So Near ... So Far

SwanR

As some of you already know, I spent a short break afloat on Bella Donna last week. This is the story of those few days ... so near to home ... yet so far in so many ways. With our trip last March having been cancelled like so many others, this was to be our first time out since moving to Norfolk, our first hire since March 2020. 

Monday 11th October

This was a slightly strange day. Our appointed time of arrival at the yard was 1pm but instead of a 2 1/2 hour drive up from Essex, we now were only faced with a 15 minute journey. So what to do all morning. Well packing had been left even though I had been organising a few things over the weekend. And instead of shopping in advance, and stopping on the way at the farm shop, it was a trip to Roy's to source the few fresh items I wanted to take.

Lunch was soup and rolls about midday, and then finally, finally, it was time to load up the car, lock all the windows and doors, and without needing the satnav(!) find our way to Richardson's. There we joined the queue of other one o'clock arrivals, who probably having travelled further than us, had arrived before us, and we were almost at the back. The two lanes seemed to move incredibly slowly but nonetheless we had a smooth handover, loaded our bags on board, and soon after 2pm we were getting out onto the river. That is once I had negotiated getting out of our spot on the quay. Other boats on both sides, other visiting boats moored opposite, it was a little tight ... and as this boat was new to us, and I was a little rusty after 18 months away, I did make contact with one of the other boats in my haste to get out before anyone else on their trial run should happen to get in my way along a very busy Swan Quay!!

As I always helm in and out of the moorings, I tend to be the one who takes the boat on our first journey, time to get used to it before we moor up. Where to go. We don't really plan our first night, just have a few options in mind. Barton Broad was soon in sight ... along with my first glimpse of sailing boats. Fortunately, and very wisely, they kept out of my way. I put the throttle forward and noticed that this boat seemed to need a lot of revs to make speed. Still with a handy electronic speed and depth gauge, I was sure I was still only making 5mph at most. Glad to get across I eased back as we entered the Ant headed towards Irstead. Now if Irstead had happened to be free I might well have stopped there, but it was full so we carried on past. 

How Hill was our next landmark having passed a number of boats wild moored. But it's not my favourite place for getting in and out, the river can seem quite narrow if there's much traffic. With no-one in front or behind me I carried on. The top end of the Ant had seemed quite busy with quite a few boats making ready to start their journey but also quite a few of Richardson's fleet seemingly also headed back in that direction. Ludham Bridge came into view ... I do get quite excited once I spot the bridge way off in the distance with cars going over it. Just something about knowing that I'm almost there and the challenge will soon be upon me. There were plenty of moorings there and I was tempted to pull in. But we had now decided that Ranworth Island was to be our destination. Easily through the bridge before anything came in the opposite direction, I enjoyed the final few minutes of the Ant between the bridge and the Bure. 

Without much visibility from a forward steer cruiser with the reeds being so high, I carefully crept out onto the Bure and noticed how different the two rivers feel. Before too long I could see the entrance to Ranworth Dam. The staithe was full which was fine as I would rather have a bit more space around me than play sardines with the other boats. There was just one other person already moored at the Island so my first stern on mooring was quite easy. My hubby is brilliant at calling directions to me from the stern of the boat and in a few minutes he was off and getting the ropes secured.

The rest of the day was spent watching the other boats that came in until daylight faded to dusk. Curtains closed, tea prepared, an evening to unwind followed by an early night.

IMG_2377.JPG

P1040824.JPG

• Like 12

Bella Donna ? We’re did they get that name from ?I thought it was the name of the B and B from the Only fools and horses Jolly boys outing but realised that was the Villa Bella 😂 Looks a bit nicer Jean and hope you had a nice week 👍

John 

• Thanks 1

Thanks John, yes the rest of the tale is to come. This boat was called Mamma Mia when Richardson's bought it. They acquired several private boats this summer and seem to have started an Italian theme for the names.

Helen it certainly was different living so close to where we were on holiday. And I'll touch on that as the tale goes on. There were a couple of moments where we used Google Maps to see how far we were from home ... I think the closest one was 5 miles! :default_rofl:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Did you find the reversing camera helpful?

I will write a full boat review at the end of the tale but yes, the picture quality was good from the camera. However I used it more for knowing whether there was anyone behind me when cruising. That was really helpful given the helm seat is not by an opening window, so I couldn't just stick my head out to take a look. It meant that I was aware when anyone decided to overtake me and could give them plenty of room, ease back on the throttle a bit to let them go.

Incidentally, the stern door was fine but the door to the bow was very low. I'm only 5'5 but I still had to duck to get through that one!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jbx5 said:

Bella Donna ? We’re did they get that name from ?I thought it was the name of the B and B from the Only fools and horses Jolly boys outing but realised that was the Villa Bella 😂

Interesting name really.  The English translation from the Italian Bella Donna means beautiful lady, but it’s also the name for the plant deadly nightshade.  I do wonder if Richardson’s realise that!!

• Like 1

I will probably write a little bit about that aspect once I’ve finished the daily write ups and get to the review. But for us the point was that you still see things that can only be viewed from the water. And there’s no other feeling like cruising along the river. Living life at a slower pace. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Bella Donna ? We’re did they get that name from ?I thought it was the name of the B and B from the Only fools and horses Jolly boys outing but realised that was the Villa Bella 😂 Looks a bit nicer Jean and hope you had a nice week 👍

John 

Bella Donna was a hit for Stevie Nicks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday 12th October

I don’t remember too much about that morning, other than we had been awake early … getting used to the bed. Very firm!!! By the end of the few days I was comfortable enough but that first night felt like sleeping on a board. And that was with the extra padding of the duvet underneath us as we had taken a sleeping bag for better warmth at night. So breakfast time. I don’t mind an old fashioned kettle on the gas ring. But making toast under the grill took an age. You couldn’t seem to have the shelf in its top position and fit the grill tray under the gas with a slice of bread on it. So the shelf had to be in the middle oven position and making toast was slow! But then one is not in any great hurry when watching the Broad come to life … as well as one’s fellow boaters … 

The decision to be made was where to go. Having got down to Ranworth we were fairly centrally placed. We had hoped to go into Wroxham, under the bridge as low water was around midday, and on to Coltishall. We haven’t done that stretch of river yet. Just never seem to time it right to get the pilot, avoid the inevitable queue on the bridge approach at certain times and … well I didn’t fancy being webcam bait either!! Given what I was reading about the water levels being high we decided that the chances were slim of getting the pilot to take us through the bridge even with an air draft of 6’9. And from what I have read online since I think we were probably right. So we decided to leave that stretch for a possible dayboat trip some other time and take the opposite direction to Acle. We have only moored there a couple of times and there was now the attraction of the electric post on the BA moorings given that Tuesday was set to be the one very cold night of the week. Knowing that rain was forecast later we wanted to cruise through the morning so left about 8.30am. 

It was a nice run straight through. We did cruise down through Horning first before doing an about turn on a nice wide part of the Bure. We didn’t detour to either side after that, neither did we stop for a break anywhere. I had it in mind that as the rivers still looked fairly busy in places, then the popular lunchtime mooring spots would fill up. I wanted a nice easy side on mooring at Acle and so we arrived soon after 11. There were a few people fishing who looked as if they would not be happy to be asked to move. So I headed for the front end of the BA mooring near the cafe. There was one man fishing there but we managed to still get onto the front post. My hubby tried to make conversation but he didn’t seem to want to engage so he became the day’s entertainment as we watched what he caught until he packed up about 3.

A note about visibility from the helm. I did have a little trouble with spatial awareness at times, although my mooring at Acle went perfectly well. Bow and stern thrusters are a useful combination when you want to get both ends of the boat against the quay heading. But as Cambridge Cabby rightly pointed out, the view to starboard is not ideal and I’ll put a photo below. This, however, isn’t unique to this boat. I’ve helmed other forward steer cruisers that also have those panels by the door filled in. Give me back Swan Reflection where if I remember correctly Swancraft had the presence of mind to make them windows and put glass in there.

IMG_2407.thumb.JPG.a28fb1015b0a9bb3da097d75603c87f6.JPG

Now apart from getting shore power hookup, Acle also held the attraction of lunch at the Bridge Inn. I phoned across and managed to book us for 12.30. Perfect. From social media it has become obvious that some establishments are struggling with supplies and staff but the Bridge Inn didn’t seem to have been reporting this so I was fairly confident we would be ok there. We had a nice table with a river view, the staff were friendly and attentive but not overly so. I had the lasagne as it seems to be highly recommended, and hubby had the homemade steak and ale pie. Portion sizes were quite large given all the accompaniments on the plate. I would prefer to be served slightly less as I don’t like wasting food. But it was very good and I would definitely go back.

While we had been in there it had poured with rain. As the skies had brightened we took the opportunity to have a walk up one of the footpaths by the river. Very enjoyable it was too although my walking shoes were definitely not waterproof and my feet got soaked … as did the rest of me when we didn’t quite make it back to the boat before the advancing weather arrived. Still we had a good laugh about getting so wet while we tried to find anywhere on the boat that we could hang things to dry.

The rest of the day was spent on board just quietly watching all the boats passing by. Despite being moored right by the cafe we didn’t make it in there. If the weather had been better we might have done. But it was an afternoon of heavy showers and we didn’t fancy getting a second set of clothes wet!

Another quiet evening then. Hubby was watching the England match and I was listening to some podcasts. Then it was time to turn in for the night.

IMG_2382.thumb.JPG.c8c0d7ed2c93c063cee6f2649534ecb7.JPG

IMG_2386.thumb.JPG.8742b71d8e9a6d5e72df9e87685f8244.JPG

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.2f1fdb04cebb2fac8c2ef20aaa120b43.JPG

P1040846.thumb.JPG.9b74c0fa1949098e07a8b9872b843031.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jean, thanks for the interesting write up. I think I would be very challenged by the panels either side of that forward door. I can remember moaning at Graham about the equivalent glass panels on the Fair Regents getting misted up. Putting solid panels there seems bonkers.

Mattresses are such a personal thing. I doubt that boatyards/hotels can please everyone. I’m a ‘firm mattress’ person (having had some back trouble with pulled ligaments when I was younger). We converted to a memory foam mattress at home some years back and if we are away (for instance in Graham’s Dad’s house) and sleeping on a sprung mattress, that now makes me feel a bit sea sick whenever Graham changes position. But regardless of the mattress and pillow arrangements, as I get older I’m finding that sleeping in an unfamiliar bed is a bit challenging, at least for the first few days. 

Shame you had so much rain the first day. Hope the weather improved for you. 

• Thanks 1

Overnight Tuesday / Wednesday

So here’s a little bit extra given the frustration and antics that occurred in the early hours of the morning. During the afternoon we had heard a knocking noise but thought nothing much of it. We just presumed that once the river quietened down, and the water became calm, the boat would be still and whatever was making the noise would stop moving around or banging. Wrong!

By 1am we were both awake with a very irritating banging noise. Much as we tried to settle down, put personal radios on and muffle the sound, it was one of those once-heard-unable-to-be-unheard noises. Eventually I got up to have a look around the boat and see if I could figure out where it was coming from. Back door was secure, toilet and shower doors were shut tight and the noise seemed to be coming from further forward than those. Into the front seating area, I clambered around checking that the sliding roof wasn’t rattling. Nope. All fine. But now the noise seemed to be further astern. So … at around 2am there I was with the side window open trying to figure out what it was. 

It was a lovely night, chilly, but beautiful. I could have sat there a while just enjoying the view and the peace and quiet … apart from what I had now decided was a fender banging on the side of the boat. And it was right in the middle!

I reported back to hubby and he wanted to go outside and take a look, pull the fender up. Now even with a buoyancy aid there was no way I wanted him to do that. Far too dangerous as this was on the side of the boat by the river not the bank. One slip and he would be in … didn’t bear thinking about in the dark of the night at Acle …

Instead there he was now with the bedroom side window open, hanging out with the broom trying to hook the offending fender up at about 2.30 in the morning. Oh dear … we laughed about it even at the time as it was so ridiculous. But we weren’t going to sleep unless we could sort it out. And sort it out we did! Success! The head came off the broom and we nearly lost that over the side but hubby got the fender up onto the freeboard and … silence. I’m sure we’ve all had that moment when some irritating noise finally stops. 

Back to bed … back to sleep …

• Like 6

I remember i was moored at Yarmouth Yacht Station one night, and was awoken by the slap of the boat swinging into the quayside every so often. It wasn't particularly windy, but the tide was ebbing out quite fast. I wondered if I should go outside to see if I could adjust the ropes somehow to stop it, but I suddenly remembered (in the haze of a disturbed sleep), that just repositioning the rudder/steering wheel can sometimes change the attitude of the boat. I wound it the opposite direction to what it was, and as if by magic, the swinging stopped and the boat laid comfortably away from the quayside. I can't tell you how smug I felt (well before I fell back to sleep that is). 

• Thanks 1

Curious that a fender on the river side of the boat could be noisy like that. I must admit I wouldn't have had the patience to try and lift it from the inside, I'd have been straight outside with my life jacket on, rightly or wrongly.

David, I would never have thought altering the rudder position would have any effect whilst the boat was stationary. I might give that a try one day, just out of curiosity.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday 13th October

So what can I tell you about Wednesday. Just one week ago as I write this, feels like a lifetime away.

Well it was a beautiful morning. I love waking up on the river, being able to poke my head out of the window and snap a few photos. Breakfast, dressed and ready for the day, we were away by about 8.30ish. We needed to get water so took advantage of the water point down by the old Horizon yard. A nifty five point turn at the end saw me heading back out onto the Bure and back up towards ... well towards where? Now that was the question.

Much as I love the Thurne we had been to Potter Heigham recently and didn't need to see the bridge today. I love Womack Water but ... we didn't need anything there and that's somewhere we have been for walks a few times since moving here. I also love Fleet Dyke but ... you're probably picking up the theme here ... we decided on a straight run down the Bure to Salhouse Broad. Not always my favourite mooring because I don't like being pursued by the ducks running round the boat as soon as one moors up. However being slightly out of season this wasn't going to be a problem as it wasn't warm enough to put the roof back.

It was a lovely cruise and we arrived somewhere around 11.30 I think. We had booked a table online for lunch at the Fur and Feathers. So it was a nice walk up from the moorings and a lovely meal at the pub. Although that one was a little strange because we have driven there from home for a meal a while ago. And had a chuckle about how far it is up from the moorings to the car park and on up the hill to the pub. Now here we were making that walk again, and reminiscing about the first time we did it on a very hot day.

Well it was back to the boat for the rest of the day. Nothing really to report. A number of boats had come in while we were gone. But we had grabbed what was effectively an end mooring just to the right as you arrive at the Broad from the footpath. And being at a slight angle our view was preserved.

Oh yes ... the fender started to make the same noise as before and was promptly lifted onto the freeboard just before it got dark!! The best night's sleep of the week followed!

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

• Like 7