Sausage Roll

Andrewcook

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

As to getting ready made Sausage Rolls they don't seemed to have a lot of Sausage meat in them Is Gregg's Sausage Rolls  Fresh or Frozen any better? Or do your own? 

Making your own is easy.Quick way ready made puff pastry and sausage meat you can add some dried mixed herbs or freshly chopped herbs.Take one sheet of pastry, allow about an inch of the edge,add sausage  meat,same length. EGG wash pastry and roll make sure sealed,egg wash top .leave  in fridge for about half an hour,cut to size cook in oven for about 15 ,20 minutes  at 180c. 

If you make your own pastry what I use is trex  8oz plain flour, 4oz trex pinch of salt using  a folk gently mix together until like breadcrumbs.Slowly add cook water until comes away from the sides.Allow at least half an hour,then roll out and fill as I said before. 

Tip:Don't overwork the pastry insure it's cold before  rolling.This recipe is good for pies,pasties etc.

Homemade always better,knowing you've  made it yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would agree that home made are best, but if I have to have bought ones, I go for the pork and apple sausage rolls from Latham's bakery counter. The plain sausage ones are not bad either.  

Due to cholesterol concerns and the fact that I am hovering on the edge of type 2 diabetes these, very sadly,can only be a very occasional treat for the foreseable future. 

5 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

As to getting ready made Sausage Rolls they don't seemed to have a lot of Sausage meat in them Is Gregg's Sausage Rolls  Fresh or Frozen any better? Or do your own? 

If you can't decide whether you want a sausage roll or a meat pie, there's always one of these . . .

Potter's pies.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Quick way ready made puff pastry

not a fan of puff pastry sausage rolls, has to be flaky for me. If you're buying then you can't get much better than Greggs though the frozen ones available via a well known frozen food supermarket are not the same as those you buy in the shops. 

15 minutes ago, Paul said:

not a fan of puff pastry sausage rolls, has to be flaky for me. If you're buying then you can't get much better than Greggs though the frozen ones available via a well known frozen food supermarket are not the same as those you buy in the shops. 

Try my recipe for pastry. Very light very similar  to flaky pastry.