Well Well Well! What Do I Do Now?

I understand the naming and shaming rules of the forum so I shall try tobe carefull here.

A few days ago, I was moored at Neatished and had had an enjoyable session in the White Horse. somewhat pickled, I sat on the bench at the moorings and watched the day pass, as was my wont.

Someone known to me, approached and asked if I had any spirits on board. Being a little the worse for wear, I said yes and invited him onboad for a drink. After he had consumed the best part of half a litre of Captain Morgan's he left. no problem there!

A few days later he was at Sutton staithe... as was I!

Once again he got chatting and I invited him in (I had just had a session in the Hotel).This time he wiped out the best part of half a litre of Scotch!, again he left, again no problem. But... Just before 9am the following morning, he came knocking on the boat asking for whisky. He knew I had it on board, he had seen in the store I had.

I declined his request saying it was too early for me. He then asked if he could take some, I declined that request as well.

Now I hear he has started approaching my friends and telling them that if they knew what he knew, they would want nothing to do with me. I heard this from one of my friends who he had approached to say this!

Apart from feeling that this is poor repayment for the hospitality and friendship I showed him I find myself wondering what I can do about it!

I had even concidered keeping Vodka on board as it is his preferred tipple. certainly no chance of that now as he is no longer welcome on my boat.

I'm not sure what to do about this!

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 7

I don't know you and I don't know him. 

Your honour and reputation will be well known to those who are important to you.

His reputation will, likewise, if not already, become apparent.

Takes me back to my childhood when my Mum used to say, "Take no notice of them; it's just a 9 day wonder."

• Like 1

M M - sorry you have had this happen to you.     What a complete ar.e this creature is.     This is the thanks you get for being hospitable.   I doubt the way he is drinking , and dont get me wrong I like a tipple or two but to drink to that degree , he will not have long to live.      Crumbs Whisky and Rum are not exactly cheap.     I bet he thought he had won the lottery when he hooked up with you.   All his Christmases come at once.     

Every encounter I have had with you , John, over the years have brightened my week , those that know you I’m sure would feel the same ; when I had my accident you went out of your way to ensure medical help had arrived before you would leave me despite me saying you should go and enjoy yourself .

Katie and I are proud to consider you a friend 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Oldspice said:

Stay clear and distance yourself from himJohn... both myself and the Mrs know you from a couple of meets and always consider you of good standing and most of all a  friend.

Standing? You must have found him early afternoon, because any later and he's usually sort of slouched. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

Hi John

Can you remember that magical forum meet at Salhouse, before Covid. There was an “esprit de corp” amongst the members which few Norfolk broads forums have ever equalled or indeed maintained.

I have fond memories of meeting you in the company of Vaughan, his wife and mine over an enjoyable glass or two that evening. Over and above which I was unable to count.

Unfortunately due to Covid we see “empty tables, empty chairs”

Still empty for some of us and certainly for some of my friends, and indeed yours.

An anguish we all share.

Be aware of those who wish to take advantage and be aware of the number of genuine friends that you have.

Friends who will soon fill those table and chairs.

Andrew and Anne

• Like 4

You have obviously found this to be very distressing. Don't give it another thought. My mother used to have a saying for this type of situation which went "you can always stoop and pick up nothing" This person  is obviously a  no mark  with an alcohol problem to boot - big time! If he had come to you with this story about someone   else, you would  no doubt have taken it with a pinch  of salt.That's what decent folk will do. And who cares what the other sort thinks?

Carole

What can I say? To say I'm moved by all your comments would be an understatement bordering on criminality.  Thank you, all of you.

Of course all of you who advised that I ignore his actions are quite right, and that is what I shall do. 

I still struggle to keep within the ToS about naming and shaming, and will await advice from the moderators on this. The problem I have at the moment is that I have learned from more than one source that the police were called because he (alledgedly) broke into someones boat at Sutton Staithe.

I have not heard what if anything was taken, nor what damage done, if any, but I suspect he was after booze.

Obviously, as the police have been involved, I shall say no more. Sadly this means I cannot be specific in any form of warning to you all. 

For the meantime all I can do is remind you all to secure your boats fully if on the Ant.  

i will add (because it has amused me) I hear that even Carl and his friends (of Toad/Pelican fame) have a very low opinion of this fellow!

• Like 3