Boating Heaven

Monday 6th September

We were packed, breakfasted and ready for the off for 0830 which was the earliest the bridge would open if it could. As it turned out, it was still broken and we made the short trip to the boatyard in a Caley Cruisers van which arrived promptly. It was slightly frustrating not to be able to complete the last mile or so of our canal journey but in truth far more of an issue for Caley and their incoming customers. I gathered it was a new swing bridge this year but has been beset with problems. Back at the boatyard we awaited a taxi booked for 11am to take us to the airport for an early afternoon flight to Bristol. Caley looked after us again, taking care of our luggage and offering us comfy seats in their briefing room which had a coffee machine. At 10am the stranded boats, including ours, returned and turnaround routines could finally begin. Our taxi duely arrived and it was a relaxing flight back to close to home.

Overall

Wow, what a holiday that was. I had long wanted to go boating on the Caledonian and I well and truly fulfilled that ambition. The combination of pretty canal sections, fun locks and beautiful lochs made it a holiday I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone, especially Broads fanatics. Caley Cruisers are the people to hire from and their superb boat made it all the more memorable. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Very pleased to read your write up Simon, we just booked with Caley Cruisers for next July a few weeks ago!

We have never hired here before either but I have always fancied it and we were staying in a hotel in Inverness for 4 nights last month and it got me thinking. 
Sad not to be going to the Broads next year but the prices and how busy it was this year were deciding factors in giving it a miss next year, only a 2.5 hour drive from home too.

Caley Cruisers had limited availability for next July as I’d left it a bit late but we ended up booking an Eriskay class ( Haines 32 I think ) for 11 nights, I was torn between it and a Balmoral class (Broom 38) , it was a far better boat and in a different class but it was the same price for 7 nights as the Eriskay was for 11 and with the kids the Eriskay is probably a bit safer. I’m just a bit worried it will be a bit cramped for 4 but too late to change my mind now as the Balmoral has now been booked up 😂  

I’d be interested to speak to you at some point for a bit more info 👍🏻

• Like 2