What Would You Do?

Cheesey69

I’ve often wondered what could be done if you arrived back at your home mooring after dark only to find a hire boat moored up. They couldn’t move, not having navi lights so the only answer I suppose is to moor up wherever there is another space and sort it out next day. Recently I watched two hire boats moor up in Cox’s boatyard moorings at Barton Turf, alongside the main river as opposed to right inside the yard. Silly thing was, there were a number of spaces along Paddy’s Lane and one at the staithe. I can only assume they misread the private signage! 

We once returned to our berth on Ely marina to find a narrowboat on our mooring.It was during the day fortunately. Th new owner of the marina ( a singularly unpleasant individual) had  assumed we would be gone for longer than we were. The naarrowboat left our static fenders covered in bitumen. I was livid as it transferred on to our hull in large black smears.  As it turned  out that was the least of the delights that owner had in store for us and everyone else. But that's another story.

Carole

• Sad 2

It happened to me once in our old moorings in Hoveton , which were a side on mooring .

We spoke to the hire boat crew who were on our mooring who had wrongly assumed they were Summercrafts moorings , and were unaware also that Summercraft were no longer in the reciprocal mooring arrangement with other yards.

They were settling in for the night and about to retire so I suggested I would pull them forward into the Dyke on the ropes , moor Cerise Lady on our mooring and permit them to double moor on to me before departing in the morning as I wanted to drive home that evening.

they were most apologetic, embarrassed, and more than happy to do as I suggested .

Anyone can make an honest mistake, like they did and there is usually a peaceful solution .

Cerise Lady was safely home berthed (there you go Griff) , and the holiday makers were also safe for the evening 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

and were unaware also that Summercraft were no longer in the reciprocal mooring arrangement with other yards

How does that happen please? What were the circumstances that caused Summercraft to no longer have the reciprocal arrangement? Is it that they need to be a member of the Broads Hire Boat Federation (if that's what it's called), and as they had stopped hiring, they weren't? I'm guessing the situation is different now, as they have started hiring again?

This was when they had decided to longer hire out , since then they had decided to retain 2 hire boats , I don’t know if they now offer the reciprocal arrangement , I would be surprised if they did as they have more private boats moored in their old yard nowadays 

Edited to add :

I’ve checked the BA listing of Broads Federation hire boat moorings and Summercraft is currently listed 

I saw an example this week  on the Barnes Brinkcraft Webcam. On the opposite bank to Brinkcraft there are 3 private boats moored side on. The end one had left it’s mooring and one of Richardsons hire boats was in its place. The crew were fishing from it. It had moved off later in the day.

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

How does that happen please? What were the circumstances that caused Summercraft to no longer have the reciprocal arrangement? Is it that they need to be a member of the Broads Hire Boat Federation (if that's what it's called), and as they had stopped hiring, they weren't? I'm guessing the situation is different now, as they have started hiring again?

There is no requirement to be in the Broads Hire Boat Federation. Additionally, you can only be a member of the BHBF if you're a member of the British Marine Federation. 

Freedom was only a member for a few years and Alphacraft was only members for a tiny percentage of its existence. 

I would never have turned away a hire craft regardless: they may have been my next customer and it would have been silly for anyone else to do so on the same basis. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, vanessan said:

I’ve often wondered what could be done if you arrived back at your home mooring after dark only to find a hire boat moored up. They couldn’t move, not having navi lights so the only answer I suppose is to moor up wherever there is another space and sort it out next day. Recently I watched two hire boats moor up in Cox’s boatyard moorings at Barton Turf, alongside the main river as opposed to right inside the yard. Silly thing was, there were a number of spaces along Paddy’s Lane and one at the staithe. I can only assume they misread the private signage! 

Wouldn't be the first time I've pointed that out to hirers .....

On 07/09/2021 at 17:22, Oddfellow said:

I would never have turned away a hire craft regardless: they may have been my next customer and it would have been silly for anyone else to do so on the same basis. 

I spent a night in Richardson's yard on a Herbert Woods boat - I found the people there very friendly and it certainly made me more disposed to think of hiring with them. (As has a lot of what I've read on here, too).