Large (dutch Barge?) On Broads

750XL

25 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Well, it's possible that he might have arranged a winter mooring somewhere on the Ant. A lot of canal based boaters do that: continuously cruise spring, summer and autumn and then hunker down on electric in a yard mooring for winter.

There is a 12'6" width limit on the whole of the Ant and 14'0" on the Bure.

Fred

42 minutes ago, marshman said:

Fred - there are still the exceptions stated similar, to those applying to length - these are quite specific! He may well have applied  for permission and be travelling under that basis!

I appreciate that although there is what appears to be a question of interpretation, given that  a starting and finishing point is required in the 7 days notice and the restriction specifically  mentions pleasure craft I wouldn't think the exemption applies to a leisurely cruise that appears to be the case here.

Fred

• Like 2

One way of finding out,  get into conversation with the Skipper.    Put us all out of misery then.     I am sure there is an explanation or a reason or may be just plain did not realise that certain boats should not be up The Ant.    All in all it has at least given us all something to talk about.  Never a dull moment.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 08:33, CeePee1952 said:

Bet that's a bit of a tight squeeze under Ludham bridge!!? (If in fact it can get under there!).

Chris

Well, that answered my question!  Just watched "Hewland" pass through Ludham bridge with no problem! (on that well known you tube channel!).

Chris

Ha!! read page one missed page 2 and it had been said, but here was what I was going to say anyway..

The maximum permitted width on the Ant  (Or Chet ) is 12 ft 6 inches, as can be seen by this quote from the regs..

SCHEDULE Size Restrictions Part 1 (Beam Restrictions)

(a) Vessels having a beam of 3.8 metres (12ft 6ins) or less. No restriction.

(b) Vessels having a beam exceeding 3.8 metres (12ft 6ins).

River Wensum: Upstream of Foundry Bridge

River Yare: Upstream of Trowse Eye Bird’s Dyke and Surlingham Fleet Dyke Rockland Boat Dyke, Fleet Dyke and Short Dyke Langley Dyke Hardley Dyke

River Chet: The entire waterway

River Waveney: Geldeston Boat Dyke

River Bure:Upstream of “The Rising Sun”, Coltishall Upton Dyke Hermitage Dyke, Acle

River Ant: The entire waterway and its navigable branches including Barton Broad

River Thurne: Upstream of Dungeon Corner Catfield Dyke and its branches Waxham Cut Meadow Dyke Candle Dyke Womack Dyke and Womack Water

2 hours ago, Bernard said:

I met this on the Ant, had no trouble passing on one of the narrower sections, was lovely to see, seemed to be making good headway so the only people I can see it annoying are those that the speed limits don't seem to apply to.

And the rag ‘n sticks that need more room anyway…….

Tacking up or down the Ant in a rag 'n stick is a bit challenging. We once got well and truly stuck in a tree a bend or two above How Hill and had to be towed off. Those were the days before Hunter's Yard installed Torqeedos on some of their boats. 

:default_sad: