Arson ... Theiving and Thuggery

Guest smellyloo

I think the world is watching to see how things are handled at the moment.

Strangely though, it isn't the first time it's happened here, though previously on a smaller scale.

Brixton & Bristol come to mind, also at around this time of year, with the long summer evenings and milder weather.

One would think technology would have made controlling rioting easier, (high def CCTV etc.), but the Internet has also aided the "rioters", enabling semi-anonymous public communication in real time. That's something that the authorities should really get to grips with next time. Sites like Twitter should be taken temporarily offline, if they are unable to filter their content in real time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find particularly disturbing is the reason for the riots which has yet to be explained and the wide social diversity of the rioters. My home city is Liverpool and comparing todays events to those that happened in Toxteth during the 80's when yes there was deprivation, unfairness and bad policing is just unbelievable. While not everything is perfect, things are so very much better today and yet Liverpool and Manchester still fell to the anarchistic tendency that is always lurking just below the surface in todays society. Something is very wrong in our society and a lot has been said on this thread about respect and this is surely the key to the problem. Without respect we are on the slippery slope to mayhem and eventually a totalitarian (left or right) regime. Look at history and not only beware but be very frightened by the consequences if we don't get it right.

Fred

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

If they were born here and are British why do they not act like British people. :o

Graeme

Be very careful Graeme, you may be branded a bigot :norty::norty:;);)

With reference to the Great Geordie Philospher "Sid the Sexist", please Mods it is time to pull the plug on this thread. We all have views about this complex subject but it is pointless falling out over it.

Lets all move on.

Paul

theirs is no doubt in my mind that this thread should have never been allowed to go this far. does bill hold racisit and homophobic veiws ? no not at all, did he post a few ill thought out comments yes he did in my opinion. why was this thread allowed ? what does the subject matter have to do with the broads etc,etc. i found the fact that dan felt the need to post his comments re bills postings in public very distastefull and should of been done behind closed doors as it came across to me like a public and open put down of bill. i really do hope this thread is looked of now as it has gone to far. their are many other forums out their where these veiws can be aired.

N.O.R.W.I.C.H

What ever the rights and wrongs of that shooting, ask yourself one question, was it likely to have happened if he had not been carrying a gun? The guy was a criminal from a criminal family with a gun in his hand. Are the police supposed to wait for him to show intent to use it by waiting for him to make the first shot? Unfortunetly his death is a graphic example of what happens if you play with guns and it is no excuse for a riot. The initial protests were peaceful, until they were hijacked by chancers, extremists and those whose greed got the better of them and it was those same people making or repeating comments similar to that you just posted, which only tells a fraction of the whole story, that whipped up the frenzy. Mark Duggan's family are on record as saying they do not support the riots and did not want it in his memory, as has the very dignified Tariq Jahan, father of one of the three men run down in Birmingham.

N..O.R.W.I.C.H It is also not very clever to soundbite peoples comments out of context and present it as something else. The true sign of a troublemaker. Neil was talking about the rioters, I was responding in that context. We were not talking about the death of Mark Duggan, and my comment was in no way related to the death of Mark Duggan.

theirs is no doubt in my mind that this thread should have never been allowed to go this far. does bill hold racisit and homophobic veiws ? no not at all, did he post a few ill thought out comments yes he did in my opinion. why was this thread allowed ? what does the subject matter have to do with the broads etc,etc. i found the fact that dan felt the need to post his comments re bills postings in public very distastefull and should of been done behind closed doors as it came across to me like a public and open put down of bill. i really do hope this thread is looked of now as it has gone to far. their are many other forums out their where these veiws can be aired.

Andy,you have hit the nail right on the head,at least 2 of us are supporting Neil.sadly others are not

Oh dear... in post 9 of this thread I finished by saying

I am sure we all feel angry about the current situation but would just council to keep this thread within the bounds of the site TOS.

Sadly this advice seems to have been ignored.