St Olaves Bridge!

Ray

Our last boat was a DC30, before that a Hampton Safari... I've never had to think about St Olaves bridge. Until this morning.

Not much more than 2m before going under I realised we are not going under!

Was going against quite a fast tide which assisted full astern and disaster was averted, just!

Goes to show.. I need to guard against thinking I know what I'm doing 🙂

41 minutes ago, Ray said:

Our last boat was a DC30, before that a Hampton Safari... I've never had to think about St Olaves bridge. Until this morning.

Not much more than 2m before going under I realised we are not going under!

Was going against quite a fast tide which assisted full astern and disaster was averted, just!

Goes to show.. I need to guard against thinking I know what I'm doing 🙂

Even Somerleyton can cause issues sometimes.  Not sure if you’ve seen, but Network Rail now have phone numbers for the bridges there and at Reedham.

90E8126A-1664-4C1D-AEE3-0A06F0750236.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Without that tide against you wouldn't have stopped, I've gone under a couple of bridges backwards before on a running tide when I knew I was pushing my luck so if I had to abort a hanful of forward throttle would take me away and bury the stern where a handful of reverse would just slow me slightly and still go under while the stern lurches up higher and closer.

• Thanks 1

Blimey! I certainly wouldn't call Coastguard! I would only ever consider that if there were injured crew who we couldn't get ashore by ourselves or with local assistance.

That's not a criticism of the crew in this incident by the way, if you're in trouble and don't know what to do then you ask for help. Coastguard decide which resources to deploy not the caller 👍