First Time Going To Sea

Hi all,

So my wife and I have been enjoying our first boat, a 35ft sports cruiser, on the Broads this summer but we're both itching to make the next step and try her at sea.

Whilst I appreciate a RYA course would certainly be a good idea, talking to alot of fellow boaters it seems most have not bothered and advise in good conditions, with pre-planning and respect we shouldn't be too nervous on having a little out and return from Great Yarmouth, possibly down to Lowestoft or Southwold to get a feel for it.

I realise this weekend would probably not be ideal with springs and early LW. We also have an airdraft of 9'6" so have to plan Haven Bridge accordingly.

We have VHF, GPS chartplotter, paper charts and recommended safety equipment less a liferaft. I have an aviation background which has helped my understanding of various elements but realise there is still alot to learn.

I'd welcome any advice on this or whether it would be plain crazy to go ahead without any formal training.

Also, if only transitting through GrYarmouth Harbor will any fees be due?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Weather wise watch for wind going opposite direction to the tidal stream as will make it a good deal harsher for the same wind speed, wind with tide smooths it, wind agaist makes it short and sharp, and check for the weather window home before leaving.

At 9'6" you should get under haven bridge LW +- 2.5 hours, I like 9' and rarely get close at LW +- 3 hours.

Fuel is the biggy to consider, when did the boat last go to sea and have the tanks been checked, diesel bug can go un-noticed for years on the rivers but a bit of a chop can kick up lots of crud and block filters very quickly and even the best conditions are normally choppy on the way in and out, tidal rivers interact with tidal streams and the water gets confused, add to that the fact that most boats have been under used for the last 18 months due to covid means lots of tanks are harbouring old fuel and sludge, when people say about a rough crossing on breydon they are normally meaning a slight ripple in comparison to what you may find.

If you can cruise at 15-18 knots southwold is an easy 1 1/4 hour run from the mouth at yarmouth and accessible at all tides in a mobo but call first to make sure they have space, don't be tempted to coast hug get out there into the bouyed channels and it will be easier and safer, stay half a mile out and approach at 310 degrees and you will miss all the sandbanks, once in through the piers hug the north side past the lifeboat shed and drift back to the middle of the river after.

Cruise with carers (sorry I mean "in company") takes a lot of the achievement away compared to planning properly yourself and going for it.

Did I metion fuel? Yes it needs more than just the one thought and is probably one of the biggest lifeboat callout causes.

windguru.cz is a superb site for wind forecasts and can be homed in to lowestoft.

Check the vhf well and remember a radio check with humber coastguard isn't the best test as they have masts all over the place so will hear a dodgy setup most of the time, let yarmouth radio know once under haven and call again by the lifeboat shed before proceeding, the lights will be traight ahead of you at that point, and call in before you enter from sea as well.

Yarmouth and southwold are on CH12, lowestoft are on CH14.

And don't forget to check the fuel........ You will use a lot more at sea speed.

Did I mention fuel issues? It really is the most likley cause of problems.

Now get out there and enjoy it.

• Like 8

Thank you for all your advice. Much appreciated.

The boat was in use on the south coast until I bought and moved her up to the broads by road in July so hopefully the fuel is ok. I’ve put a couple of hundred litres of fresh fuel through her since and the engine and boat filters were clean when I replaced them a couple of weeks ago.

I’m now considering going out/in for a couple on hours on Saturday via Lowestoft, is there anything else I should be aware of other than booking the lock/bridges? Is there anything memorable to see other than tear arsing up and down the coast? Somebody mentioned seals!? Are dolphins ever encountered?

Will there be any harbour charges due other than the lock fee?

Thanks

Yarmouth harbour dues are waived for vessels vising the broads so effectively no charge, I've never had any mention of a charge through lowestoft either but don't go that way often.

Plenty of seals on scroby sand which is a short trip out from yarmouth, I've seen the odd harbour porpoise around the east coast but never a dolphin, seen a few beached whales in lowestoft but they were walking on the promenade eating donuts.....

There used to be a pontoon in the trawl dock at lowestoft for waiting for the bridge but no land access, I assume it's still there.

If you do one of the cruises with carers I would suggest always have your own passage plan, I spoke to some in southwold once that didn't seem to have a clue what times and routes they were aiming for just following the pack, that is a bad way to do things.

For the east coast rivers the east coast pilot is a superb book written by locals with a well updated website https://eastcoastpilot.com/, they release entrance chartlets for the ore and deben early most seasons on the website, if going further south http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/ is the equivalent with lots of useful chartlets, it's worth buying both books just to support the websites.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

I think you will struggle with Haven Bridge - I'm pretty sure it is still not lifting and so taking a weekend trip down to Lowestoft and locking through Mutford would probably be the best plan

A couple of points though:

Although you need no formal training, it is almost impossible to operate without VHF, you will need it to hail bridges / locks / port authorities etc, so please make sure someone is correctly licensed onboard.

Popping out from Lowestoft is going to be the safer option as, once past Haven Bridge at Yarmouth, there is nowhere except Town Hall Quay (Concrete walls) to get back to if things dont go according to to plan, whereas, nosing out of Lowestoft for a blast gives easy access back to the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk or the waiting pontoon on the Trawl Dock.

Mutford lock charges each way unless the journeys are on the same day - in which case 24hrs PPR is required - Bascule Bridge lifts at fixed times and only requires a 20 mins booking - the journey from mutfod to Bascule is circa 25 mins - although there is a swing rail bridge immediately after the lock but has alot more draft than similar ones at Sommerleyton and Reedham.

Enjoy your trip and please consider a course or taking someone / cruising in company prior to cruising as the Broads are very different to sea cruising.

Lastly insurance - most broads / sea policies also require you to inform your insurance company of your plans.. crab and lobster pots adorn our coastline and can spoil your day very quickly and turn the RNLI into your best friend!

On 06/09/2021 at 20:00, orion1210 said:

Thank you for all your advice. Much appreciated.

The boat was in use on the south coast until I bought and moved her up to the broads by road in July so hopefully the fuel is ok. I’ve put a couple of hundred litres of fresh fuel through her since and the engine and boat filters were clean when I replaced them a couple of weeks ago.

I’m now considering going out/in for a couple on hours on Saturday via Lowestoft, is there anything else I should be aware of other than booking the lock/bridges? Is there anything memorable to see other than tear arsing up and down the coast? Somebody mentioned seals!? Are dolphins ever encountered?

Will there be any harbour charges due other than the lock fee?

Thanks

Also, be careful for fuel purchased on the Broads, it is often just dyed road fuel and more prone to attracting moisture and bug, whereas dedicated marine fuel is FAME free without the horrid filter ruining and clogging bio diesel!

On 05/09/2021 at 21:22, Smoggy said:

, when people say about a rough crossing on breydon they are normally meaning a slight ripple in comparison to what you may find.

Truest statement I have ever read on here! once had a ranger telling me it was closed! I'd just re-entered Yarmouth from 2.5m waves in a force 7 and Breydon was nice and flat in comparison. I thanked him for his 'advice' accordingly and pointed out the 'closed' status was instigated for hire craft and that I was responsible for my own navigation thank you!!

Hi Orion If sailing on the inshore route watch out for the crab pots the first pot posts can be hard to see just remember that once you see the first one all the rest of that string are in a straight line just adjust your track accordingly. Also have decent pr of sunglasses with a safty string. John