Recommend Me A Paint Remover

OldBerkshireBoy

Hi Nitro mores is the industry product not sure on fibre glass but if you want to remove sign writing from vehicle cellulose finishes Oven off will do this without damaging the vehicle paint finish, or last resort elbow grease works well and is safe. John

There is a GRP safe paint remover that I can't remember the name of. That's because I found it simply didn't work. I will have it in one of my units somewhere. I could probably lay my hands on it if you wanted to try it. 

I have painted a lot of boats and there is no substitute that I have found for abrasives. 

Sorry, I know that's not the news you wanted. 

DO NOT USE NITROMORS. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Nitro mores is the industry product not sure on fibre glass but if you want to remove sign writing from vehicle cellulose finishes Oven off will do this without damaging the vehicle paint finish, or last resort elbow grease works well and is safe. John

You dont mean this do you.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiEjq6FmZPzAhVvgFAGHcBPDCEYABAFGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2A9LlRzTTic9emAw49FX5zVqC1hieDukh6oZ4VeYXxoX7-KQCTrGC5Wvb6K9JvYV2kDbNmqlIoHKffuOyLOI&sig=AOD64_1GkUF2RcJMOMGBmNe9lmqlDnsajA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiTwKaFmZPzAhXVPsAKHedfDRwQ9aACegQIARB3&adurl=

No of course you didnt. :default_biggrin:

24 minutes ago, Oddfellow said:

There is a GRP safe paint remover that I can't remember the name of. That's because I found it simply didn't work. I will have it in one of my units somewhere. I could probably lay my hands on it if you wanted to try it. 

I have painted a lot of boats and there is no substitute that I have found for abrasives. 

Sorry, I know that's not the news you wanted. 

DO NOT USE NITROMORS. 

He is an experianced boat painter so wouldnt use Nitromors nor would he simply flatten old paint and apply new paint but whatever this top layer is it aint playing ball with his normal paint remover and scraper plus the clock is ticking so any ideas are much appreciated guys n gals.

If the deck has been painted with a two part paint such as International 709 and sanded beforehand to give a "key" to the paint, you will be lucky to get it off.  This sort of paint is a gel coat in itself and will have bonded thoroughly with the original gel.  I am afraid painting over GRP should be considered as a last resort, especially if you try to change the colour!  All that happens is the next time you go under a tree branch, the scratches show through the original colour.

I haven't seen the boat, but if you can't get the paint off it probably isn't going to come off.  Sand thoroughly to give a key, and paint over.  Once you have started painting GRP you have to keep renewing it regularly, just like a wooden boat.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

He is an experianced boat painter so wouldnt use Nitromors nor would he simply flatten old paint and apply new paint but whatever this top layer is it aint playing ball with his normal paint remover and scraper plus the clock is ticking so any ideas are much appreciated guys n gals.

I didn't say I wouldn't flatten old paint and recoat. 

You have to be careful. You need to know what type of paint you have on the boat already before applying a new paint. 

2 pack paints have an exothermic curing process. This means that they use a chemical reaction to generate heat. The result is a better bond to a properly prepared substrate and a longer life with greater scratch resistance. The problem is that the heat generated in the curing process can act like a hot-air paint stripper to an underlying single-pack paint. So, if you don't know what the existing paint is, applying two pack is a gamble unless you remove all the paint. 

Single pack paint can be applied to any surface but isn't as tough. Deck paint will need renewing regularly, especially if you don't make a good job of the prep and this is VERY hard on GRP decks with the anti-slip moulding in the gel as it's virtually impossible to get the paint out of the valleys without a sharp pick and a month of sundays at your disposal. A very high power pressure steam cleaner is often capable but few people have such an expensive machine (a good boat yard will have one though), but these can strip paint you want to leave in place too. 

Nothing that's worth-while is easy. 

• Like 2

I used Peelaway 7. It's a paste you trowl on, cover with a poly sheet, leave and peel off. You will probably then have to wash off any residue.

My 1985 yacht was on it's third non slip coat. The stripper removed the top 2 totally, and about 60% of the original first layer - more than sufficient for me to appy KiwiGrip

Oh - and I belive you can get trial pots if you want to run a test

• Like 1

I was going to start using a different deck paint product last year. I don't recall the name of it now, but it was similar to this: https://www.foxschandlery.com/kiwigrip-non-skid-paint-deck-system?ps=MjIzPTg5NDgmMjIyPTg3Nw==#223=8948&222=877

The reason I didn't was a discussion with the UK distributor who had been having some supply problems and told me that the shelf life of the product was pretty limited, so if I was to buy a few tins, they would need to be used within a certain time and if not would be spoiled. For me, that was a certain money loss as I could not, at the time, afford to get multiple decks prepped and sorted quickly. However, it might be an idea for your deck project. 

I am not sure that George at Ludham Bridge Boatyard isn't using something similar. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Oddfellow said:

I was going to start using a different deck paint product last year. I don't recall the name of it now, but it was similar to this: https://www.foxschandlery.com/kiwigrip-non-skid-paint-deck-system?ps=MjIzPTg5NDgmMjIyPTg3Nw==#223=8948&222=877

The reason I didn't was a discussion with the UK distributor who had been having some supply problems and told me that the shelf life of the product was pretty limited, so if I was to buy a few tins, they would need to be used within a certain time and if not would be spoiled. For me, that was a certain money loss as I could not, at the time, afford to get multiple decks prepped and sorted quickly. However, it might be an idea for your deck project. 

I am not sure that George at Ludham Bridge Boatyard isn't using something similar. 

The great thing about KiwiGrip is it's acrylic, so if you buy white you can simply tint it just about any colour you want with easily available dyes.