topcraft

andyg

Many years ago when I had a family so required a larger boat, the northern broads was my destination of choice, why? Because my children hated the south, nothing too look at, nothing to do "their words not mine "

When my children were off hand and it was just Carol and myself the south came back on the radar, however, smaller boats(for 2) became the norm.

I don't know if this is normal for other people/families but it held true for us.

hi james

Let's keep the questions coming and the follow-ups civil.

i agree most wholeheartedly and would like to thank you and any other broads businesses who contribute and i hope that

you wont be put off by the occasional bad mannered and churlish post.

jill cheers

A business is a business run to make a profit; yes it is really without profit businesses won't be there tomorrow.

As individuals we have 'customer choice' we might not like some of the decisions businesses that supply us make or do and can vote with our feet.

I don't feel that hurling insults does anything to add to any argument make your point but don't let it descend into insults - this forum is better than that.

By all means have your opinions but accept the business owner is entitled to his. He is best placed to know how and what is best for his business despite what some may think; its his cash he is putting into it and his right to do as he sees fit, and he is allowed to change his mind surely?

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Completely agree, Paul....... why anybody would want to go to, or stay, North during the Summer season beats me............... guaranteed bumps,knocks or worse and very few mooring spaces... :cry:cry:cry

But that's a private boat's view. What thinks you, Neil?

I have to aggree with you and Paul on that score John, but as much as Karen and i enjoyed the peace and quiet of the southern side last year, people should remember all the pubs and buisness`s that have gone by the way side due to the lack of trade. That said, i do think that with more southern based hire craft, there would have at least seen more trade for those buisness`s. One other thing people should consider is that it can use up 2 days of a holiday to travel from the north to the south, and vice verca, which puts a lot of people who want a relaxing cruise, off heading south, so it`s no wonder that more boats DON`T venture south, but those that have, have more often than not said how they`ve loved it.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Insults?, well i`ve just read through all my original posts, and i`m stuffed if if can see ANY insults. Maybe they`re like those comments "verging on the slanderous", NON EXISTANT. Please tell me Perry and Eddie, just exactly where these insults are?.

One more question, please please please, tell me just exactly where i`ve said others are NOT entitled to their opinions?. I do seem to remember saying "i`l have my say etc etc and then i`l let others have their say, and i`l respect it, and their rite to have it", AND i also respect their rite to voice (or post) it, which on recent evidence is more than some members on this forum are prepared to do, moderators included.

"Insults" and "verging on the slanderous"?, i like that :lol::lol: .

If, as you say the southern side is so popular why have all the yards closed,I agree what your saying about it been less busy down that side but there has to be a reason the southern yards closed in the first place,If WRC have chosen to run there boats from Horning surely its there choice as its there business after all!

Andy

hi neil

i dont know what has rattled your cage lately but i look forward to the return of the neil that attached the sig .......

"Good manners and politeness cost nothing, but can buy a lot of respect, grattitude, and appreciation, so why raise hell, when it`s better to raise a smile?".

If, as you say the southern side is so popular why have all the yards closed,I agree what your saying about it been less busy down that side but there has to be a reason the southern yards closed in the first place,If WRC have chosen to run there boats from Horning surely its there choice as its there business after all!

Andy

couldn't agree more Andy

Jonny

Eddie - still hoping for perhaps a comment on your new "craft" I understand you towed back to the WRC after the high tides - or better still a picture!!!!!

Or am I asking too much??? :wave

I thought I was a well-informed fish - but honestly marshman I have no idea what you're referring to? Can you give me a clue? The only stuff we dragged back was a couple of canoes, some barrels and some timber. Not much comedy value there I'm afraid...

Ok Eddie - I seem to have been misinformed and like the fish tale it obviously got embellished in the telling!!!!! I was told you had to tow the shed back!!!! With apologies - shame really that would have been a good piccy!!!!!! :lol:

well yes that would indeed have been jolly amusing. But no - sorry to disappoint :grin:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
hi neil

i dont know what has rattled your cage lately but i look forward to the return of the neil that attached the sig .......

"Good manners and politeness cost nothing, but can buy a lot of respect, grattitude, and appreciation, so why raise hell, when it`s better to raise a smile?".

Nothing has rattled MY cage Jill, i was just a bit surprised at the way Eddie answered my opinions. I certainly HAVE`NT been slanderous or even rude for that matter (as i`ve stated MORE than once), so it came across that it was ME that was under attack, purely because i happen to disagree with someones "buisness plan". And i also don`t think there was any need for Perry to acuse me of being insulting, but hey, lets just have everybody having another bash DAYTONA-BILL week, my skins thick enough to take it, even if Eddie`s is`nt. I don`t think i`l post anymore on this.

hi neil

lets just have everybody having another bash DAYTONA-BILL week

ive not known members or mods go gunning for a member for no good reason neil.

i really think that a less popular member would be in worse trouble by now.

im sure ive seen mentioned in a reply post to you before that capitals on the web used as you have are understood to be

the equivalent to SHOUTING so you have been SHOUTING your opinions on a regular basis which does not always go down well

and may have been a contributing reason to your ban from another forum ? i dont know.

one of the things that i often do as a mod faced with a member that seems to be having problems is to look back

at their posts to see if its unusual behaviour etc

jill

Bill,

Perhaps in hindsight I should have substituted 'slanging' instead of 'insults' so accept my apologies for that. However capital letters on a forum denote shouting and this coupled with some of your terms of phrase at times give the impression of a very aggressive response.

We are all entitled to an opinion free speech within the TOS; this is all fine but we pride ourselves on being a measured and friendly forum so lets draw a line under things and start again.

Neil i love your posts as you say it the way it is,if only more people would do that instead of being two faced about life.

Now i will be in the bad books with you again.

Graeme :evil::evil:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
hi neil

ive not known members or mods go gunning for a member for no good reason neil.

i really think that a less popular member would be in worse trouble by now.

im sure ive seen mentioned in a reply post to you before that capitals on the web used as you have are understood to be

the equivalent to SHOUTING so you have been SHOUTING your opinions on a regular basis which does not always go down well

and may have been a contributing reason to your ban from another forum ? i dont know.

one of the things that i often do as a mod faced with a member that seems to be having problems is to look back

at their posts to see if its unusual behaviour etc

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6991&p=81449#p81449

jill

Well, i did say i would`nt post anymore on this, but i`l just explain something, and then that`ll my last post on this thread. When i`m typing a post and i want to emphasise either a word or phrase, i put it in capitals to highlight it, thus putting the emphasis on that word. I DON`T use capitals to shout at people on a screen. It`s something i`ve always done, and probably always will. Unfortunately, i can`t do anything about other peoples perceptions on how i phrase things, AND how they interpret any of my posts. If you`ve read my posts Jill, i`m sure you`ll see i don`t use accepted "text style abreviations" etc, so i don`t know anything about supposedly accepted uses of capital letters in the context of a thread. Quite simply, when i use capital letters in a post, i`m NOT shouting (emphasis on the word "not").

As for your comment regarding the reason i was banned from "another forum", i think that`s no buisness whatsoever to do with THIS (not shouting) forum, or any of it`s moderators etc, but between that other forum`s officialdom and me only, and that you have acted in an extrememly unfair manner in bringing it to the attention of everybody on the NBN.

Finally, i feel quite upset at the thought that people take offence at any of my posts, purely and simply because they have wrongly (in all innocence) percieved the manner in which they are written. I`ve always accepted and respected other people have a rite to their own opinions, and their rite to hold them, and also, i have always accepted and respected their rite to air them, and have never complained about any other forum members posts. I just wish SOME on here would in future treat me with the same dignity?.

hi neil

As for your comment regarding the reason i was banned from "another forum", i think that`s no business whatsoever to do with THIS (not shouting) forum,

your right and i apologise and will remove the link from my post

as for the use of capitals there is nothing else i can say but that that is the way most peeps that dont know you may take it

ive had my say and im sorry if i over stepped the line but i meant it well.

jill

For my tuppence worth, I think it's worth everybody taking some time to post responses in a public environment having properly read pervious posts, using carefuk wording and being fully aware that a misplaced CAPITALISATION may be ill advised when alternative emphasis is more appropraite. Capitals are widely considered to be shouting among internet users and therefore as unwelcome in a healthly debate as is not putting your hand up in thanks for being let out of a road junction when out driving.

It is, perhaps, unreasonable and unrealistic to expect people to adapt to and accept your way of doing things when the etiquette is quite different. What about all those people who've not read your posts that say "hey, this is me, accept it" who think (with the greatest respect), "what a nob"? Other people's perception of you in a faceless environment can only be manipulated by the way that you conduct yourself.

Perhaps it's strengthening the rod for your own back?

Just my opinion, you understand and I fully accept you're entitled to yours.

last year proved to be a record year for boats getting stuck on Breydon

Does anybody know where these "records" are listed? I think it would make interesting reading.

Actually, whether the original post was accurate or not BA have recognised that last year a higher than average number of boats required ranger assistance / rescue assistance after becoming stuck on Breydon. I recently read that there will, apparently, following a minuted point at a recent meeting (I will read through tomorrow and find it), be a revised and more comprehensive article in Broadcaster ready for the new season.

As for the rest of the argument I am just watching on the sidelines, certainly James has a good day boat business at WRC but judging by the reducing number of hire craft on the Southern Broads I would think that WRC is suited more as a destination than a starting and finishing yard. They are geared up for this kind of hiring at Horning, economically changing the existing business plan involves investment at some level and now may not be the best time for that investment. What James has identified is a growing camping market and has chosen to invest in that - that is their business choice. Sadly no business is a service, they can offer a good service as a part of a business, but not hope to run a business on the back of offering a service.

On the other hand, as neil rightfully points out, alot of boats are making the journey South and losing that time travelling, Reedham Quay has been much busier this last year (perceivably) and Le Boat may have assessed that there is now a need on the Southern Broads for more boats - but unless they publish their business rationale too, no one will know. maybe in these changing times legislation will come into force which will mean all business owners have to publish their wages, their dividends and the difference in pay between themselves and the lowest paid, who knows, they may have to make all their business plans public, but for now, all of that is between them, their advisors and accountants, and whilst it is prudent for business owners to listen carefully to criticism, and blatent rants (as some of these often hold common opinions), they are under no obligation to act on them in any way. If they did McDonalds would bring back the mini ribs, KFC would bring back ribs, spangles would still be in the shops, a marathon wouldn't be a snickers and I would be on a million quid a year!!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...