Brooms In The 1980s

Broads01

This Brooms brochure captures the period well. I particularly like the boatyard photo at the bottom of photo 7 of the listing. The former Brundall Riverside Stores is visible on the left - happy childhood memories for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooms-Norfolk-Broads-boating-holiday-brochure-1987-/284431549830?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 2

We hired P565 Sealord in 1984, happy times. A very smart boat, but the wheelhouse top took three of us to raise and lower! It was later changed to a canvas hood with drop sides, I think. It's still about, moored at one of the bungalows in Horning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Regulo said:

We hired P565 Sealord in 1984, happy times. A very smart boat, but the wheelhouse top took three of us to raise and lower! It was later changed to a canvas hood with drop sides, I think. It's still about, moored at one of the bungalows in Horning.

Wasn't Great gem from Stalham the same design as the sealords?? 

When we returned Sealord at Brooms after our two week holiday in 1984, we had to complain about the fact that 5 of the 7 berths got soaked when it rained. The staff member on handover duty told us that they'd made 3, and all had issues of moisture ingress. He intimated there wouldn't be any more! Possibly the third went direct to the private market. A shame, the design suited us perfectly, and I'm sure the problems could have been sorted.

According to Craig's database, 2 Great Gems were built but one was destroyed in the 80's, I saw the other one For Sale within the last year or so.

There appears to have been only the one Sealord, she was off the Broads for a while as saw her For Sale elsewhere but has now returned to Horning.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Regulo said:

I guess you weren't the only ones to complain about the wheelhouse. I remember the later wheelhouse. As I recall, in its Richardson's days, there was an additional berth in that wheelhouse the use of which must have felt like camping.

Jim and Peggy Cole were a lovely couple who were good friends of my parents.  They also owned Tidecraft Cruisers, on the same piece of riverside property.

Peggy used to run the shop while Jim did the "front of house" on the quay, getting boats moored up and making sure they moved on as soon as they had shopped.  They did a roaring trade in the 50s and 60s, especially on a Sunday morning, in the days of the Jenner Group in Thorpe.

Their son, Jim junior, went on to found the Norfolk Yacht Agency.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, WherryNice said:

According to Craig's database, 2 Great Gems were built but one was destroyed in the 80's, I saw the other one For Sale within the last year or so.

There appears to have been only the one Sealord, she was off the Broads for a while as saw her For Sale elsewhere but has now returned to Horning.

She was moored at NBYC yesterday 

Can I just clarify some earlier comments on Sealord. As far as I know 3 of the Aquafibre 40 Saxons were built as suggested. The initial pair were actually Great Gems in 1980 presumably by Richardsons/Brooms for Richardsons. Sealord a Broom build followed in 1981 with a different centre cockpit arrangement designed to mimic the classic Admiral class.

Neil

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2021 at 07:43, Vaughan said:

They did a roaring trade in the 50s and 60s, especially on a Sunday morning, in the days of the Jenner Group in Thorpe.

Come to think of it, I don't know why someone doesn't open a riverside shop in Brundall again.  It's a heck of a walk up that hill and back with all the shopping and I for one, will not try it again!  Best to go to Thorpe Green or the Commissioners' Cut, and hop on the bus to Sainsburys.

• Like 2