So Much For The Haven Bridge.

Vaughan

The EDP has just announced that the Haven Bridge will not now open again until March 2022, by reason of delays in the works, the contractor going bust, shortage of material supplies, etc., etc., etc.

This is a very serious and un-acceptable blockage of a maritime navigation.  Norfolk C.C. don't seem concerned as there will be no interruption to road traffic or pedestrians.

So what are the BA doing about it?

37 minutes ago, grendel said:

if you include @BroadsAuthority they will get a notification

Thanks, but I don't know how to that, nor do I know how to make a link here, from an EDP article, although I have sometimes asked if anyone can tell me?

I know how to strip down and rebuild a Perkins diesel but I don't know how to drive a computer!    :default_pcwhack:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, oldgregg said:

Hi Vaughan

If you simply type '@' in your post and start typing the person's username then you'll see a list of users come up.

Once you've done that, the user will be notified that you have mentioned them.

Just like this @Vaughan ... You will get a notification now because of this message ...

7 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Now, how do I rebuild that engine. 

There are all sorts of humorous answers but one thing I would say is : never do any serious mechanical work without the workshop manual on the bench beside you.  Never rely on your memory.

As for right clicking, that may be my problem.  I can't do that on an Apple Mac Mini!   :default_pcwhack:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

There are all sorts of humorous answers but one thing I would say is : never do any serious mechanical work without the workshop manual on the bench beside you.  Never rely on your memory.

As for right clicking, that may be my problem.  I can't do that on an Apple Mac Mini!   :default_pcwhack:

Or,  as I do - take a photo with my mobile phone before I dismantle it (as well as having the manual to hand!) :default_biggrin:

Chris

It's all very well, this "Light-hearted shilly shallying" - for those who can remember "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in" - but the thread has already shot right off the topic, in possibly a record time!

The implications of this closure are very serious indeed and we should be most concerned.  From now until March 2022 is 6 months.  Half a year, of total closure to a Maritime navigation from the sea to the Broads.

If you blow up the size of my avatar, it says Great Yarmouth Port and Haven Commissioners, for a vessel registered on the Yare.  Not the same thing as the Rivers Bure and Waveney Commissioners.  Even the Broads Authority when first introduced, were not responsible for the Yare, since it is a maritime navigation to the port of Norwich.

Recently we have seen that the Carrow Bridge in Norwich will almost certainly never open again and the Trowse rail bridge is scheduled to be re-built by a permanently fixed structure.  We have no idea whether Haven bridge will actually open again in March 2022 - this is just an estimate which will undoubtedly run well over time and budget and may well never happen, for all we know now.

I have been the "harbinger of doom" on this forum for a few years now, by warning us that if we allow this to slip though our fingers, then surely the next thing to close will be Reedham Swing bridge.  I would think Network Rail would be delighted to be rid of it!

We simply cannot sit back and allow these ancient and vital rights of navigation to "fall into dis-use". 

I call on the Broads Authority to do their duty to the maintenance of navigation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I use a Mac and have a Mac Mini at work... We just use a 'Windows' mouse so that it's easier to right-click.

Never could get on with those pesky Apple mice.

• Like 1

Agree with what you say Vaughan, the danger here is that seeing as Haven bridge has now been out of action for so long, facing another five months but in reality probably longer, I can see them taking the attitude of leaving it fixed with the attitude of we have managed quite nicely for all this time without it being operational and stating that the Brundall navy or any other large visiting craft can use Mutford Lock as a way in / out to sea.  I would not be surprised one jot if this were to happen.   You have my support in calling for the Ba to do something about it, but will they listen?   On past record when the swinging rail bridges have been out of action for any length of time, I can't seem to remember them banging the drum much if at all

Griff

• Like 3

Any alternative passage through Mutford lock, for many, is dependent on both Somerleyton bridge opening and the ability to get under the Oulton Broad rail bridge which is also now pretty much unable to open at all.

Just to add, the present condition of Mutford Lock itself is not that special. It is currently serviceable though.

• Like 3

Take it from me, the term “rights” is a flexible thing with a government with the size of this majority. 
not being political but only yesterday this government had its emergency powers nodded through for another 6 months. 
As parliament is sovereign, any rights can really be changed if there is a will. 
Just a thought 

• Confused 1

On 19/10/2021 at 18:56, Vaughan said:

It's all very well, this "Light-hearted shilly shallying" - for those who can remember "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in" - but the thread has already shot right off the topic, in possibly a record time!

The implications of this closure are very serious indeed and we should be most concerned.  From now until March 2022 is 6 months.  Half a year, of total closure to a Maritime navigation from the sea to the Broads.

If you blow up the size of my avatar, it says Great Yarmouth Port and Haven Commissioners, for a vessel registered on the Yare.  Not the same thing as the Rivers Bure and Waveney Commissioners.  Even the Broads Authority when first introduced, were not responsible for the Yare, since it is a maritime navigation to the port of Norwich.

Recently we have seen that the Carrow Bridge in Norwich will almost certainly never open again and the Trowse rail bridge is scheduled to be re-built by a permanently fixed structure.  We have no idea whether Haven bridge will actually open again in March 2022 - this is just an estimate which will undoubtedly run well over time and budget and may well never happen, for all we know now.

I have been the "harbinger of doom" on this forum for a few years now, by warning us that if we allow this to slip though our fingers, then surely the next thing to close will be Reedham Swing bridge.  I would think Network Rail would be delighted to be rid of it!

We simply cannot sit back and allow these ancient and vital rights of navigation to "fall into dis-use". 

I call on the Broads Authority to do their duty to the maintenance of navigation.

Major work on Reedham Swing bridge now re-scheduled to start "Late Autumn 2022" 

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/anglia/improving-the-railway-in-anglia/swing-bridge-renewals/

• Like 1

Hi @Vaughan

Apologies for delayed reply.

We weren't informed of these delays, our Director of Operations will be discussing the matter tomorrow with the Director of Highways at NCC.

Unfortunately it sounds like a number of legitimate issues have combined to stop the works from being completed within the initial planned timescale.

Tom

• Thanks 2

On 20/10/2021 at 14:09, BroadAmbition said:

Agree with what you say Vaughan, the danger here is that seeing as Haven bridge has now been out of action for so long, facing another five months but in reality probably longer, I can see them taking the attitude of leaving it fixed with the attitude of we have managed quite nicely for all this time without it being operational and stating that the Brundall navy or any other large visiting craft can use Mutford Lock as a way in / out to sea.  I would not be surprised one jot if this were to happen.   You have my support in calling for the Ba to do something about it, but will they listen?   On past record when the swinging rail bridges have been out of action for any length of time, I can't seem to remember them banging the drum much if at all

Griff

I’m not sure Goodchild Marine will be happy about it remaining shut, as the attached photo is of one of there boats having to transit Mutford lock this summer.

7693C6CB-B6F9-438C-B141-6F6ACF2DD347.thumb.jpeg.ec8871d8be6f9913d1176e6ddf0b8a3d.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tobster said:

’m not sure Goodchild Marine will be happy about it remaining shut, as the attached photo is of one of there boats having to transit Mutford lock this summer.

Just "clocked" your avatar.

Newson boats of Oulton Broad.  A well known name among the boatyards, and well remembered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadsAuthority said:

We weren't informed of these delays, our Director of Operations will be discussing the matter tomorrow with the Director of Highways at NCC.

Thank you for your reply Tom and it is good to hear that the Authority are "on the case".