First Post From Me ... !

Bikertov

Hello all !

Whilst I joined the forum over 2 years ago, I have just been browsing until now so this is my first post. 

My late father had been sailing on the Broads years before and so as a child we holidayed as a family on the Broads for 6 or 7 years in a row. As I recall, we hired from Richardsons in Stalham all but once - I think it we had Superline 3 or 4 times, Escapade twice and finally Sancerre (not from Richardsons ?) the last time.

Fond memories of the North and South Broads (when we did 2 weeks) including crossing Breydon a few times. I seem to remember running aground once on Breydon and being towed free by another boat.  We usually hired a dingy too, either with or without a sail.

We got under Potter Higham a few times and on to Hickling. I guess that is not so common these days.

I finally returned to Norfolk in February 2 years ago for a weekend, staying near Wroxham. Following that trip I signed up here and pop in every now and again. We took out a day boat for the afternoon which was great fun, and brought back good memories. We got as far as The Swan in Horning and back again.  It was so strange going back to Roys of Wroxham as it was always such an icon. Also going back to Potter Higham, albeit by car this time.

My trip back has reignited a strong desire to get my own boat - although my constant talk of it without action is now a joke in my own family now.  

I know I can afford to run a boat, based on my research and calculations, but wanting a newer modern boat means the initial investment is not yet possible for me, neither is the time to make the most of it. We are in NW London, so not quite near enough to just pop over for the weekend.

My preferred boat is an aft helm cabin cruiser - the ideal dream boat being something like the Haines 32 Sedan.

One day, one day, my dream will become a reality ...

• Like 8

Welcome. The Sancerres were built by and originally hired by Bondons at South Walsham, though I believe they may have been bought by other yards later and retained their names. I think all Bondons boats used to be named after French wines.

Welcome 👍

We looked at a Sancerre when we were buying this year and really liked it. Unfortunately this one needed a bit more work doing than we wanted to do, but it sold soon after so hopefully it will be back on the rivers soon, restored to it's former glory.

As much as you would like a modern boat do remember and old tub can be bought up to modern specs and a manky old tub moored outside a pub while you enjoy a riverside beer is worth 10x as much as a pristine modern boat in a marina because you are busy earning it's upkeep.

And on a more important note, what bike? (going by your username)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Welcome and yes, what bike?

Griff

So I have a 1991 Suzuki GSXR1100. Owned by me from new and now 30 years old. 

It's been laid up for a couple of years due to a leak in the petrol tank, so a bit of a project in itself now. 

I know I need to be a bit more organised to get some of these thing done ...

• Like 2

On 12/09/2021 at 19:45, Smoggy said:

As much as you would like a modern boat do remember and old tub can be bought up to modern specs and a manky old tub moored outside a pub while you enjoy a riverside beer is worth 10x as much as a pristine modern boat in a marina because you are busy earning it's upkeep.

And on a more important note, what bike? (going by your username)

It's a tough one trying to choose what I want.

The modern cabin cruisers are what I like, but I know air draft is a potential issue that can limit navigation.

I also know that size and age can make it much more expensive.

I've toyed with the idea of a smaller starter boat initially on the Great Ouse while I get used to the idea and can spend a bit more time because it is nearer to me. Then trade up or get it moved to Norfolk after a year or two.

I think to start I probably need to visit some boatyards and see what they have in the flesh, and speak to local boat users to get a feel for things. 

• Like 1

Hi Bikertov, welcome to the forum. NW London is not as far away as many members of this forum, our journey is 117 miles and we soon got use to it. Keep a good eye on at least the two main sales sites (below)

It doesn't need to be a big shiny newish boat to really enjoy yourself on the broads. This is not a dress rehearsal, so why not go for it, if it's where your heart lies.:default_biggrin:

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/inventory/

Paul/Smoggy - I've been keeping an eye on those boatyard sites for a while now, but prices do seem to be quite high right now for what little suitable stock is around.

What I might do is pick a few boatyards on the Ouse say in the Bedford area on a day trip to start, and just have a wander round and chat. Maybe later in the year I will take a weekend in Norfolk again and do similar for the Broads. 

I am feeling that whilst my ideal is a 32' boat like the Haines/Broom aft cockpit models, they are out of my budget as a first boat. I need to lower my sights to start with and at the same time a smaller boat might allow more travel past Wroxham (and Potter Higham).

• 10 months later...
On 13/09/2021 at 20:16, Bikertov said:

So I have a 1991 Suzuki GSXR1100. Owned by me from new and now 30 years old. 

It's been laid up for a couple of years due to a leak in the petrol tank, so a bit of a project in itself now. 

I know I need to be a bit more organised to get some of these thing done ...

I bought a new GSXR1100 in 1993. That was the first water cooled one(WP). Yours would be the oil/air cooled model which is much more stylish.

I enjoy my Royal Enfield 650 nowadays. 

27 minutes ago, Davecc said:

I bought a new GSXR1100 in 1993. That was the first water cooled one(WP). Yours would be the oil/air cooled model which is much more stylish.

I enjoy my Royal Enfield 650 nowadays. 

Hi Dave

Yes, mine is the GSXR1100M, which was the last of the oil cooled motors. Quite a beast at the time but great fun to ride.

I really do need to get it fixed and back on the road ... 

• Like 1