Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

Thanks for the photos. Just shows how lovely it can be on the rivers in November. Judging by the colour of the trees here in MK, the autumn colours are probably at their best too. Things were still rather green the first couple of weeks in November when we were down. Not that I’m complaining, we had a lovely fortnight.

• Like 2

Left Potter , overcast and chilly but dry , didn’t venture to The Norada last night had a few whiskey (Irish) macs onboard instead .

Currently moored up on Gayes vac packing the bedding cushions etc prior to putting Pipedreams to bed for a few days .

We thoroughly enjoyed our short break afloat , The Broads never fails to fill me with wonder at its beauty no matter what  the weather may be . 

D48806E4-D0F5-4BF1-9209-652689464629.jpeg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

We are aboard now in the wet shed , river levels look very high presently , we have decided to remain in here today as we were later than expected , and it’s very wet outside , plus there’s cleaning jobs etc to do .

We will set sail tomorrow a.m. , I think the Crown at Catfield is calling for this evening 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I think the Crown at Catfield is calling for this evening

Haven’t heard of that one. Sounds as if you’ve been there before. 

13 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We have, often on the way up on a Friday .

They do home cooked ham , two local farm eggs and proper chips (not out of a bag) for £9.50 , added to the fact that it is a real locals pub with excellent real ales 

Their Sunday lunch is also good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Popped into Norwich today for some retail therapy , then White Horse Upton for a truly excellent Sunday roast , short hop to Ranworth (of course) to see what happening now back to Stalham for an afternoon snooze aboard , how have we managed so much cruising ? Simple used the car today lol

3B3DB4B0-F1D2-4D15-ADB4-18A78DA2D5D2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had an excellent Sunday roast at the Upton White Horse in November. I must admit it’s becoming on of my favourite Broads pubs, rivalling the White Horse Neatishead and Thurne Lion. Shame there was no room at the staithe, so it’s lucky that we walked there from the Acle moorings. An easy walk, and the return walk it did help to settle the rather large helpings of dinner.

Their puddings menu would have looked very tempting had we not been too stuffed! 

• Like 1

Ah! The Upton White Horse.

Their Pie. It would feed a family of four. Well, me and Mrs Wussername couldn't eat all of it. Had to have a doggy bag. No dog mind, we pretended. Had it the following day. Again. It was delicious. 

Son came with his wife.  Yuppie from The City. Nobody really knows what he does. Wherever he goes he complains. The wine is not warm enough. The plates are to cold, the steak is not rare it goes on and on. 

We quivered in anticipation as to what would follow, yet another embarrassing tirade.

But no. Praise was heaped upon every body. His meal was perfect, he had a gravy boat, with real gravy, gravy appropriate to the meal. Hot. Replenished. Vegetables were perfect. Then we came to the dessert, his dessert actually, The Crumble. I can't remember what sort. It certainly was not Rhubarb or Apple, something unusual, he did not stop talking about it. This is a man who frequents some of London's top restaurants. When he visits Norfolk, which is quite often it is his pub restaurant of choice.

As for the Kings Arms in Ludham. We are spoilt. Their Rib of Beef, is too die for. Top Side for some, for me The Rib. These places take a bit of effort to find and get too,but well worth it.

Andrew

• Like 4

Currently moored up on Horning staithe , chilly but dry .

Broadland landscape at its winter finest , river quiet and peaceful .

Ludham bridge clearance was at only 7ft8” so we squeezed under with the roof up , one boat was waiting the other side as they required 7ft11” so no chance , as we passed under we passed Chameleon cruising upstream .

On our journey to Horning we passed only two other boats afloat .

A third (approx) of the moorings at How Hill are roped off having the quay heading replaced , it doesn’t seem that long ago that this was replaced last time .

All settled in now for the day/evening and dinner on board this evening I think  , pork schnitzel with fresh veg a bottle of Merlot and a few malts as a nightcap sounds about right 

• Like 1