Farewell To Some Old Favourites

Dan

Time to draw a line under this thread me thinks. Clives family financial and business affairs are not for this forum to debate. Feel free to debate why they should or shouldn't sell of whatever boats, it might even be a members favourite hire boat. But that's where it should stop. I couldn't careless if the information is in the public domain I can't see for one minute why an individual would feel the need to go digging,Beyond me. Clive a very valued member here and it would be a shame to alienate him because someone needs to prove a point. Time to move on. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have said this before but and make no apology for repeating myself here: No amount of management training or previous business experience could prepare anyone fully for the pandemic. Suddenly everyone is inexperienced. Some though, already have their lives invested in business. Having survived so far, they now have to try and prepare for the future.

No one here is qualified to accurately predict the future of the leisure industry unless they have seen it all before?? 

Anyone in business today has my sympathy and I wish them all the very best for the future. I count my blessings that I'm on the verge of retirement.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Meantime said:

I see discussion on this thread, but I don't see judgement, criticism or speculation to the detriment of any company on this thread. Something has obviously touched a raw nerve, but I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

Not a raw nerve but a point  of order, dissection and speculation of a companys business model is neither helpful or beneficial, as for Companys House while it is a matter of public record it only tells half a story and not always a true one at that so should never be used in a public debate,

As someone who loves the broads I want to see as many people as possible enjoy them in whatever legitimate way they choose, it is not the sole domain of the boating community, as a boat owner I want to see all of the holiday industry prosper old and new, without it the infrastructure and finance will not be there to support our interest, private boat owners alone will never provide sufficient income  for the upkeep of the system or the support industries we rely on.

Fred

• Like 6

Hi I'm a very passionate person about the Norfolk Broads since the age of Ten when my Father was in the Banking business as marine manager dealing people on buying Boats he introduced me to the Broads at that age so I've seen Boat Yards on Hard times like Herbert woods with Light cruises class now doing well with Boat Building Hiring and selling as for Richardson with then Clive / Paul and their father fell on hard times and steadily grew the Richardson's yard out of the woods Clive was the main architect on Boat Building and done a fantastic job sadly Clive is No longer at the Stalham yard now at Horning I wish him well as he's a Boating man at heart while he's build that business up mean while I hope Paul will be at the Helm to steer the Richardson's yard for the future to come  and continue with the success as to there late father with his Two Son's then have done in the past.

• Like 4

I have had boats nearly all my life and am now in my 70's. I have moored in many marinas and whilst I have had several broads holidays (nearly all Rico boats), the boat I have now is my first broads cruiser, which I purchased in 2018. Looking for somewhere to berth her, I managed by luck to get a marina berth in Horning. I have been very happy there and have found Clive the most friendly and helpful proprietor I have come across in my boating experience. The de-merging of businesses has nothing to do with me, I just want to enjoy my boating as it is. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Apropos of nothing, I have just remembered another definition of an officer and a gentleman :

He always takes his spurs off before going to bed.

Ha Ha! Completely off topic here but that definition reminded me of an occasion while I was a serving soldier in Germany in the early 90's.  I was a cavalry man and attended one of our many "stag" Mess functions to say farewell to a retiring SNCO.  Being in the cavalry, our Mess dress included swan neck spurs and George boots.  Cutting a long story short, I was making my way back to our married quarter on foot after a good night/early morning session and as I turned the corner into our street I suddenly couldn't move!!  It took me ages to figure out what had happened - I somehow in my rather inebriated state had managed to hook my spurs under the bottom rail of a wooden picket fence on the street corner and was firmly held in place.  If you've ever seen an entertainer on the tv where they appear to be leaning over at very steep angle while firmly rooted to the spot - that was me!  Oh how I wish I had taken off my spurs prior to leaving the Mess let alone before going to bed!! :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well this is more fun than the previous subject anyway!

The Royal Corps of Transport were traditionally a mounted regiment (donkey wallopers) so we wore spurs with mess dress as well.

It was said that they were very useful when someone had imbibed far too much and was about to collapse.  You simply let him fall back into your arms and and wheeled him backwards out of the room on his spurs, rather like a wheelbarrow.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Well this is more fun than the previous subject anyway!

The Royal Corps of Transport were traditionally a mounted regiment (donkey wallopers) so we wore spurs with mess dress as well.

It was said that they were very useful when someone had imbibed far too much and was about to collapse.  You simply let him fall back into your arms and and wheeled him backwards out of the room on his spurs, rather like a wheelbarrow.

I'm an ex trog Vaughan, I served with 10 reg until we were disbanded. Bless old Maggie and options for change. 

• Like 2