topcraft

andyg

hi guys, was told today that topcraft will be closing its doors as a broads hire yard at the end of this season, really bad news for the southen based hire fleets. we have hired boats from them in the past (the floating caravans) and allways found the service and welcome first class. dont no what the reasons are for closing but guess its the same as whisspering reeds (cant make it pay) i wonder what will happen to the top liner classes what yard if any will add them to their fleets ? any thoughts on them clive ?? we were also told that sanderson may shut up shop aswell not surprised with that one as the fleet is looking very old now, never hired from them but allways seemed nice guys when we would stop for water/pump out. lets hope that paciffic at loddon pick up some of their customers as they seem to have improved their fleet over the last couple of years.

I heard this about Topcraft about 4 weeks ago and forgot to post it on here,one of the rangers told me at Oulton Broad Yacht station..

Also you lose the Fuel and Pumpout facilties as well.The Ranger also told me that they were thinking of doing a floating pumpout station..

This is sad news, especially as they were the last hirebase on Oulton Broad.

It'd be interesting to hear what finally made them decide to close the doors.

I've been hoping the boats might live on somewhere else. I'm not too keen on the caravan style ones but they seem to let OK, and I like Blue Kestrel & Princess Royal (the Connoisseur 42') very much :grin:

All the best

Dan

Sad indeed, we need service bases all over the network.

Dad remembers Oulton Broad..

Fletchers,

Darbys,

Otto Hefft (Waveny Cruisers)

Newsons (not the salt side which we owned)

Richardsons (still the best :love ) sold to Austin Marine 1959

Hoseasons (Wally and James) Sold to St George Yachts who tried to compete with the 'Dragon' class.

Little Ships,

Fowlers (Jack)

Robinsons (Leo)

Parkers (Will) he died during the war, we bought the yard then sold to Hamptons in 1959.

Truman,

Collins (Harry) sold to Topcraft

The guys at Mutford told us about this when we were waiting to lock out the other week.

They were hoping to keep the pump out etc operative but more than that I don't know.

BTW the disused warehouse they made the low budget Zombie film at looks hideous with its poor camouflage paint work, I am surprised a certain resident of Oulton Broad has not made representations to the BA, because it must be their fault :naughty:

I heard that another Southern based yard had looked over the boats and considered the caravans to be over priced and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

You heard right. I too feel that £40k is way too much for these quirky vessels. Just look what £40k will buy you elsewhere. At the right money, I'd have one of them, but this is nowhere near the right money.

Might seem a lot but as it is 'Quirky' perhaps that is why they average the weeks they do on the southern broads which some northern operators would be more than happy with...

if a operator bought this boat the VAT would come off, there would probably be some bookings and the database (unless these have been sold with the other boats)

Also because of the individuality of the boat she may be cheaper than converting an existing vessel...?

Hi clive dose that mean ur be looking at them, we have hired one before and found them very comfy, they were based the wrong side of yarmouth for us, now if they were lets say based at acle or stalham we would hire one again, wink wink

Might seem a lot but as it is 'Quirky' perhaps that is why they average the weeks they do on the southern broads which some northern operators would be more than happy with...

if a operator bought this boat the VAT would come off, there would probably be some bookings and the database (unless these have been sold with the other boats)

Also because of the individuality of the boat she may be cheaper than converting an existing vessel...?

Even at £32K, It's a lot of money.

I've always liked the look of these boats; quirky is good. But is it £32K good?

Very sad about Topcraft. A very innovative yard . I recall their 'Lady of Spain' Caribbeans with the flying bridge. Very much ahead of their time. Must say for a yard about to close their boats were beautifully presented when we were down in June. They seemed to be all out on hire as well which makes me wonder if there is perhaps a land value issue for closing? I do remember in the 60s when they were marketed by Bradbeers they operated as Robinson-Topcraft.

To add to Clives list I can include

Bell Marine

Broadsway

C & M Cruisers

Collen

A. Fuller

Kevincraft

Knight Creek

F. Miller

Millstream

Orient Cruisers

W.S. Parker

Pegg

Pye

Stock & Morris

Fred

Very sad about Topcraft. A very innovative yard . I recall their 'Lady of Spain' Caribbeans with the flying bridge. Very much ahead of their time. Must say for a yard about to close their boats were beautifully presented when we were down in June. They seemed to be all out on hire as well which makes me wonder if there is perhaps a land value issue for closing? I do remember in the 60s when they were marketed by Bradbeers they operated as Robinson-Topcraft.

To add to Clives list I can include

Bell Marine

Broadsway

C & M Cruisers

Collen

A. Fuller

Kevincraft

Knight Creek

F. Miller

Millstream

Orient Cruisers

W.S. Parker

Pegg

Pye

Stock & Morris

Fred

Hi Fred,

not sure if I am stating the obvious here but my list was a list of yards operating on Oulton broad at the same time!

(good addition to the list though :) )

Hi Clive, some of the names I listed are pre 1940! The most number of businesses hiring in one go was I think around the late 60's when there seems to have been six Blakes, five Bradbeer, two Broads Holidays and eight Hoseasons operations. I say businesses rather than boatyards because some of the small boys seem to run from others and I'm pretty confident at least one (Orient Cruisers) operated from the yacht station.

My impression of Oulton around this time on hiring from Little Ships was one of organised chaos. All the yards in that area seemed to be one big one with little boundary between them and boats seemed to be just everywhere. Mayhem, it was great! How different it was when I hired from Hamptons in the 80s, the almost shanty town was now neat housing.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Dad and Grandad used to run the day boats from the 'Free quay' and the hire boats from the Commodore road site, when he ownd the ex Hamptons site the boats were rafted from each side with not much room to access the other yards, It was then he realised that the hire fleet had outgrown the yards..

he moved up to Stalham and had a better season in the first year than the operators on the southern broads.. says it all really.

hi guys. their was a guy who hired a bourne design like richos royal gem from the boat shed next to the slipway at the hotel, the boat was dark green but i cant remember her name or the owners. id love to see any old photos of oulton broad back in its hay day, top craft have or did have a great photo hanging in their office of one of newsons boats crossing the broad and it looks more like the north sea it was crossing. one of my other memories of oulton broad is oulton pearl what a horrible boat that was and another was trumans top deck allways wanted dad to hire her but he wouldnt, look forward to seeing any photos

andy

I remember that "Royal Gem" look alike. Well I do now that you've jogged the old grey matter! Can't remember who's it was . Now I do remember Truemans "Top Deck' American style cruiser which had a huge saloon area and looked very majestic. Hate to think what she was like to handle in a strong wind. No bow thrusters then! Then there was 'Oulton Pearl' Looked like a squashed up motor yacht!

• 1 month later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Last weekend i was looking (on e-bay i think?), and they were advertising their Hamptons for £17,000+ each. Also, on page 1 of this thread, Dolphin refers to a southern yard looking at the fleet to which Freedom holidays agrees with, is this true, and if so, does anybody know which yard it was, and whether or not they`ve actually taken them over. Come on Dan, you`re usually the man in the know?.