Should Moderators Be More Like Committee members?

Oh dear, smellyloo, I find myself agreeing with you. Whatever next?

I must confess I find it rather unnerving that several peeps have expressed agreement with some of my views.

I'm sure normality will return soon. :lol:

The original ethos of this forum and it remains so is this: It is an information and discussion resource provided for those who wish to register and post and for those who do not wish to register but merely browse regardless of boat type or private / hirer or business. The primary subjects of discussion are matters broads related and boaty on any water, and that is what the huge majority registered for or read it for. A lounge was opened for those who wish to discuss other matters and at its inception it was asked that it not be used for political (particularly party political) subjects. Any meetings on the river or otherwise are an adjunct to and not a part of the forum actual as this is not a club and there are no plans that it should be such. There are many meetings of small groups and larger ones from organised on the river to ad hoc at boat shows and such and the team is really pleased to facilitate those both past and future. Nobody, but nobody is obligated or should feel obligated whether founder member, site owner or occasional poster, they are meetings with an open invite usually so go if you want but if you don’t that's fine too.

I normally give these types of debate a wide berth but I felt that the recent posts on this thread sum up the situation so well that I feel I must add my 2p.

The points made by Mark, Smellyloo and Strowager in particular put it better than I ever could. Agree 110%

I particularly empathise with this bit in Mark’s post

“However, this is strictly an internet based forum for exchange of information and communication, not a social club. The fact that some members, myself included, enjoy meeting with like-minded members on a more social basis, doesn't alter that in the slightestâ€

I too, thoroughly enjoy having a beer (or three) with like minded members, given the opportunity, but it shouldn’t be seen as some kind of Holy Grail nor a criteria for Moderator status or standing within the Forum.

cheers!!!

Imho the mods on here do a good job, they don't seem to have to do much either , which is a good thing (Unless of course they are beavering away like mad behind the scenes)

If it ain't broke don't fix it, I don't think it's anywhere near broke

Storm in a teacup springs to mind.

A good debate / thread for many of us to read though.