Reading Tide Tables

10 minutes ago, vanessan said:

The BA tide tables quote predicted heights relating to Yarmouth Bar. If you look down the tables at the heights given for high and low water times, it is very easy to see when the highest and lowest tides are occurring. Many of us mere mortals are unable to judge weather conditions, pressure etc along with these details so rely on tide times/heights alone. If the water is high at Yarmouth Bar, then it will be high further up the system, just not as much. (I find them useful in deciding whether or not to stop at Berney Arms or Burgh Castle for any length of time, neaps provide easier moorings.)

I accept that everyone should use whatever works for them thats not a problem it was just a general observation, for me it is quite simple, as I spend most of my time in the North I am flexible when it comes to where we go any given day  so knowing tide times and using the BB camera  I can choose comfortable moorings depending on prevailing conditions, apart from PH being no go bridges are not generally an issue but that is just our approach to boating we keep things as simple and relaxing as possible, it is not ment to suggest others shouldnt do things differently.

Fred

There is an issue here, that there are some low bridges on the broads where a lot of boats have an air draft that will not / may not fit under certain of the lower bridges some or all of the time.

Summarised as follows:

- If you have a 'bathtub', it is generally not a problem to get anywhere.

- If you have a 'broads cruiser' eg with a retracting mid cabin, you may fit through most bridges given good tide conditions

- If you have a 'cabin cruiser', with retracting screens or similar, some bridges will be no-go, others you might just squeeze under at low tides

- If you have a fixed cabin cruiser or fly bridge, more bridges will be inaccessible.

So my question, as a prospective boat owner,  is this - what is the tallest air draft that will allow reasonable access under most bridges at typical low tides ?

(I accept the Potter Higham is out of the question, but Wroxham would be a 'nice to have')

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

There is an issue here, that there are some low bridges on the broads where a lot of boats have an air draft that will not / may not fit under certain of the lower bridges some or all of the time.

Summarised as follows:

- If you have a 'broads cruiser' eg with a retracting mid cabin, you may fit through most bridges given good tide conditions

- If you have a 'cabin cruiser', with retracting screens or similar, some bridges will be no-go, others you might just squeeze under at low tides

- If you have a fixed cabin cruiser or fly bridge, more bridges will be inaccessible.

So my question, as a prospective boat owner,  is this - what is the tallest air draft that will allow reasonable access under most bridges at typical low tides ?

(I accept the Potter Higham is out of the question, but Wroxham would be a 'nice to have')

Under 7'0" will clear all but PH, Wayford bridge is a tight 7'0" Wroxham can vary between about 6'6" and 7'3" and I believe all the Southern Bridges are higher but others will know better than I regarding Norwich.

Fred

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Summarised as follows:

I think you’ve summed it up quite well there.

Having one of the much maligned bathtubs, it is only in very extreme conditions that we have a worry with bridges. We don’t even have to think about transiting at low water very often either and we use the whole Broads system regularly. (Our boat was chosen to take into account our advancing years 😩 and the ability to get dogs on and off relatively easily.)
Probably the most practical boat, imho, is the centre cockpit giving views across the reeds etc and the opportunity to drop the canopy for low bridges. There will always be a compromise but it’s well worth taking the time to really think about what is important to you, as you do seem to be doing. 

• Like 2