Toilet Rolls - Now Petrol/diesel!

CeePee1952

19 minutes ago, andyg said:

I don't deal with compliance at work, but that's correct from memory. Dvla are most definitely running slow and in this case it will need a set of eyes to process information and order new licence etc. On the other hand one of our drivers lost his digital tacho card last Friday reported that afternoon had the new one in the post Tuesday. Drivers have to carry all there documents with them whilst working. Licence, digi card cpc card. You used to be able to phone dlva and they would give you a reference number so you could continue. But since the dreadful accident in Glasgow with the bin lorry a while back things were tighten up. 

You can legally run with out a digi card on manual entry and print out for 15 days if you have lost your digi card or it has malfunction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oddfellow said:

There's a lot of blame going to the media for this. I say that's rubbish. I haven't seen a media report about fuel shortages. I have seen media reports that a handfull of BP stations are closed.

The problem with the report I saw was that the headline yesterday morning read that petrol stations were closed nationally. You had to read the detail to find that it was a small number of BP and a handful of Tesco's. They are guilty of sensationalising the story in my view leading to the inevitable advice not to panic buy ... no smoke without fire so if there's no need to panic buy why even mention it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Oddfellow said:

There's a lot of blame going to the media for this. I say that's rubbish. I haven't seen a media report about fuel shortages. I have seen media reports that a handfull of BP stations are closed. Nobody has forced the proliferation of selfish aholes to block roads and running forecourts dry. I've abandoned a photography trip to Suffolk this weekend because I can't be guaranteed to get fuel for the mohome and further abandoned even a drive to Winterton because I need to be able to get my children to Norwich College each day next week and I am unsure of fuel availability to do that. 

That's a minor inconvenience. 

A major inconvenience is that (stupidly) the emergency services don't have their own supplies. Ambulances et al are struggling to find fuel whilst Eric Von ****** in the 1/4 mile queue for fuel has a coronary with the stress of not being able to put 10 litres of fuel in his take to get it to the full marker again.  

This must soon have a knock on effect for the HGV crisis that started this vicious circle; how long before road freight can't move because Karen from number 10 has filled her bath with Derv on the advice from "lood after yrself barry" from facebook?

You were not watching GMB on Monday morning then who declared - BRITAIN IS RUNNING ON EMPTY - then showing a petrol pump with no fuel.   If that is not whipping up panic then what is?     As for supplies - plenty of diesel going into Richardsons boats this morning I can assure you.

• Like 4

Hi Andy I have just contacted my member of parliament on this unbelievable matter, it has so enraged me that we have food rotting in warehouses because the drivers are down the pub on the dole because they haven't had their licence renewal returned, what's so difficult that you cant issue a ref no to confirm that the licence s on its way when they are crying out for drivers. But no they're all in the pub on the dole because someone hasn't the integrity to do his job properly. Gr!! John

• Like 1

So the DVLA are not coping well renewing HGV licences. 

But they are all working from home because of Covid. 

Yet we keep being told how much more efficient Working From Home is 🤔

Last year, we had to renew my company's Data Protection registration with the Information Commissioner (ICO).

I sent them a cheque - because bizarrely you can't pay the ICO by BACS even though that is how most businesses pay for things - and they took 6 months to cash the cheque and renew the registration as they were all working from home. 

How is that for (lack of) efficiency 😡 ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of the “more efficient” officialdom that has crept into life is very frustrating .

To renew a cab vehicle licence in Cambridge , you used to book the cab into the council garage for a “taxi test” (similar to an mot but a lot stricter and thorough) when the car had passed the test you paid the test fee and licence fee , showed your insurance papers and log book and the garage issued a new plate for the year as well as booked you in for your next taxi test in 6 months time .

nowadays , you have to ring the garage to book your test , then ring the council to request a Appointment to attend the council office to apply for your licence , take your papers and fee to the council and they confirm your garage test , after attending the test you then have to rebook an appointment with the council to show them your pass certificate , you attend the council offices again and collect your new licence and plate , how I ask  can that be considered more efficient , it’s pure madness !!!!

• Like 5

I dont think its the working from home altogether, in my company the majority of us worked from home, but our call centres (after the obligatory re spacing of all the desks), were manned we had backup centres in case an outbreak of Covid hit an office (we actually did have one office shut for two weeks when they had someone with a case of Covid) but the important fact was that every department that needed to work in an office worked in an office (as a Utility supply company we were classed as essential, everyone was issued with a covering letter, just in case they needed to go to the office). now things are returning to normal, we have mostly returned to working in the office with recognition of the effectiveness of working from home recognised and now allowed for, each role being allocated a number of days per week they can work from home, this keeps the offices manned at covid responsible levels (ie reduced numbers daily), some staff with greater travel requirements are being allowed to continue working from home too.

Suffice to say that if a company goes about things the right way, then working from home can be achieved, but there has to be a core of staff who are willing to work from the office to make that work, and there has to be balance.

• Like 2

BTW, Don't get me wrong - I love this country, the UK, Great Britain. I was born and bred here and would not want to live anywhere else. It has beauty here, and I think on the whole our society here is as good as you will find anywhere. Yes we have our problems, but so does every country. 

But it just makes me mad how things work sometimes, and how things are 'spun' to suit one political view or another rather than just telling the straight truth that we can all understand and respect. 

And that is a gold standard, world beating, best of class 5 A* opinion 😉

34 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Not sure if this link will work but I've just read this article on our local newspaper website.  Just about sums it up!!

https://www.rugbyadvertiser.co.uk/news/people/relax-there-is-no-shortage-of-fuel-in-rugby-and-you-will-cause-harm-if-you-try-to-stockpile-3396600

Chris

gosh thats a rare sight to see, a newspaper that isnt spreading alarm and panic, well done the Rugby Advertiser

• Like 2

Well , Cambridge now has zero diesel available anywhere , our son who works with vulnerable children in a residential homes is now out of diesel , he’s due back at work tomorrow , if he can’t get any then he can’t go to work .

Katie has less than 100 miles range left in her car , she needs all of it to be able to get to work at Addenbrookes or some operations will be cancelled , I’ve got about 250 miles left so that will probably have to be used by me getting my family to work , four members work at Addenbrookes , then I read on Facebook that people that usually put £20 a week in their cars are brimming them just in case !!!!!

People can be so irresponsible and selfish !!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I travel 100 to 150 mile a day not life saving work just a contract I’m on at the moment, how ever I may have to not work this week due to lack of diesel and then incurring late finishing charges which may loose our future tenders and possibly the other tradesmen I work with may need to find other contacts it has a massive knock on JUST BUY FUEL LIKE YOU NORMALLY DO!!! Then there would be NO problem….

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Oddfellow said:

There's a lot of blame going to the media for this. I say that's rubbish. I haven't seen a media report about fuel shortages. I have seen media reports that a handfull of BP stations are closed. Nobody has forced the proliferation of selfish aholes to block roads and running forecourts dry. I've abandoned a photography trip to Suffolk this weekend because I can't be guaranteed to get fuel for the mohome and further abandoned even a drive to Winterton because I need to be able to get my children to Norwich College each day next week and I am unsure of fuel availability to do that. 

That's a minor inconvenience. 

A major inconvenience is that (stupidly) the emergency services don't have their own supplies. Ambulances et al are struggling to find fuel whilst Eric Von ****** in the 1/4 mile queue for fuel has a coronary with the stress of not being able to put 10 litres of fuel in his take to get it to the full marker again.  

This must soon have a knock on effect for the HGV crisis that started this vicious circle; how long before road freight can't move because Karen from number 10 has filled her bath with Derv on the advice from "lood after yrself barry" from facebook?

Not quite sure what media outlets you've watched Andy but your wrong I'm afraid. Both bbc and itv have hyped up the issue using some quite evocative images and comments. Totally agree about the social media sheep that just follow the herd. Typical of society today I'm afraid. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

It was the same in the beginning. The media reported the odd supermarket here and there that had ran out of loo rolls.Resulting in panic buying.Of couse report  on problem but stop going over the top.

Do you not think that a supermarket with a perfectly good logistics department is capable of not running out of bog paper? It was panic buying that lead to the loo roll shelves being empty in the first place. That fad started down under and got reported. 

There's a lot of blame going to the media for essentially "doing its job". If you write a book and put a cover on it that should be wiped with loo roll, you won't sell the book. If you write an article with a bad headline or a bad intro, nobody will read it. If you make a TV serial with a bad title, awful intro and poor story, nobody will watch it. 

The entire purpose of a headline is to grab someone's attention and get them to read on or listen on. You simply cannot blame the media for doing its job here.  That's the lazy response. The cause of our current problems are The Pandemic, The Government response, Brexit and very specifically, the idiot public, many of whom I wouldn't trust to hold a door open. 

• Like 1

Just now, Oddfellow said:

There's a lot of blame going to the media for essentially "doing its job". If you write a book and put a cover on it that should be wiped with loo roll, you won't sell the book. If you write an article with a bad headline or a bad intro, nobody will read it.

The lack of factual accuracy in the media is why I dont buy newspapers and dont watch news programs, at best I react to news posted on social media by going and fact checking the content, then refuting the claims that are patently false. It seems i am having to do this more and more due to people reposting absolute twaddle without first fact checking the source. particularly I have seen the same news events publicised on both sides of the brexit camp as evidence why we should have / should not have left the EU, and both sides spun the actual fact to suit their viewpoint. unfortunately until the british news start actually reporting facts accurately I see no reason to follow them any more.

• Like 5