Total Newbie To The Broads , Going Round In Circles Looking To Hire For A Taster.

Duck450

On 13/10/2021 at 08:52, YnysMon said:

Does anyone know what's happened about those Whitlingham moorings? Are there still there, but under the ownership of the charitable trust that looks after the park, or have they been closed completely?

They are now under the ownership of Whitlingham Charitable Trust. I understand they will be closed from the end of October until Easter 2022.

On 13/10/2021 at 09:18, YnysMon said:

Thanks for the hint Alan.

I thought I'd double check that the Oulton Broad and Beccles Yacht Stations will be open next month. They are, at least the Beccles web page doesn't say anything about closing for winter. Interestingly the Oulton Broad has opening times of 08:00 to 12:00 between November and March, so I guess if we want electric we'd have to arrive between those times. 

Does anyone here know whether the electric posts at Reedham are available over winter?

Oulton electric is on all the time, as far as I know.  Just turn up and plug in.  You can book a mooring in advance and it doesn’t matter what time you arrive.  The hoses aren’t out at the moment, but there is a fresh water tap on the pontoon (as long as it’s not frozen), so you can hook up to that with standard Hozelock style fittings.

Beccles is different, as they use their own electric cards which are available from the harbourmaster’s office.  You buy one with a pre determined amount of credit and swipe the post as you would with BA posts.  You’re supposed to take the card back, but if you keep it, you can dump the remaining credit back on the card for next time.

Thanks Malcolm. We weren’t sure about Oulton Broad, having only visited once in our pre-MS days.

Good to know you can use Beccles cards again on subsequent visits. Back in May we were thinking of going to Beccles but we changed our minds as we knew we wouldn’t arrive until after the Station Master had gone home, so we wouldn’t be able to purchase a card.