One Glow And You've Missed It!

Vaughan

I see in the EDP that the BA will be sponsoring "dark sky magic" guided walks around How Hill in late September and October, when paying guests will get the chance to see "glow-worms, owls and other creatures".

Hmm . . . 

Pity that according to the Wildlife Trust's website, glow-worms glow in June and July. One flash of a torch and that will put the owls off as well.

Perhaps I am a bit mischievous but I just have a vision of certain well-known forum members (who shall be nameless) staggering about the How Hill gardens in the pitch dark looking for glow-worms.

Doesn't sound like health and safety to me!

• Like 3

from experience trying to organise public astronomy events at dark sky sites, we were requested by the insurers to make sure that all pathways were adequately lighted for people to use them, this adequate lighting required, means that the astronomers and public's eyes cannot get dark adapted to better see the wonders through the telescope, I am sure similar dark adaptation would be needed to best display any glow worms that did manage to stick it out until Autumn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I see in the EDP that the BA will be sponsoring "dark sky magic" guided walks around How Hill in late September and October, when paying guests will get the chance to see "glow-worms, owls and other creatures".

Hmm . . . 

Pity that according to the Wildlife Trust's website, glow-worms glow in June and July. One flash of a torch and that will put the owls off as well.

Perhaps I am a bit mischievous but I just have a vision of certain well-known forum members (who shall be nameless) staggering about the How Hill gardens in the pitch dark looking for glow-worms.

Doesn't sound like health and safety to me!

Vaughan where is this please or do we know if its running mid-late Oct so I can take the kids they would love this thanks scott 

Yes, no chance of seeing glow-worms at this time of year.  We see them round our moorings in the high Summer months, looking like little green LED lights in the grass. Actually the lady glow-worm putting on her "open for business" sign. 

I wonder about some of these nature organisations, having had a discussion with a highly qualified young man at the Hoveton Great Broad nature trail. I told him that we regularly see kingfishers out on the river and even on Salhouse broad from time to time. He told me that there are no kingfishers in the area because the banks aren't high enough above the water to allow them to make nests. Someone in that conversation wasn't right, and it wasn't me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, grendel said:

from experience trying to organise public astronomy events at dark sky sites, we were requested by the insurers to make sure that all pathways were adequately lighted for people to use them, this adequate lighting required, means that the astronomers and public's eyes cannot get dark adapted to better see the wonders through the telescope,

This is exactly what I was thinking. A good view of the sky at night requires a total lack of "light pollution".  I can imagine that How Hill would be a great place to find this as there are no villages or main roads around but how can you then make that "safe" for the Great Public  to wander about in the gardens in the dark, without getting sued when they trip over a concrete gnome, or stray too far and end up in the river?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Vaughan where is this please or do we know if its running mid-late Oct so I can take the kids they would love this thanks scott 

This is How Hill Gardens, on the banks of the Ant just above Ludham bridge. If you look on the EDP website - EDP24 - they give an address for getting tickets.

• Thanks 1