Changeover Switch

:-D Ok I need help again :-D My Freeman runs with two battery's and a changeover relay, and the isolator switch is on the negative side, I've been advised to change it to the positive side, so I thought that if I'm going to have to change it all around, I may as well fit a Perko changeover switch and do away with the relay, now heres where I need help, do any of you know where I can get a wiring diagram for the set up, I did one twenty years ago but I've forgotten how to do it now, I know it was quite easy, but I need to know what cable goes to what and where,,

cheers Folks,,, Frank

:-D cheers Dick! most helpful and it has jogged the old memory a bit, I'll have a look on a boat with the two battery set-up first just to make sure, last time it was quite easy as I went from one battery to two, this time I have two battery's running through a relay, so I just need to know what to disconnect now, :-D

Hi Frank,

Pleased that it helped a bit. Another way to go of course would be to fit another alternator, one for each battery or banks of. Another, longer belt or double pulley would be required of course.

Rgs. Dick

Do you propose to use an Off, 1, 2, both switch Frank? if that is the case thewiring is very simple, battery 1 cable goes to battery one terminal, battery 2 cable to battery 2 terminal and the main feed comes off the final terminal. Always a good idea to wire the bilge pump and any vital kit (VHF etc) direct to a battery though.

Sorry, forgot to mention, unless you get a “constant contact†switch then NEVER (emergency electrical short fire or risk of fire excepted) operate it with the engine running as this can damage the alternator.

Thanks Antares and Dick, I just re-ordered the changeover switch because I got the normal one and not the Alternator Field Disconnect one, then I came on here and read your post, the actual wiring of the switch is no problem, what I can't remember is where the main live feed goes to, the live at the moment goes to the soleniod, but if memory serves me right on my other boat it went straight to the alternator, so I'm stuck until I see one set up,,, cheers