New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

We saw it when we were in PH this morning. We often do that thing of wandering past even though we’re not looking. There weren’t many boats for sale and anything that looked well presented was marked sold. 

39 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We saw it when we were in PH this morning. We often do that thing of wandering past even though we’re not looking. There weren’t many boats for sale and anything that looked well presented was marked sold. 

They’ve had another 2 berth Connoisseur for sale recently, which is now marked Sale Agreed on their website.  Lot of boat for the money.

https://www.watersidemarinesales.co.uk/boat/connoisseur-c37-swallowtail-star/

Confusingly, one was called Swallowtail and the other Swallowtail Star, both ex Le Boat, I think.

Hmm . . . 

A typical Porter and Haylett build with dark stained wood trim and a lot of use of contra - moulding, for seats, steps, toilet bulkheads, etc.  The aft cabin and galley are non standard layouts but still quite obviously done by Porter and Haylett.  I can't believe these boats would be in such good condition in and out if they had not been built as private boats.  Either that or gutted and fitted out again from scratch.  P&H were well known for doing that on their Continentale class.

By the way, that hydraulic drive is a lot older than the engine! 

• Like 1

Hi,

Nice to see a traditional design brought back into service. She is one of 4 built by Porter and Haylett in 1993 and 1994, as far as I am aware the last on the original 70's mould. I don't know however whether they were new moulds or if they completely rebuilt earlier 70's or 80's moulds. They were certainly re-registered and Soaring light is the newest 1994 reg. It does amuse me that according to the blurb she needs extreme low tide to get under Beccles. I believe her actual air draft is around 6ft 8.

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't Clive bring a few back from France, madiera and something horizonp, don't think they let very well. Obviously not this spec or layout but they always seemed to be avaliable to hire. I'm surprised just how well the small CC dual steer boats do in the hire fleets, the brinks jazz, clarion etcp personally for me  silverline one's look absolutely cracking after have a complete re paint and not just the Hull. Like I said not my cuppa but she does look good value for money. 

Andy,

Waterside marine is part of Herbert woods so an internal sale. Richardsons had 20 odd Connoisseurs 10 37ft, 5 42 ft, 4 36 ft dual steers and 1 29ft dual steer. All the older centre cockpits have been sold although they subsequently bought a newer ex private C45. I quite like the centre steers particularly as they are bridge friendly and the newer one's at Woods seem to let well . The side access isn't ideal however 

Neil

• Like 1

I have always liked the Connoisseurs both the 37 and their larger stablemate , although not a lover of the smaller duel helm .

Yes , lack of stern access is a pity but as these were predominantly on other waterways where side on mooring is the norm , understandable.

That said the two berth 37ft offering seems to be an unusual set up , I’m not a lover of the galley being in the bow , which by its design lends itself to twin v berth so perfectly it seems placing the galley there just wastes the space .

Having now got used to having a separate shower as opposed to a wet room I can certainly see the benefits there , but at 37ft there doesn’t seem to be “plenty of space” considering it is only two berth .

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I have always liked the Connoisseurs both the 37 and their larger stablemate , although not a lover of the smaller duel helm .

Yes , lack of stern access is a pity but as these were predominantly on other waterways where side on mooring is the norm , understandable.

That said the two berth 37ft offering seems to be an unusual set up , I’m not a lover of the galley being in the bow , which by its design lends itself to twin v berth so perfectly it seems placing the galley there just wastes the space .

Having now got used to having a separate shower as opposed to a wet room I can certainly see the benefits there , but at 37ft there doesn’t seem to be “plenty of space” considering it is only two berth .

We’ve holidayed on most Broads based derivatives of the old and later Connoisseur cruisers in the past, from the original 29ft 2 berth to the C45, with the exception of the flybridge types.  In my opinion, they remain the most spacious, well thought craft that I’ve been on.  Roomy cabins, well appointed galleys, spacious heads, low airdraft and quiet underway (when inside).  It’s a shame that no modern design comes close to the practicality offered by these cruisers imho.  I’d be very happy to own one of the later 40ft models, but frankly they’ve now seen better days and one would need too much work to bring it into the kind of condition that I’d want without spending a small fortune to do it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

We’ve holidayed on most Broads based derivatives of the old and later Connoisseur cruisers in the past, from the original 29ft 2 berth to the C45, with the exception of the flybridge types.  In my opinion, they remain the most spacious, well thought craft that I’ve been on.  Roomy cabins, well appointed galleys, spacious heads, low airdraft and quiet underway (when inside).  It’s a shame that no modern design comes close to the practicality offered by these cruisers imho.  I’d be very happy to own one of the later 40ft models, but frankly they’ve now seen better days and one would need too much work to bring it into the kind of condition that I’d want without spending a small fortune to do it.

And I believe that's why they remain so popular with hirer's. You always see plenty of them out on hire. I can't remember the name of the one richardsons have but have been aboard. Absolutely cracking boat which appears to be fully booked most seasons. 

26 minutes ago, andyg said:

And I believe that's why they remain so popular with hirer's. You always see plenty of them out on hire. I can't remember the name of the one richardsons have but have been aboard. Absolutely cracking boat which appears to be fully booked most seasons. 

https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/dominica/

Is this the one?

15 hours ago, Captain said:

She is one of 4 built by Porter and Haylett in 1993 and 1994, as far as I am aware the last on the original 70's mould.

I didn't realise it was built as late as that. That was when the new C40s and C45s were new so I guess it made sense to do something different with the outgoing model.

For me, having hired a 4 berth version, there are two drawbacks to the layout. The side door is annoying (mainly because it's out of use when the roof is back) and the cabin is under-sized for a 37 foot boat.

• Like 1

Back in the early 90s when they introduced the C40 and C45 they never built a new 2 berth so I guess this was a cheaper way of doing it by just revamping the old model to suit, I suppose Barnes are doing this with the old Alpha and Aquafibre moulds. Most of the investment was going into the new flybridge range (FB) for Europe, including a 2 berth based presumably on the original 29ft hull and now seen on the Broads as Brinks Jazz, Silver Haze/Mist and Clarion, being based under Wroxham Bridge meant the Fb range couldn't be introduced to the Broads and the larger Fbs were over 13ft wide therefore wouldn't be allowed after 1993 due to the Ba size regs

Neil 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I didn't realise it was built as late as that. That was when the new C40s and C45s were new so I guess it made sense to do something different with the outgoing model.

For me, having hired a 4 berth version, there are two drawbacks to the layout. The side door is annoying (mainly because it's out of use when the roof is back) and the cabin is under-sized for a 37 foot boat.

The side door could be a slight disadvantage, but it did facilitate access out from all cabins without having to go through the aft cabin.  One other feature that we appreciated on the 37’, 42’ and later 40’ and 45’ models were the steps from the saloon on the starboard side and bench, for want of a better expression, offering a raised seat for a couple of people by the steps.  I’ve borrowed an old photo below to illustrate, for those not familiar with the design.

31B43B85-F1D1-42AC-BFA1-D1D00C745A69.jpeg

• Like 1