New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

6 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Gleaming Light looks very nice - any idea what boat it is ?

Sorry for the late reply. I had to go and watch a 1/4 of take that at the 02 tonight. Bit like watching paint dry. Just a tad more expensive who in gods name came up with them parking charges. Jeez...its a brooms sedan a very nice boat indeed 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyg said:

No chance of hiring them in 22 there booked.I 😢 they really look good and have been fitted out very well. Hopefully the rumours of a third boat are true. It would definitely let well. We will see. 

There is a week available in March for about £1300, and it doubles for a week available in August.

I could justify buying one on the basis of not needing to hire, if I use it every week for the next 3 years ...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

All inclusive prices are what it says on the tin. No extras. It’s been like that at Ferry Marina for a long while. I guess they add it all up including anything other yards would charge separately. The biggest difference is not having to get your fuel usage worked out. 

There was quite a heated debate on NBD fb page when announced they were going AI with there tariffs. Quite a number of loyal customer's weren't very happy. Apparently they worked the fuel cost out on a boats previous years usage, so an average. That's fine if you do a lot of hours cruising, but like one regular customer pointed out he only ever travelled up and down the river ant, same boat every year. Under the AI tariff his holiday had increased by a 140 quid. Personally I like the idea of no mucking about when returning but guess fuel is always going to be a sore point. Its got to be easier operationally for the yard as they can get everyone off and away much quicker with a lot less admin for the office to deal with on turnaround morning. Thoses of us that have returned a boat to richo know that it can be a bit of a bind if there very busy. Plus no need to have all that cash sitting about, never a good thing nowadays. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, andyg said:

no need to have all that cash sitting about

My last 3 refunds were all by bank transfer or card credit, not cash (Richo, Broom, Barnes).  Regarding all inclusive rates, I don't believe I would benefit in any way, but the yards would.  That's just me, but I was trained as an accountant ......

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NotDeadYet said:

My last 3 refunds were all by bank transfer or card credit, not cash (Richo, Broom, Barnes).  Regarding all inclusive rates, I don't believe I would benefit in any way, but the yards would.  That's just me, but I was trained as an accountant ......

Our fuel refund from Herbert Woods last Sep was by bank transfer as well and fuel used was calculated after we had left so there was no hanging around. We had a tidy sum refunded as well (we didn’t do the southern Broads as tides weren’t right) but cruised all the northern part except for past Wroxham bridge and past Potter heigham bridge!

Chris

50 minutes ago, NotDeadYet said:

Regarding all inclusive rates, I don't believe I would benefit in any way, but the yards would. . . . . . . . . .  

Agreed!!  I can’t believe that all inclusive rates would be calculated to favour the hirer.  The only possible way you could benefit is by cruising the whole network.  If hiring from Horning or Wroxham and staying north, the only winner would be the yard, especially as cruising with favourable tides has less effect on fuel consumption as on the southern rivers.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Wussername said:

The dip stick. It measured how much fuel you had left. Those who had a GCE in O Level maths calculated how much fuel you had used. That is what you paid for. In the day.

I thought that it worked quite well. 

Andrew

Still got the one that came with the boat and some say there is one behind the wheel.:default_coat:

Fred

• Haha 2

Not sure if they count as new but there definitely new to the broads cruiser hire fleets. I see norfolk boat hire of Horning are planning on adding a couple of the sheerline, picnic type boats for overnight hire. I genuinely believe there is a strong market for this type of compact cruiser. Hopefully they will do well for them, herbert woods have proved if you offer a good product in this class of boat it will let well. 

• Like 1

Hi Simon, I found the information on there fb page, apparently from this spring they will have two of this type boat that will be available for overnight stays. Just like bitten from whispering reeds at Hickling. I believe LBB had one not so long back as well. Nice little boats if fitted out well. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andyg said:

I found the information on there fb page

Ah, the growing trend to only update customers on facebook and let your web page get out of date. I've only just dipped my foot into facebook and given my experience with NBN would say there is clearly much more activity on the main web pages of the forum rather than facebook. If that is typical across the whole base of Broads users, then any company only updating its facebook page is reaching out to a partial/limited audience. Maybe that's enough for a business and maybe it reaches out to a new customer base, but I can't help thinking it leaves a large traditional base of customers feeling left in the dark.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RS2021 said:

Ah, the growing trend to only update customers on facebook and let your web page get out of date. I've only just dipped my foot into facebook and given my experience with NBN would say there is clearly much more activity on the main web pages of the forum rather than facebook. If that is typical across the whole base of Broads users, then any company only updating its facebook page is reaching out to a partial/limited audience. Maybe that's enough for a business and maybe it reaches out to a new customer base, but I can't help thinking it leaves a large traditional base of customers feeling left in the dark.

Totally agree. I don’t use Facebook or intend to and get so frustrated when it’s referred to for info all the time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RS2021 said:

Ah, the growing trend to only update customers on facebook and let your web page get out of date.

Yes, it's partly down to the business owners being able to update their Facebook pages themselves, rather than have to employ and therefore pay someone, to change their website around. 

• Like 2

I think all the big yards now have someone tasked with keeping there social media pages upto date etc, sign of the times I'm afraid. I remember a few years back I spotted a pricing issue on Richardson's website, msg Clive he saw it was wrong, took 24hrs to rectify it. Guess they have a company to look after there websites. Facebook can be put right pretty much there and then... 

Like it or loathe it FB is a powerful all encompassing tool nowadays.

I get no end of my clients stating that I should be having an official 'GriffTile' FB page for advertising and posting up photo's of completed jobs.  I have resisted in doing so as I just know if I ever commenced with it,  it would need regular updates etc and I can do without it.  Besides I have a GriffTile Web page (That is out of date and archaic) but then 90% of my bookings come from recommends and am currently booked up six months in advance and have been since the first lockdown ended

Which reminds me I have yet another Broads boat shower compartment booked in to fully tile out in a couple of months  :default_cool:

Griff

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Like it or loathe it FB is a powerful all encompassing tool nowadays.

Powerful yes. All encompassing, obviously not judging by the number of people on here who don't embrace it. I get what David and Andy say about it being easier to update than websites. But, we are already seeing the younger generations leaving Facebook for newer social media platforms. This will make it even harder for businesses to reach customers as they will be split across multiple platforms. At least the Web is open and not restricted to only those signed up.

I have my first set of numbers to compare last year to this year, in terms of how well the new season is booking. Just to explain that these are my own rough and ready numbers. I take them twice monthly, and only across public holidays and the peak season. They are also based on boat classes, not individual numbers. So they are not scientific, and only  offer a hint as to what's happening. But in the absence of official figures, perhaps they're better than nothing! 

There were 1,046 of these boats still available at this time last year, compared to 1,028 this year for the sampled weeks. So on the face of it, a very similar booking pattern. But it's complicated now because of the number of boats that Richardsons withdrew from service. I think there has been a net reduction of 15 boat classes since last year. As they were mostly older, larger craft, it's reasonable to assume most would not have been booked out at this stage. So that adds back in about another 130 boats to compare like for like. 

So if the same number of boats were available to book this year as in 2021, bookings would be down around 10%. As it stands, because there are less boats available to book, it looks like this may be another year that sells out, though the rivers won't seem quite as busy as the last two years, because of the reduction in Richardson's fleet number. It's still too early to say what effect the reduction/removal of regulations for overseas travellers will have on domestic bookings. In fact, as a contradiction, the first half of January, has seen more bookings than last year, despite the pre-departure to the UK tests having been removed.  Then again, who knows if another variant will throw everything into chaos once more anyway?

• Like 2