Maintenance Work On The River Bure From Acle Road Bridge From 3rd To 17th December

Dear all,

Notice is hereby given that JBA-Bentley Partnership will be undertaking maintenance works of the quay wall area, from Monday 29 November 2021 until Friday 25 February 2022. The site stretches along the downstream end of the River Bure, from grid ref TG519079 to TG520085.

The maintenance works on the water will involve the use of floating pontoons and a small work safety vessel.

Note: During the above period navigation will remain open, but vessels must exercise great care whilst proceeding past the vicinity of the works.

River Closure

Further notice is given that the River Bure will be closed at Acle New Road Bridge, Gt Yarmouth (grid ref TG521081) from Friday 03 December until Friday 17 December 2021.

Any vessel requiring urgent passage during this period, should make enquiries with JBA-Bentley Partnership on 07970405665 as soon as possible.

All equipment will be lit and signage will be in place to warn of restriction and delays.

For more information and to see a map please visit: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/boating-news/navigation-closure-due-to-flood-defence-works-on-the-lower-bure/

Best,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team.

Yes I was thinking the same and of Howard and his wife.   Ok not many hirers would be crossing but they certainly would, it is part of their holiday.

Speaking of Howard and his wife,  I do hope they are ok as not heard much from them lately.

• Like 4

Talking of Acle Bridge,

The downstream lights at the centre of the bridge have a problem.  Firstly they don't light but annoyingly the electrical system repeatedly keeps trying to start the lights off and its noisy, this goes on constantly all evening through the night and is proper irritating when berthed adjacent to the bridge when the river / road traffic has stopped.  It needs sorting

Would it be Tom Waterfall I report to the fault to or another agency?

Griff

On 16/10/2021 at 08:48, Hylander said:

Yes I was thinking the same and of Howard and his wife.   Ok not many hirers would be crossing but they certainly would, it is part of their holiday.

Speaking of Howard and his wife,  I do hope they are ok as not heard much from them lately.

I could be wrong but I believe hire boats are not allowed to cross Breydon in December by the hire yards.

Fred

17 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I could be wrong but I believe hire boats are not allowed to cross Breydon in December by the hire yards.

Fred

Doesn’t it depend on the yard? Mr and Mrs Nog have crossed many times in the winter, I think Bridgecraft is their favourite yard. Hope they are both ok, I miss them on the forum. 

Just now, vanessan said:

Doesn’t it depend on the yard? Mr and Mrs Nog have crossed many times in the winter, I think Bridgecraft is their favourite yard. Hope they are both ok, I miss them on the forum. 

Possibly I am only working from a memory that hire boats were restricted in winter, that's why I said I could be wrong.

Fred

Just to clarify (for anyone not studying the above info closely):-

River Closure and Quay Wall Maintenance

The bridge is correctly described as the "Acle Road" bridge but it's not at Acle itself

By word of mouth, anyone familiar with the area (and not having access to the ordnance survey co-ordinates or the map in the official notification) would just need to know that this is adjacent to Asda at the Bure Mouth, Great Yarmouth

So there's no problem for boats from the Northern Broads reaching either the Bridge Inn, Acle or Ferry Inn, Stokesby

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Acle Bridge by the Bridge Inn.

I spoke with Tom Waterfall (SCO - Broads Authority) about the inoperative warning light on the face of the downstream side of the bridge, specifically the horrible noise it makes all night long in trying to illuminate.  Tom informs me that the head Ranger has raised the issue with the highways department.

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Nogs are fine, many thanks. Just taking a bit of a break at the mo. December should be all go, barring accidents and another lockdown. Bridgecraft are really excellent, being a smaller, family run yard they are able to be more flexible and really look after their customers. :91_thumbsup:

Roll on December! 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The Nogs are fine, many thanks. Just taking a bit of a break at the mo. . . . . . .

Good to hear from you, Howard.  Glad everything is okay and I’m looking forward to your ramblings when you’re out and about again!! 😁👍

Lovely to hear from you again! Hope you have a good week in December. I’ve been looking at the weather forecast for the weekend (we are arriving Saturday) and it’s looking a bit soggy for Saturday and windy for Sunday! Great, just what we need. I shouldn’t moan though, when I think of people affected by the recent rain and floods. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The Nogs are fine, many thanks. Just taking a bit of a break at the mo. December should be all go, barring accidents and another lockdown. Bridgecraft are really excellent, being a smaller, family run yard they are able to be more flexible and really look after their customers. :91_thumbsup:

Roll on December! 

Sometimes it is good to step back and recharge from forums. Good to hear both of you are ok none the less.

11 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Roll on December! 

Good to hear all is ok and you’ll be back on the rivers in December. Look forward to hearing your tales. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2021 at 17:30, ranworthbreeze said:

Dear all,

Notice is hereby given that JBA-Bentley Partnership will be undertaking maintenance works of the quay wall area, from Monday 29 November 2021 until Friday 25 February 2022. The site stretches along the downstream end of the River Bure, from grid ref TG519079 to TG520085.

The maintenance works on the water will involve the use of floating pontoons and a small work safety vessel.

Note: During the above period navigation will remain open, but vessels must exercise great care whilst proceeding past the vicinity of the works.

River Closure

Further notice is given that the River Bure will be closed at Acle New Road Bridge, Gt Yarmouth (grid ref TG521081) from Friday 03 December until Friday 17 December 2021.

Any vessel requiring urgent passage during this period, should make enquiries with JBA-Bentley Partnership on 07970405665 as soon as possible.

All equipment will be lit and signage will be in place to warn of restriction and delays.

For more information and to see a map please visit: https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/boating-news/navigation-closure-due-to-flood-defence-works-on-the-lower-bure/

Best,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team.

I find the Broads Authority website so confusing as today I thought I would check out the current notices to mariners and see things which took place over 18 months ago and have long since finished and notices such as this nowhere to be found...

Why they have so many differences on one website with notices to mariners, boating news and current notices, is beyond my comprehension and leads to confusion in my humble opinion!

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/notices-to-mariners

How on earth newbies go on, I have no idea..........

Whoever designed the website needs to get newbies to check it as part of a user experience test so they know the information is in the right place and easily found  

23 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I agree the Broads Authority website can be somewhat hard to navigate especially some of the notices to mariners. The forum however gets regular important notices that we do try to get on the forum ASAP.

Regards

Alan

Difficulty with clear navigation seems to be a bit of a blind spot with the BA at times.....

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I agree the Broads Authority website can be somewhat hard to navigate especially some of the notices to mariners. The forum however gets regular important notices that we do try to get on the forum ASAP.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan for everything you and the moderators do

I did recall reading it on here so thought I would just check out the BA site this morning for any updates, but could I find it?

Nope!

Hence referring back to the forum for the message and the link as it looks like we may be on MS 27th November until 11th December if things work out and are planning to travel north first before the closure affects the route

• Like 2

Hi guys, I think I understand the confusion here.

The reason you can't see this news under 'Notices to Mariners' is because the item is classed as 'Boating news'. It's been on there since 15 October.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/boating-news

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/boating-news/navigation-closure-due-to-flood-defence-works-on-the-lower-bure

(See item titled Navigation closure due to flood defence works on the Lower Bure)

Yes there are multiple links to 'Boating News' and 'Notices to Mariners' on the site but they all go to either of these two pages. I believe we are required to keep notices for the previous year (so in this case 2020) on there for a particular amount of time before we can remove them. Notice to mariners also get included in the EDP/Evening News too.

The reason this item in particular is in boating news is because 'Notices to Mariners' are generally reserved for longer-term works that are taking place well into the future. If something is happening relatively soon, say in the next month or so, it goes onto boating news.

Also, note that some items are marked as 'urgent boating news' if they directly impact the navigation at the moment or there is a risk to safety, e.g. Breydon Water being closed to hire craft or the river being closed due to an ongoing incident.

We suggest checking both the Notices to Mariners and boating news pages regularly for updates and I also make sure that everything goes onto our Facebook/Twitter pages too.

I can also add you to our 'notices to mariners' mailing list so that you receive an email from me/a colleague every time something gets added. Just drop me a message on here or send me an email (Tom.Waterfall@broads-authority.gov.uk) giving your consent for me to do so and I'll sort it out.

Finally, if you need an update on anything on there just drop me a line at Tom.Waterfall@broads-authority.gov.uk and I'll happily liase with the Ranger team and get back to you. Or phone Broads Control on 01603 756056.

Cheers

Tom

• Thanks 4