Thoughts On Surveys...

BelgianExile

Hi all.

We're currently looking to buy a sports cruiser, probably in the 8 metre range with a budget of up to £20k. What are people's thoughts on surveys? I've had a look through the forums, and it seems to be a divisive issue!

What sort of cost would be involved, and would a survey include the engine or is this treated separately? In my mind, an engine look over would be arguably more important, especially as I'm not particularly mechanically minded.

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks.

Welcome,

At that budget I would have a survey. Costs will depend on size and lift out costs locally but I would allow around £750 in total.

I have no idea on engine surveys as I have never had one but a good river trial should show up most issues.

When looking and you find one you like, use your head and eyes rather than your heart.

• Like 4

We also had ours surveyed before purchase.  With the lift out, it was around £700 from memory.  Sadly, I think ours forgot to remove his dark glasses before completing it and he did miss one or two quite major faults, however did find a couple of things that were important too, such as a gas leak and bent prop shaft.

If and when we buy another boat, I will have it surveyed, but now know someone I trust who will under the task more thoroughly.  Without having it lifted, you really have no idea of what horrors may be hiding below the waterline.

Our survey for a 31ft boat last month cost £460 plus the lift out of £240 so yes £700 all in including vat .

many insurers insist on a survey prior to cover , plus when spending (in your case) c£20k a survey is definitely called for .

We used Glenn Loman (Aquaspark1@gmail.com) and found him very to be very efficient and thorough .

The survey doesn’t include an in depth engine survey , if this is a concern then you can get the oil particulate tested to give you further information .

At the very least a full survey can place you in a “bargaining position” if something major needs addressing 

Insurance companies like to see a professional hull survey report. The cost can be slightly offset by the better deals you can get, fully comp for instance. Others here will have more experience.

I agree with the importance of getting the engine/gearbox checked over. I would have thought a surveying engineer would be able to advise on that even if they didn't do it themselves? I never got mine surveyed but it must be a common question.

We had an oil analysis on all of Crown Blue Line's boats in France one year. The results were totally bizarre and we never had it done again!

Perhaps the best way to tell is to listen to the engine, especially when accelerating and look at any smoke coming from the exhaust. White smoke is un-burned diesel; blue smoke is burning oil (lack of compression) and black smoke is probably not very good news.

If it is difficult to start that is also a clue, but that may just be the pre-heat glow plugs.

• Like 1

As the OP said sports cruiser it's worth mentioning that an older volvo (especially TMD/TAMD 41A's) that smokes on startup is not a sign of problems, they were like that from new and will never be any different, first open up after poodling along rivers tends to be a smokey affair as well, it's just a bit of oil build up in the turbo from running with no boost pressure and soon clears.

• Like 2