Dragon Class Sailing Memorabilia Anyone?

floydraser

If so, have a look here: https://auctions.suttonhillfarmcountryauctions.com/catalogue/lot/5d43ed47164694f98ef466182a02d3d4/0cb93d8a5e09787882125c2f0347b542/collectables-models-jewellery-silver-militarian-ho-lot-9/

It looks like the registration documents for Dragon Class boat "Clar Innis" and a capstan. I know nothing more than that.

The auction is next Saturday 18th and takes place a short walk from my house. I can therefore collect and deliver the items to Brundall(ish). I could also have a walk down and view the items and take better pics if anyone is seriously interested. Obviously there's no telling what the price is going to be but I would expect boaty things to get better money in a boaty area. You would be hard pushed to find anywhere further from major sailing venues than round here. We dug out Rutland Water back in the seventies but to be honest, it was a poor effort and anyway, at RW sailors are at the bottom of the food chain below fishermen and the bloody birds.:default_sailing:

Many (50?) years ago I had a third share in a Dragon - one of the last all wood ones. She was fast as fek but a very wet boat, one year we sailed from Waldringfied on the Deben to Lowestoft for Edinburgh Cup week - got the wooden spoon but a cracking time at Nobs and Snobs. You needed three crew - two working the boat and one on the bilge pump! Arabis 11 - went to Ireland I believe. Our only claim to fame was appearing in a Giles cartoon as a bunch of hippies (we didn't blend well with the more conservative Dragon owners)

Edited by stumpy
Afterthought
  • Love 1

The Dragon really started it's UK patronage with The Clyde Sailing Club. In the 30s and after the war quite a few were built or converted up there to include an overnight cuddy. I don't think you could call them a cabin.

20210913_130132.thumb.jpg.bdfd49b19bc1aabb22da44be95eb7990.jpg

• Like 1