Waveny River Centre

41 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I hate change - is it just me.:default_crying1animated:

Heck no!

I hope WRC stays more or less the same but somehow I doubt it, it was great this summer to be able to pull in and moor up, have a shower for £1 each and a couple of beers in the pub on the way past, so much better than using the boat shower and not having the damp in the boat.

Smallish and local always beats nationwide chain to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oddfellow said:

A loss of Visitor moorings there will be bad news for river users. Given the facilities at the site and it's riverside location (rather than down a dyke) I would hope that the new owners see the usefulness of it to the boating holiday and private owners trade. 

Yeah. I have always headed for WRC when coming down from the North and will miss it if it goes to private.

Being able to get a decent mooring, shore power, a cooked meal and a few beers (if you wanted) and having decent shower / toilet facilities as well as other amenities on site such as the pool was pretty much the WRC's unique selling point.

The last couple of seasons they have seemed quite pricey compared to Beccles and OBYS but back in the days of £10 overnight the place was always rammed and the pub busy. £15 seems more reasonable given the facilities provided.

I think we paid £20 this year, versus £13.50 with shore power on the pontoon at OBYS. The shower block at WRC is much nicer, though, and is a chargeable extra at OBYS.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I don't think that Tingdene is in the business of running visitor moorings. I may be wrong, but I'd not be surprised if the current visitor basin becomes private. 

There's no mention of Visitor moorings on the website. The old WRC website appears to have gone.

https://www.tingdenelifestyleparks.co.uk/waveney-river-centre

I was thinking along the same lines. Mmm, OBYS is going to be super busy then because former WRC overnighters will head there instead.

• Like 2

We’re currently berthed at WRC and am sorry to see it change hands. I sincerely hope the staff will be looked after, especially those who are living aboard as well as the other live aboards. I personally like the peace of mind knowing people are there 24/7 to keep an eye on things. 

Something I noted on some Tingdene T&Cs for their other marinas is that if they see a boat hooked up to power unattended they will disconnect it. Not great if you’re running a cabin dehumidifier and engine bay heater over winter not to mention the likelihood of flat batteries.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, orion1210 said:

We’re currently berthed at WRC and am sorry to see it change hands. I sincerely hope the staff will be looked after, especially those who are living aboard as well as the other live aboards. I personally like the peace of mind knowing people are there 24/7 to keep an eye on things. 

Something I noted on some Tingdene T&Cs for their other marinas is that if they see a boat hooked up to power unattended they will disconnect it. Not great if you’re running a cabin dehumidifier and engine bay heater over winter not to mention the likelihood of flat batteries.  

In 12 years of being moored at Brundall we have never had our shore power disconnected, Phoning the Marina they will pop down to the boat and put extra credit on the meter if requested.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, orion1210 said:

Unplugging an unattended boat just seems absurd. Of course it needs power to keep everything maintained.

• Like 1

Surely if the electricity is free,! part of the mooring fee as was the case where i moor, they wouldn't want heaters etc running 24/7 And as any business they will run it to maximize the return on their investment, if this means no visitors mooring so be it. As with any business they will charge what the market will bear. I would guess that all year premiant moorings pay better than summer visitor overnight moorings. John 

1 hour ago, annv said:

As with any business they will charge what the market will bear. I would guess that all year premiant moorings pay better than summer visitor overnight moorings. John 

Ah, yes. But if you have a pub and other facilities on site and need to keep those profitable then footfall is important.

I suspect a regular flow of families on holiday will spend a lot more on-site than a couple who visit their boat perhaps half a dozen times a year.

• Like 1