New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

All very interesting stuff David. I wonder whether alongside it perhaps being more possible and easier to travel abroad from the UK whether we will start to see a return of more international tourists to our shores. I don’t know whether that has any impact on Broads boat hire at all. 

The one thing I noticed last years was the sheer amount of cancellations being offered. I guess this mirrored the ever changing regulations on overseas travel. It would be great to know how many 1st time visitors of the last 2 seasons have re booked for a 2nd holiday. The 1st timmers I spoke with back in October all said they would return and all said they would upgrade to better equipped or more moden boats. Even the kidds said they had enjoyed there holidays. 

I was surprised the numbers booking already hadn't slowed down more significantly. I expected many people would make their minds up later about the UK or abroad, depending on the regulations in force at the time. The second half of January will give a better reading of that, as the no test needed to return rules, will have been in operation for the whole two weeks, so I'll be able to compare those with last year.

I can't say what balancing effect the possible return of overseas visitors might have. As a pool of potential holidaymakers, I would have thought many more UK residents would choose to go to the sun, than Europeans choosing a holiday on the Broads. But who knows? 

• Like 3

Silverline launched there new 35ft dual steer boat today, sapphire is the 2nd boat in the fleet of this design. I noticed from the photos they posted to fb,sapphire is sporting the yards own emblem decals and not hoseasons. Its already very heavily booked for the season and no doubt will be another big hit with there customers. 

• Like 5

On 19/11/2021 at 13:46, marshman said:

At least boats cannot get bigger if they want to use the whole system - 46' is the maximum for the smaller rivers! As for the hull, could be going to Clive's!!

Being a newbie interested in your statement of 46feet. Surely at 46 feet the height is too much for the vast majority of bridges?

The above quoted length of 46ft doesn't necessarily always equate to extra height.  Some of the modern swish bathtubs are up to that length and they can pass under most bridges other than PHB of course.  Herbert Woods have modern bath tubs listed at 46ft - Other yards / boats are available

Griff

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Are the broadsman class 45ft they certainly go under most bridges. Never seen the point of Far Horizon far to restricting on where you can go.  

There 46ft I believe and yes they have had one go under potter a couple of years back. 

I notice, searching on Barnes Brinkcraft, Ladymore is no longer offered and nor is Cygnet (the ex-Scotland) boat they've not had for long. Curlew shows on the BB website at a price of £0.00 per week (grab a bargain!) and isn't on Hoseasons so I'm not sure what's happening with that one.

I'm sure I've seen both the ex Scottish boats listed on there brokerage site, I can't remember how much for tho. I didn't think they would keep them in there fleet. Probably brought cheaply earned a few quid over last summer with them. Ideal time to move them on with 2nd hand boat prices still relatively high. Good business if you ask me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I notice, searching on Barnes Brinkcraft, Ladymore is no longer offered and nor is Cygnet (the ex-Scotland) boat they've not had for long. Curlew shows on the BB website at a price of £0.00 per week (grab a bargain!) and isn't on Hoseasons so I'm not sure what's happening with that one.

Curlew 1 is still listed on NBS website.  I’m guessing that if it doesn’t sell, it can be put back into the hirefleet, if the demand is there.  988F (Brinks Royale 1) is also listed on their website for sale, looking as if it’s been cleaned, polished and prepped for a new owner too, along with a couple of other boats.

Having an ‘in-house’ brokerage must be beneficial, as craft can be marketed easily, but returned to the fleet for another season if not sold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Also , and I guess this is the cynic in me , I believe a boat for sale in a brokerage is exempted from paying tolls provided it displays “trade plates” when on a test run .

Lol...should imagine it's already tolled...

6 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Prices are on there now. Looks like it's available from May onwards.

Oh yeah, someone must have been working late!

Looks a similar price to Brinks Omega, though it's Haines fitted interior is perhaps a bit more upmarket

Dan

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dan said:

These are very nice boats, especially when fitted out by Haines.  Height limited for Broads use but very comfortable for two people, in all weathers.  I think those outside handrails would be a nuisance when mooring but they are very stable when on deck and very nice to handle.  Our customers in France were always very happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoseasons have added availability for 2023 which is handy for those of us who like to enjoy musing at possible future hires. I notice Richardson's don't appear in the search which is odd considering they've added 2023 availability to their own website. I'm wondering if Richardson's and Hoseasons are going their separate ways or if there's another explanation.

That's a large chunk of potential commission to lose for hoseasons, but it wouldn't be the first time they've parted ways. I dread to think what hoseasons commission percentage is per hire. Richardsons have really good websites,covering both boats and land based holidays. They clearly know what percentage of customers book direct with them. So why not stand alone, like has already been said several other yards seem to do just fine. The re birth of new horizon holidays lol. Again it could be there not sure themselves what boats will still be in the fleet for 23 !! So no point taking bookings. All speculation of course, I have noticed that some of the new boats added last season don't appear to be booking very well. Overpriced in my opinion, but that's just my take on it. I spent a couple of hours yesterday searching for a holiday with tui that we owe our granddaughter. I had no end of problems looking through there website, I sent them a dm via there fb page. The reply I got back was just sheer volume of traffic. To be fair it did settle down later in the evening. Jet2 are also reporting a huge uplift in bookings for summer 23.. so potentially a quieter summer on the broads. 

• Like 1

Silverline have recently updated their website and the new Silver Saphire is now showing. Interestingly I three boats are no longer showing, all Alpha CCs. A 29, a 35 and a 42 have all left the fleet. Looks like there will be three proud new owners out there.

23 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Silverline have recently updated their website and the new Silver Saphire is now showing. Interestingly I three boats are no longer showing, all Alpha CCs. A 29, a 35 and a 42 have all left the fleet. Looks like there will be three proud new owners out there.

I think they went up for sale last summer, I thought about them last year but didn't act on it.