Flood Alert On The Yare From Thorpe St Andrew To Breydon Water

Dear all,

I thought I would forward this for your awareness.

An Environment Agency flood alert is in force for the tidal River Yare from Thorpe St Andrew to Breydon Water. Flooding is possible for the tidal River Yare, from Thorpe St Andrew to Breydon Water including Brundall, Cantley, Reedham and Burgh Castle today.

This message has been issued because some minor flooding to riverside roads and footpaths is likely from 2pm to 4pm, today Thursday 26 August. This is due to a natural tide locking effect. High tidal water moving up the rivers from Great Yarmouth, is currently restricting the normal drainage out to sea at low tide, of the Broads river system. We expect to see high water levels in Brundall and Reedham riverside areas. The Environment Agency are not currently expecting the situation to escalate, or to issue any further warning messages at this time. Take care on waterside roads and footpaths, and don't put yourself in unnecessary danger.

All the best,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday.

• Thanks 3

The forecast for the next week is fairly fresh winds from NNW<>N<>NNE. which does mean water piles up in the Southern North Sea, So the water does not leave The Broads easily.

Unfortunately it also means that temperatures will be pretty cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

The forecast for the next week is fairly fresh winds from NNW<>N<>NNE. which does mean water piles up in the Southern North Sea, So the water does not leave The Broads easily.

Unfortunately it also means that temperatures will be pretty cool.

At least Somerleyton Bridge should be operable 

• Like 1

It's not unusual this time of the year to have flooding. One year at about this time we got up one morning on Brundall Bay marina to find the front half of our car up to hub cap level in water. We had to open the rear hatch and get in that way. Fortunately we always kept  wellies on board . It used to be quite usual on the Gt Ouse too. Returning back to Hartford marina from Ely one August/early September,  due to  our air draft putting us at risk of hitting the underside of the road bridge we had to enter and exit Erith lock in reverse and emerged  to find a large expanse of water facing  us rather than  the river course. Luckily Tony knew that stretch very well and wasn't phased.

Carole

• Like 1

The first lock we ever negotiated ourselves was brownhill on the gt.ouse and the lockie at hermitage has warned us it was running a bit fast, confused by how a lock can run fast we found out when it was well over both gates, if it wasn't for wire fences we could have just gone around it.

Yes erith was about a mile wide with picnic benches poking out of the water, Easter 2001 I think it was.

• Like 1

I used to live in Rampton Cambs which is about 4 miles from Erith , one of my employees lived opposite Hermitage Marina , for a period of at least two weeks a year his journey to work was 9 miles due to the flooding that occurred annually , had he of lived in the center of Erith that journey would have been in excess of 26miles as the route via Haddenham , Cottenham would have been blocked by the main road flooding 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

What ever the weather The Broads are stunning , and peaceful 

Indeed. Even in mid winter there is tranquillity an unbelievable sence and appreciation of an awareness of calm. So often unable to be achieved in the normal day to day experiences of life. During a warm summer day and a restful evening there is a complete relaxation of life. Work issues, family problems, health worries, financial factors all fade away,  insignificant in the full scheme of things. That is why the rivers, the Norfolk Broads are special to me.

Andrew

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The first lock we ever negotiated ourselves was brownhill on the gt.ouse and the lockie at hermitage has warned us it was running a bit fast, confused by how a lock can run fast we found out when it was well over both gates, if it wasn't for wire fences we could have just gone around it.

Yes erith was about a mile wide with picnic benches poking out of the water, Easter 2001 I think it was.

Brownshill lock my bete noir. Horrible lock When the weather is lovely everywhere else it's blowing a hooley and pouring rain there. Once our Sheerline 950 got pinned  by wind against the concrete at the lock  entrance going down stream. A hired narrowboat ignoring our request to stay on the lock mooring till we had freed ourselves tried to enter the pen only to get pinned up against our port side.  I was frightened to look at the damage it had probably done. Fortunately Tony had anticipated this eventuality and had deployed all our spare fenders at high level so  no damage done. We eventualiy used both  thrusters and a good shove with the boat hook and at full throttle shot into the lock pen. A ghastly experience never to be forgotten.  The lock also has the quirk in that it is extremely slow to  empty/fill and if one yields to the temptation to push the relevent button  again to hurry it the mechanism stops and the whole procedure has to be  reversed then started again. As said horrible lock.

Carole

Don't think precision and tides go together!!

Firstly tides cannot read and in the Broads, there are many many factors that can have an impact - I think around midday is going to get as close as you can get. And even more importantly, I think the Aweigh app uses the assumption of 6hrs of flood followed by 6 hours of ebb - as you would expect at sea.  However on the Broads, for what its worth, I tend to believe in normal conditions, you can often only get 5 hrs of flood and then 7hrs of ebb because of the freshwater coming downstream.

Remember too we are on neaps too so without a flood warning, you would expect less rise and fall. For what its worth, I reckon around midday or perhaps a bit earlier, but in fact it could be anywhere between11.30 and about 13.00!!!

That any help????:default_cool:

• Thanks 1

The tide is a most amazing phenomenon. It never seems to conform to predictions. I have often been at Reedham at high tide and it is not. Hammering through.

On one occasion the tide overlapped the Quay. The water was half way up the mooring posts. And continuing. You could not see the edge of the mooring. Hire craft attempting to moor were in a muddle.  The Broads Authority Quay  Attendant was turning boats away. 

It was then that the most amazing happening occurred. A flood tide barrelling up the Yare and the water level recided dramatically revealing a mud strewn Quay heading. 

How deep was the flood? Where was the ebb  in relationship to the flood. 

A tide defies human logic or definition. 

When you come to understand that you may consider yourself a boatman.

I wish I was a boatman.

• Like 2