Slow Cooker / Halogen

Scotty

I’ve been wondering about that one too. I have also been considering getting one of those cookers that like a super insulated flask where you start off the dish on a normal stove and then transfer it and leave it all day to cook. The ‘Foxes Afloat’ did a demo of a curry cooked in one of those. Seems a very fuel efficient way of cooking. 

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve been wondering about that one too. I have also been considering getting one of those cookers that like a super insulated flask where you start off the dish on a normal stove and then transfer it and leave it all day to cook. The ‘Foxes Afloat’ did a demo of a curry cooked in one of those. Seems a very fuel efficient way of cooking. 

Many years ago we had something similar in my Scout troop, a tea chest filled with hay with a Dixie sized hole in the middle. Porridge for 24 was boiled up last thing and carefully nestled inside with a 6" thick lid weighed down on top - perfect breakfast the next day!

A 200w slow cooker will pull about 22amps out of the battery per hour. A typical battery bank for the inverter will be 220amp hours. So, a 7 hour cook will take around 75% of the battery power. If you're running the engine during this, the drain will be less, but remember, your battery bank is not a limitless supply of power and the shorter days lead to longer nights when you will probably want power for the TV. 

Things to seriously think about. A call-out to the boatyard for flat batteries is a drain on everyone's energy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oddfellow said:

A 200w slow cooker will pull about 22amps out of the battery per hour. A typical battery bank for the inverter will be 220amp hours. So, a 7 hour cook will take around 75% of the battery power. If you're running the engine during this, the drain will be less, but remember, your battery bank is not a limitless supply of power and the shorter days lead to longer nights when you will probably want power for the TV. 

Things to seriously think about. A call-out to the boatyard for flat batteries is a drain on everyone's energy. 

I'll use the slow cooker while moving and hopefully moor where there is a electric post if I've planned my 2 weeks out right plan a and plan b 😉 I should be on a post in Oct 

I understand the battery's draining a far bit I will use it but only a few times but on a post I hope don't want to unnecessarily call the engineers out 

We tend to take them, along with tinned hotdogs, soup and yes baked beans etc. Maybe even a pasta bake....

Mrs OG is quite adept at making sure we don't often need to use them, but they're always very handy if we need to spend the night somewhere without a pub or even just have lunch on the mudweight somewhere when it is rammed.

Takes up very little space, doesn't need to go in the fridge, has an expiry date some time in the next millennium and makes sure you don't go hungry.

I remember a boating trip where we'd planned a barbecue for the first night and had lots of goodies aboard for that but not much else as we were going to go shopping the next day. We had biblical rain that evening and didn't want to just cook them up aboard as it wasn't the same.

Only trouble was there was nothing else in the cupboard apart from a pasta bake and a Fray Bentos.... I suspect@Dan still recalls that delicious evening meal combo that I served up :default_norty: 

• Like 1

We tend to do the slow cooking at home, freeze the meals (chilli, casserole, curry, ragu or whatever) and bring them to the boat frozen. They take a day or two to thaw out or can be kept frozen longer in the ice compartment of our fridge. Then it is only a matter of warming up the meal and cooking any accompaniments on the boat.

• Like 1