Toilet Rolls - Now Petrol/diesel!

CeePee1952

25 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I left school at 16 and did a 4 year apprenticeship in Electronic Engineering. 

Haven't looked back since, and now run a business employing over 50 staff. 

And there’s the problem.  University and attaining a degree has been promoted as the way to a good career and a guaranteed high salary.  You don’t need a degree to be an electrician, plasterer, bricklayer, carpenter, welder etc. but the opportunities for those wanting to enter those professions are few and far between and if they were more widely available, school leavers aren’t encouraged to enter into those manual trades.

• Like 4

It is the twisted idea of 'equality' that is wrong. 

That everyone has to have 10 A* GCSE's, 5 A levels and a First at degree. 

No !

If you are bright, you can a good grade. If you aren't, accept you only got a C. 

Having everyone get top marks and a degree proves nothing. 

Grade inflation does no-one any good in the long run. 

• Like 1

So back to the original topic, talking  about toilet paper shortages among other things ...

When the first lockdown hit, my son got distracted from his Uni finals and created a website that told you how long your toilet paper stash would last, based on your usage patterns. 

The site literally went viral round the world overnight, with well over 10m visitors in a few weeks. He was featured and interviewed in the press, blogs, TV and radio all round the world. Even his Uni recognised him for the 'public service' he provided. 

The reactions from people, including some celebrities, was incredible 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Also it appears  sparkling water. Today there was none.Trust the media they never let us down.Lets report shortages around  the clock,then watch the public rush to buy up stuff,then good old media can report empty  shelves etc.

This shortage was planned, some weeks ago one of the supermarkets said that rather than have a load that is heavy for it's volume, they would rather load up the lorries with lighter more essential items, therefore getting more on the lorry.

Personally I think buying bottled water a total waste of money, and plastic!

You just couldn't make this up, utter nonsense. There is no fuel shortage. Bp reported they were having to temporarily close 50 of there retail outlets, that's 50 out of an estate of some 2500 site UK wide. And the world goes madd. What's really annoying and something the media haven't reported on is the agreement the government have with refineries and there haulage contractors. The MOD fund a programme of training for drivers from all branches of the armed forces to drive the tankers in times of crisis or strikes, it been running for years. We have a tesco tanker depot across the road from us, we constantly see uniformed drivers out on there training. For me the UK media are to blame for this and they are not reporting fact that's for sure. 

• Like 6

my local asda fuel station shut while i was inside shopping this morning, to my mind the media reporting should be called into question, as it is undoubtedly the media hype that has caused this, in the same way the toilet roll shortage was created, the media need to be held accountable, and before they cry freedom of the press it is the freedom to report fact, not create widespread panic.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

the media need to be held accountable, and before they cry freedom of the press it is the freedom to report fact, not create widespread panic.

The problem you have is all of us have a bias based on our political, social, religious and economic position

As such many in the press and those circulating such on social media are doing it to create hysteria, to support their bias or because they themselves have moved to panic mode and believe everything they read!!

With an added sprinkling of selfishness!!!

2 hours ago, andyg said:

You just couldn't make this up, utter nonsense. There is no fuel shortage. Bp reported they were having to temporarily close 50 of there retail outlets, that's 50 out of an estate of some 2500 site UK wide. And the world goes mad. What's really annoying and something the media haven't reported on is the agreement the government have with refineries and there haulage contractors. The MOD fund a programme of training for drivers from all branches of the armed forces to drive the tankers in times of crisis or strikes, it been running for years. We have a tesco tanker depot across the road from us, we constantly see uniformed drivers out on there training. For me the UK media are to blame for this and they are not reporting fact that's for sure. 

I could not agree more with you.    Utter nonsense,   whipped up by the press and TV.     Unless you are on the road 24/7 once you have filled up it is going to last you.       On the journey home today most fuel stations had a few cars in them but certainly not the queues mentioned on here.   

• Like 1

I spoke to a HGV driver i know yesterday, when asked why he is not driving he told me that the DVLC are working slow and he wasn't allowed to drive as he hasn't had his licence renewal returned yet apparently you can only renew six weeks in advance and the doctors cert only lasts four weeks normally no problem , he told me he knows of two other drivers at John Lewis that have the same problem ,I How many country wide  that have this problem which only makes the shortage of driver's worse. WHY? cant DVLC give permission to drive while licence is in the post you can with car licence. How incompetent can you get John

There's a lot of blame going to the media for this. I say that's rubbish. I haven't seen a media report about fuel shortages. I have seen media reports that a handfull of BP stations are closed. Nobody has forced the proliferation of selfish aholes to block roads and running forecourts dry. I've abandoned a photography trip to Suffolk this weekend because I can't be guaranteed to get fuel for the mohome and further abandoned even a drive to Winterton because I need to be able to get my children to Norwich College each day next week and I am unsure of fuel availability to do that. 

That's a minor inconvenience. 

A major inconvenience is that (stupidly) the emergency services don't have their own supplies. Ambulances et al are struggling to find fuel whilst Eric Von ****** in the 1/4 mile queue for fuel has a coronary with the stress of not being able to put 10 litres of fuel in his take to get it to the full marker again.  

This must soon have a knock on effect for the HGV crisis that started this vicious circle; how long before road freight can't move because Karen from number 10 has filled her bath with Derv on the advice from "lood after yrself barry" from facebook?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, annv said:

I spoke to a HGV driver i know yesterday, when asked why he is not driving he told me that the DVLC are working slow and he wasn't allowed to drive as he hasn't had his licence renewal returned yet apparently you can only renew six weeks in advance and the doctors cert only lasts four weeks normally no problem , he told me he knows of two other drivers at John Lewis that have the same problem ,I How many country wide  that have this problem which only makes the shortage of driver's worse. WHY? cant DVLC give permission to drive while licence is in the post you can with car licence. How incompetent can you get John

I don't deal with compliance at work, but that's correct from memory. Dvla are most definitely running slow and in this case it will need a set of eyes to process information and order new licence etc. On the other hand one of our drivers lost his digital tacho card last Friday reported that afternoon had the new one in the post Tuesday. Drivers have to carry all there documents with them whilst working. Licence, digi card cpc card. You used to be able to phone dlva and they would give you a reference number so you could continue. But since the dreadful accident in Glasgow with the bin lorry a while back things were tighten up. 

• Like 1

There’s plenty of fuel out there... The only shortage is Brain cells... 

Ever since I’ve stopped buying Newspapers I’ve had to buy toilet paper and there’s plenty of that... 

No news in my house as I’ve Stopped my tv License... Fed up of utter media lies on TV...

Driver shortages has been in decline for years now and it’s nothing to do with Brexit... Europe has a driver shortage to... 

What Enticement is there to become a lorry driver for the young ones of today.... Nothing.. 

Very long hours 13/15 hours a day.. 5/6 days a week..

Traffic jams 

sleeping in the cab

Worried of having your load nicked or your diesel sucked out 

Crap Facilities in the services.. Most Hauliers will not pay £35 parking over night in services.. 

Arriving late at your destination to foul mouth abuse 

I could go on and on 

Oh and crap pay.... 

Ive been a class one driver uk and European for nearly 30 years now., the only reason I’m still doing it is because I love the job... 

• Like 3