts on TV in the 60s? A beautiful blonde haired girl driving an E-Type with the hood down, holds her arm out to the side and a falcon lands on her wrist?  That was Gaye Pye.

Anyway, I digress!  John Walker was a regular in The Town House Club bar when he was staying with Alan and Gaye at weekends and we (the In Crowd) spent many an evening sitting round a table and chatting with him. A very pleasant, un-assuming man with lots of stories to tell.

But he never sang for us. His sort of music needed a lot of backing and suitable electronics.

So Pat Simpson and I sang to him instead. We could (and still can) do a rather passable version of the Everlys' songs, especially "Dream", "Crying in the rain" and "Take a message to Mary"  Also "Ebony Eyes" and "The Lightning Express", but those were reserved for when you wanted to make the girls cry!

I lament the passing of the Everly Brothers because they came from a time when pop musicians sang about how young people felt.  The intensity of young love, as well as the awful wrench, when young love is lost.

• Like 2

As a young poorly paid civil servant, money was never abundant for things like buying records but I never failed to buy a new release by the Everly Brothers. They had a sound all their own. Instantly recognisable. Guartanteed today to bring memories flooding back.

Carole

• Like 2