Having A Pump Out

I was not aware that Herbert Woods prioritise there own Boats Pump First as to the as Hirers will have to wait when ever it suites them to it . I did not have any problem last Year with the Pump on our  Boat. They also turn round and said to me other Boat Yards do the same prioritise is this True or not? I

If a yards busy Andrew like on a turnaround day, I'm sure they would prioritise there own boats 1st as they are working to a tight timeline. If fact I'm sure a lot of yards actively discourage visiting craft on such days. Barnes use to have signs up to that fact. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

I was not aware that Herbert Woods prioritise there own Boats Pump First as to the as Hirers will have to wait when ever it suites them to it . I did not have any problem last Year with the Pump on our  Boat. They also turn round and said to me other Boat Yards do the same prioritise is this True or not? I

Sorry but I would have thought that was obvious, dont understand why so many hire boats want a pump out unless you are out for 2 weeks, we manage 14 days at a time and only then pump out to keep it sweet.

Fred

8 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

As privateers , we try to use shore based facilities where possible , plus we know where they are situated , many hirers are not used to limited capacity for waste “water” , nor where there are facilities ashore .

Partly because of lack partly  because of choice of moorings we never use shore moorings and never did as hirers.

Fred

25 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sorry but I would have thought that was obvious, dont understand why so many hire boats want a pump out unless you are out for 2 weeks, we manage 14 days at a time and only then pump out to keep it sweet.

Fred

A lot of new boats take grey waste from wash basins, showers and the sink into the black water tank, which obviously fills it more quickly than older hire boats.

• Like 1

I recently read a holiday tail from someone on a week's boating holiday posted on trip advisor. They had 3 pump out over the course of the week. Also another one from somebody who was convinced both the water and waste gauges were faulty on his particular boat. I've only ever had need to have one pump out and that was because my young son hadn't shut of the water valve properly. When the guys finished pumping the boat out they didn't charge me because they could see it was just fresh water. Even on my stag doo none of the 3 boats we'd hired needed pumping out and there was some considerable drinking that weekend. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SwanR said:

As a hirer, if you have no gauge on the boat to tell you whether you need a pump out, and if your own yard will do it for free, then if you’re passing you might decide to stop and get it done anyway. 

Fair enough and when we hired if you were out for 2 weeks you got the pump out refunded that's understandable but not boats that have only been out for 3 or 4 days, perhaps its just me or maybe the yards instruction but I don't recall it ever being a problem.

Fred

2 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fair enough and when we hired if you were out for 2 weeks you got the pump out refunded that's understandable but not boats that have only been out for 3 or 4 days, perhaps its just me or maybe the yards instruction but I don't recall it ever being a problem.

Fred

Totally agree...

41 minutes ago, SwanR said:

As a hirer, if you have no gauge on the boat to tell you whether you need a pump out, and if your own yard will do it for free, then if you’re passing you might decide to stop and get it done anyway. 

In my day. Gauges, none. The water tank. The wonder tank. You allways wondered what was in it.

The fuel tank. A stick. Never failed. Never confused.

The toilet tank. The nose. A bit of kit which was invaluable. A sniff, a sniff recognised by all. Every soul was on QRA (quick reaction alert) for a pump out.

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Gauges lie lol 

I guess there are certain circumstances where individual 'requirements' vary.. we mostly work on the "better safe than sorry" principle. 

I admire the.. um, constitution, of those able to manage a fortnight between pump outs, delicacy forbids further enquiry lol

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

In my day. Gauges, none. The water tank. The wonder tank. You allways wondered what was in it.

The fuel tank. A stick. Never failed. Never confused.

The toilet tank. The nose. A bit of kit which was invaluable. A sniff, a sniff recognised by all. Every soul was on QRA (quick reaction alert) for a pump out.

Andrew

Agree 100% there’s probably no reason to over complicate river cruisers on the broads less to break = less to maintain = more beer tokens 🍺👍

57 minutes ago, Ray said:

Gauges lie lol 

I guess there are certain circumstances where individual 'requirements' vary.. we mostly work on the "better safe than sorry" principle. 

I admire the.. um, constitution, of those able to manage a fortnight between pump outs, delicacy forbids further enquiry lol

I guess it possibly depends on the equasion between the number of occupants and toilets/holding tanks, I also find the odd top up of blue helps, that's one advantage that comes with experience even from my hiring days.

Fred

• Like 2

We did manage a fortnight without a pump out on Moonlight Shadow about an year ago. There is a warning indicator on the loo and that stayed green the whole fortnight and there wasn’t any noticeable smell. However, my son unexpectedly joined us for the second week and was using the en suite to the rear cabin, so we made sure to use that loo during the day once he was with us. I guess that must have ‘evened things out’ a bit.

• Like 2

Another component that comes with experience is the amount of clean water used when flushing, you need far less than many would think, a bit like showers if used sensibly, I am sure to many behave as though they were still on mains at home,  understandable with first timers but would expect others to learn the difference.

Fred

• Like 2

19 hours ago, andyg said:

If a yards busy Andrew like on a turnaround day, I'm sure they would prioritise there own boats 1st as they are working to a tight timeline. If fact I'm sure a lot of yards actively discourage visiting craft on such days. Barnes use to have signs up to that fact. 

Brooms seem to have finally settled their kiosk opening hours as 10.00 - 17.00 daily. The hours used to vary according to whether it was a changeover day or not. This obviously gives them time to get their own hire boats sorted out with pumpouts, water and fuel on return and the quayside is then free for visiting craft. Seems to work ok. 
Just a reminder, when we were last there (last month) there was a sign saying card payments only from end of October. That includes a £3 water fill. 

22 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred

Firstly, there's no standard size of tank and the design of some vessels made smaller tanks necessary as there was just no space. Tranquil Freedom had a particularly small tank which would rarely last a week and much less  if the boat was stacked out. 

Secondly, most tanks have no level meter. 

Thirdly, many yards advise a mid-week pump out which will vastly reduce the likelihood of a call out for "potti training" issues. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oddfellow said:

Firstly, there's no standard size of tank and the design of some vessels made smaller tanks necessary as there was just no space. Tranquil Freedom had a particularly small tank which would rarely last a week and much less  if the boat was stacked out. 

Secondly, most tanks have no level meter. 

Thirdly, many yards advise a mid-week pump out which will vastly reduce the likelihood of a call out for "potti training" issues. 

In nearly 30 years of hiring we never had a problem and was only ever advised to have a pump out when out for 2 weeks the cost of which was refunded on return, horses for courses I suppose.

Fred