Horsey Boathouse @ Sunset

Oddfellow

I got a great sunset around late September / Early October last year at Horsey, but I couldn't get quite high enough to capture much of the mere in the shot. As this is NT land, drones are not permitted, so I rigged up something to get the camera, under remote control, about 9 ft in the air, just to gain that little extra. The sky wasn't brilliant tonight, but the result is pleasing nonetheless. 

boathouse-HDR1-final - not bee trough dxo rawjpg.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Thanks, I geddit but over an unpopulated area?  Really?

Griff

Sadly, the National Trust is incredibly backward and stayed in its thinking. Who would have thought this were possible for an organisation that's looking after our heritage in a modern society?

I am not sure where NT land starts and ends in this location to be honest. The car park at Horsey Gap used to be NT but now it's private, so things have changed. I have flown around Brograve and will do again, but on the edges of the mere, that's probably illegal.  

Its worth noting that the NT can only deny take off and landing. It has no control of airspace and airspace exists as soon as a drone (or plane) is airborne. So, if you take off from land that has no restriction (and remain within aviation law), and fly over NT land, there is nowt the NT can do about it. Obviously, aviation laws are many and very complicated. Drone rules are simpler, but still quite complicated. 

That shot is the first draft of about two and a half hours of work involving quite a lot of equipment. I will refine the image over time and maybe offer it as a print in future, but I think there will be better opportunities later in September for better skies. I should have been there last night, to be honest.....

• Thanks 1

Interesting comments about where you can fly. The only times I’ve seen drones overhead they’ve been incredibly noisy and it felt intrusive. I’ve seen lots of great photos taken from drones but am not a fan of them buzzing around at a fairly low level. 

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Interesting comments about where you can fly. The only times I’ve seen drones overhead they’ve been incredibly noisy and it felt intrusive. I’ve seen lots of great photos taken from drones but am not a fan of them buzzing around at a fairly low level. 

There are still lots of people who fly in areas they are not allowed to with in appropriate drones. There's a class of drone under 250g though that can be flow legally almost anywhere except in approach and take-off zones around aerodromes and other No Fly Zones (NFZ). I have one and you'd barely even know it was there when in the air; very quiet. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SwanR said:

I have two drones, one of which is the same as the one Andy uses.  It is very quiet and in truth, unless you’re in an area where it is almost silent, you’d be hard pushed to hear it.  My other drone falls into a category that requires the pilot to be licensed and I took the relevant course and test earlier in the year.  Despite that, there are requirements for separation distances between it and uninvolved people, which does restrict where it can be used, despite producing slightly better quality images.

When you watch many TV programmes now, the use of drones rather than cameramen hanging perilously out of helicopters is commonplace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately , like in most things, legislation is necessary to try and keep those who qualify for The Darwin Award behaving in a dangerous and inconsiderate manner .

More unfortunate, is the fact that these same laws are totally ignored by those it is aimed at and genuine considerate individuals such as the two aforementioned esteemed members hobbies and business interests are curtailed IMHO unfairly . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I have two drones, one of which is the same as the one Andy uses.  It is very quiet and in truth, unless you’re in an area where it is almost silent, you’d be hard pushed to hear it.  My other drone falls into a category that requires the pilot to be licensed and I took the relevant course and test earlier in the year.  Despite that, there are requirements for separation distances between it and uninvolved people, which does restrict where it can be used, despite producing slightly better quality images.

When you watch many TV programmes now, the use of drones rather than cameramen hanging perilously out of helicopters is commonplace.

I have three drones currently. A DJI Mini 2 which is under 249g and can be flown almost anywhere. Then there's a Phantom 3 4K (which I really must sell) and a Phantom 4 Pro. The 4 Pro has one of the best cameras available on a prosumer drone (despite being about 5 years old). The problem with the Phantoms now is their size and restrictions of area. I flew my P4 pro for the first time this week since I used it for TV filming back in April, as it's so large it needs it's own backpack which, when I also have one full of camera gear and the Mini 2, I can't easily carry.