Lost Pub

SimonSherbot

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

1032323247_anchorpub.thumb.jpeg.8f8d7dc4371dddf1a504ead3de16226c.jpeg

Here is the Anchor, from Blakes catalogue of 1971.

2126084667_horningferry.thumb.jpeg.9fb081735952f25858f363bf8f8f49d5.jpeg

And Horning Ferry, from 1968, taken in the side garden.

542860912_reedhamferry.thumb.jpeg.0065483465e0f291ce132b14f6a599d5.jpeg

And while we're at it, there's this one. Can you name the pub?

Both of these photographs are promising. As for naming the pub in the third photograph, since we were only 16, we counted ourselves lucky to get served, so we didn’t push it by drinking inside, although I appreciate that you are not putting this forward as a suggestion

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

There was a 4th pub in Horning the Half Moon, but long gone by 1972.

"looking from the river  garden to the right" sounds very like the Ferry .

image.png.960675623aedba8ff1c3d71d84abeff9.png

This site might help.

https://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/norfolkh/horning/hornhm.htm

This fits the bill as far as the photo shows. Just needs a good sized garden on the side.

32 minutes ago, SimonSherbot said:

This fits the bill as far as the photo shows. Just needs a good sized garden on the side.

The problem with the Ferry in Horning is that it is at the end of a short lane, nothing really behind it apart from boatyards now and no old cottages just holiday chalets?

The next question is it another pub such as say the Waveney at Burgh St Peter?

1 hour ago, grendel said:

you say you went pretty much everywhere, did you cross Breydon to the south side?

Yes we did. We may have gone further but we certainly made it to Reedham. I am really not sure if we went down the Waveney. We had a wooden sailing boat that had a dodgy engine that kept cutting out and crucially it did so as we emerged from the Bure to go up the Yare. The tide was going out and we were being taken towards the sea. We didn’t have the sail up but the mast was in the upright position with us going fast towards the bridge. Thankfully there were a couple of barges moored on the north side, so I threw the anchor into one of them, which held. This was one of many mishaps we had.

2 hours ago, LizG said:

The problem with the Ferry in Horning is that it is at the end of a short lane, nothing really behind it apart from boatyards now and no old cottages just holiday chalets?

The next question is it another pub such as say the Waveney at Burgh St Peter?

Thank you Liz, I have a weird long term memory, clearly remembering many things from the age of just turned 3. These memories are very much dependent on whether it was something out of the ordinary or special. I remember so much about particular moments from this early Broads holiday and I think there were a row of small terraced houses running alongside the garden and the pub on the other side of the road and not chalets. The Waveney doesn’t look like my minds eye memory but all suggestions are gratefully received. Simon

A row of terraced houses near the pub sounds like the Dukes Head at Somerleyton but it is not near the river.

I am surprised no-one got the pub in the third photo as the layout in the bar is still the same today.  Where is Norfolk Nog when we need him?

It is Reedham Ferry, but all the wonderful artifacts and memorabilia all over the walls and ceiling are mostly gone now. They even had an Enfield .303 rifle hanging off a beam, there were all sorts of marshmens' tools and eel tynes and on the wall in the lounge was a full set of boatbuilder's hand moulding planes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lulu said:

Ferry Inn at Stokesby? Terrace houses one one side, garden to the right although no houses on the other side. Terrible photo but may ring a bell?

D7FB95FA-0779-43E7-85FC-16C35BF6D61A.jpeg

Thank you Lulu. From the picture and satellite imaging it looks like it has been extended to the side and front. The original white building fits the bill but as you say it doesn’t have a narrow road with cottages behind it. So much can change though in 50 years. Otherwise it is a good fit and certainly on the shortlist. Simon

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

A row of terraced houses near the pub sounds like the Dukes Head at Somerleyton but it is not near the river.

I am surprised no-one got the pub in the third photo as the layout in the bar is still the same today.  Where is Norfolk Nog when we need him?

It is Reedham Ferry, but all the wonderful artifacts and memorabilia all over the walls and ceiling are mostly gone now. They even had an Enfield .303 rifle hanging off a beam, there were all sorts of marshmens' tools and eel tynes and on the wall in the lounge was a full set of boatbuilder's hand moulding planes.

Thank you Vaughan, the Dukes Head has elements of my description but I don’t think it is it, although it will be added to the list. Simon

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Unless you are sure it was a river running past the front, and not a dyke, it occurs too me that the Pleasure Boat has a row of terraced cottages close, and the garden is to the right when looking from the dyke. Did yoy get under Potter Heigham bridge and go to Hickling? 

Thank you Maurice? The original main building is the most (of all I have seen) like the pub I remember. I take it that the large extension is a later than 1972 addition. I am not seeing cottages behind running parallel with the garden and pub though. Yes we did go under Potter Heigham bridge, which was the scene of one of our many mishaps. We obviously needed to lower the mast and this was our first attempt at doing so. From what I remember it needed to be lowered with a winch and a pin needed to be removed. My chum was in the cockpit and I was In charge of removing the pin. Confusion reigned and I removed the pin before the tension was engaged. The mast plummeted and snapped the wooden mast support in two and then split the cockpit roof. My white faced chum’s head was 2 inches from the mast when it came to rest with his right shoulder looking as though it was the new support.

I am now clutching at straws, so I have scowered Google Maps and found a satellite image that almost exactly matches my description. There are three problems with this though. One - it isn’t a pub, two - I cannot see it listed as a lost pub and three - due to the railway bridge, the Google camera van could not get a street view of Riverside at Reedham beyond The Ship.

Does anyone remember there being a pub on the eastern side of the railway bridge just as the road turns left then right?

21 hours ago, SimonSherbot said:

I am now clutching at straws, so I have scowered Google Maps and found a satellite image that almost exactly matches my description. There are three problems with this though. One - it isn’t a pub, two - I cannot see it listed as a lost pub and three - due to the railway bridge, the Google camera van could not get a street view of Riverside at Reedham beyond The Ship.

Does anyone remember there being a pub on the eastern side of the railway bridge just as the road turns left then right?

Try Reedham & District Local History & Archaeology Group on Facebook - a mine of information!

• Thanks 1