First Impressions

andyg

I was watching some webcam coverage yesterday morning, whilst twiddling my thumbs at work. When I noticed a guy at a well known yard in Wroxham washing down one of the hire fleet. I'm guessing it was being prepared to go back out on hire. Now the water in there front basin has never been the cleanest, it has always had a film of oil or diesel sitting in the corners or up against the quay heading mounds of duck related crud in there as well. I know because I've been in it lol. I was quite taken back when the guy sloshed his mop into the basin and promptly started to wash down the steps to the upper deck and then the upper deck as well. Umm, not the best idea I would of thought. Maybe I'm being nieve here,  but I'm used to the way things where done at royalls and probably are still done at summercraft, where the boat is washed down properly. Even the times I  hired from CC at Wroxham,the boats were hosed down with fresh water  then they'd wipe away the excess etc. To me what I saw was just just like chucking a bucket of cr.p all over the boat. To my mind it's just another example of corners being cut not enough space or time to do the job properly. The boat I've mentioned costs an absolute fortune to hire this week and personally I'd expect better. Sorry for a bit of a rant and like I said maybe I'm nieve. 

• Like 2

We’re on the Broads this week and a lot of boats look like they have never seen a mop since March!

In the past I’ve seen Summercraft wash their boats from the windscreen to the waterline.

I know at least one yard only lifts their boats every 2 years so by now they are looking very neglected.

56 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I don't see what the issue is with using river water. Isn't that what the majority of people use to mop mud/goose poop etc. off the decks? I fact using a fresh water supply could be seen as wasting water unnecessarily.

You don't see an issue with using water contaminated with oil etc etc to wash down a seating area. OK fair enough, sadly I do. I never said I had an issue with using river water just this particular basin as I have first hand experience of it. Trust me clean is not a word that comes to mind. Can't see how washing a boat down with clean water could be considered a waste. Its part of the day to day operation of a boat yard so essential use I'd suggest.

• Like 1

There might be an oily sheen, but I suspect many yards have that as the merest drop will spread for a long way - not sure thats classed as contaminated! Before holding tanks I can see your point but what they are doing is not exactly cleaning muck with muck Mops go below the sheen and whatever you say, here in the East usage of any drinking water is a waste. Especially now in many cases they no longer always use boreholes as it depletes the aquifer.

To my mind drinking water is drinking water, not necessarily exclusively for washing down boats!!!

• Like 3