New Hire Boats For 2022

RS2021

On 29/03/2022 at 13:10, DAVIDH said:

White Heron just added to the Hoseasons site. It's a Broom Captain by the looks of it, but for two people. The fuel inclusive icon is not currently showing, but it is new, and will probably be added when Brooms rfeview it.

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/broom-holidays-limited-brmb/white-heron-bh2728?adult=2&nights=7&range=3&start=23-10-2021&sortorder=12

That's an interesting name. White Heron was a Broom ?captain owned by Mr & Mrs Dinnage who were Jennifer Broom's parents

• Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 10:33, andyg said:

Hi Andrew agree about heron but not so sure your right about richardsons classic fleet. Just one example, our friends have hired bright horizon for a week next August. 1400 quid all in. The boat is 40 odd years old and offers a no frills experience on the broads. That's not a dig at the company or boat it's just a simple fact. Yards are in my opinion starting to price themselves out of the UK holiday Market.

I think it's very dangerous to consider the value of a vessel in your evaluation of the value of a holiday upon it. Really, these things have little correlation except a false one in our perception which states: If the vessel owes the company nothing, they should vastly reduce the cost of the holiday. 

This is a dangerous though process. It ignores the huge cost of annual maintenance, refits, reengining, repairs, operating costs, costs of labour, employment costs, insurance costs, licenses, regulatory costs, building and site costs, quay heading renewals (the list is endless) and the need for a company to make money so that it can operate next year and the year after and after. 

The Broads has ALWAYS been the cheapest place to have a boating holiday in the UK by some margin. It's also the most popular in terms of the sheer number of boats available on a system that, whilst offering over 100 miles of water, is quite compact. 

It is interesting that there are now comparisons being made with The Thames and I have not looked at prices at all this year, but if the Thames is becoming a comparable price-wise, it shows that, finally, there may be a bit of parity in the costs across navigations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's all about what one see as value for money Andy. Very few if any will consider an owners costs etc when making a decision. My 1st thought when making a decision on a holiday is value for money 95% of the time. The example I've given is fact its as simple as that. It's a no frills basic boat. 1400 pound it a considerable amount of money in my opinion and I personally don't believe it represents value. Just my veiw im fully aware of what the current mark place says it worth, but we are living in a strange world at the moment. 

Prices are higher than they were and it's not great, but I still think we're quite a way off Thames prices.

I've compared two Bounty 40's for basically the same week... One is here and the other on the Thames (it should be apparent which is which).

Similar boats, similar age (Monte is a bit newer, but the Moores fitout is a bit nicer). Big price difference.

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 09.34.10.pngScreenshot 2022-04-01 at 09.34.28.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The Broads is still the cheapest waterway in the UK.

I'm not sure that is strictly true!

The most expensive weeks hire on the Chesterfield canal is £1100 per week for a 6 berth boat.

Boat hire on the Great Ouse on the Fens is cheaper than hire on the Broads. 

Just to name a couple that we are aware of. I'm sure there will be more examples.

I just looked at lady analise vs money penny not a huge difference compared to what it was a couple of years ago. I definitely think the gap is closing. We all except prices have gone up on the broads, like everywhere else. But my point stands I believe, when do you reach the point where a boat just isn't value for money anymore ??  The same with caravan Holidays. Holiday operators all over the UK are facing a perfect storm I guess, overseas holidays are making a return and no doubt there will be some aggressive pricing going on there, increased over heads etc etc, there's only so much milking the cow that can be done. 

4 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Prices are higher than they were and it's not great, but I still think we're quite a way off Thames prices.

I've compared two Bounty 40's for basically the same week... One is here and the other on the Thames (it should be apparent which is which).

Similar boats, similar age (Monte is a bit newer, but the Moores fitout is a bit nicer). Big price difference.

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 09.34.10.pngScreenshot 2022-04-01 at 09.34.28.png

Interesting, but a similar boat from another Broads yard is not so far short of the price of the Thames boat.  Admittedly, the price is for more people on board, though but the boat size and style are identical.

44422383-1043-4801-B32D-405DCF3752CF.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Don’t forget Ferry Marina’s price will be all inclusive. Is it the same for the boat you were comparing it to?

I believe kris cruisers on the Thames operates a similar fuel deposit system the broads yards do. I found some examples that aren't  a million mile away from tariffs on the broads. I think the price difference is justified considering what the Thames offers that the broads don't. 

21 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Don’t forget Ferry Marina’s price will be all inclusive. Is it the same for the boat you were comparing it to?

Richos in the examples Oldgregg posted included the fuel deposit.  Not sure about the Thames.

5 hours ago, andyg said:

I just looked at lady analise vs money penny not a huge difference compared to what it was a couple of years ago. I definitely think the gap is closing. We all except prices have gone up on the broads, like everywhere else. But my point stands I believe, when do you reach the point where a boat just isn't value for money anymore ??  The same with caravan Holidays. Holiday operators all over the UK are facing a perfect storm I guess, overseas holidays are making a return and no doubt there will be some aggressive pricing going on there, increased over heads etc etc, there's only so much milking the cow that can be done. 

Sorry to disagree but its all a question of what you enjoy, boating holidays have always been expensive compared to other options nothings changed other than peoples expectations, you make your choice and pay your money, what gets me is the number that complain about the cost of holiday or moorings then are happy to spend goodness knows how much in pubs.

Fred

• Like 1

Andy,

Kris Cruisers ask you to pay on departure based on usage rather than deposit which pushes the prices in favour of the Broads however if you compare August prices rather than April for Monte Carlo the difference is around £300 Inc fuel, as Richardson's have higher rates in season and relatively cheap out of season rates. There are relatively few price bands which means prices are less progressive than they used to be.

Neil

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Sorry to disagree but its all a question of what you enjoy, boating holidays have always been expensive compared to other options nothings changed other than peoples expectations, you make your choice and pay your money, what gets me is the number that complain about the cost of holiday or moorings then are happy to spend goodness knows how much in pubs.

Fred

No that's fine everyone's entitled to there take on it and I don't disagree with some of what you have said. But you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Like has been said already it's not just the broads it's the whole UK tourist industry. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andyg said:

No that's fine everyone's entitled to there take on it and I don't disagree with some of what you have said. But you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Like has been said already it's not just the broads it's the whole UK tourist industry. 

We all know a lot of UK holidays are not cheap my point is its nothing new, back in the 1980s and 90s friends could never understand why we paid what we did to hire a boat on the broads when they could go to the USA for less or sit on the Costa wherever cheaper than the "beach" at Southend, the thing that gets forgotten is that for any operator in this country the main holiday season is relatively short and therefore they need to maximise their profits then to cover the rest of the year when they still have overheads to meet, boats that are laid up off season still have to be maintained and wages paid.

The economies of various countries has always varied and always will as has the standard of living of its incumbents. the UK has never been the cheapest place to live and never will be but is still preferable to and has a better standard of life than a lot of the other country`s where holidays are cheaper that`s why so many want to come and live here.

Fred

• 3 weeks later...

Also they have updated their website with more photos.

https://www.broads.co.uk/boats/fair-regal-1/

Overall I like the look if this boat. Spacious with a very light saloon. I like that they have gone for direct access to the top deck rather than having to go via the stern, although the stern deck is nice and wide with good railings. It seems odd that both the lower and upper helm are on the 'wrong' side. I would have thought building from scratch they could simply mirrored it. The top deck seems focused on sunbathing, nowhere to simply sit comfortably, or even dine alfresco. But, I'd be happy to hire it if I had a party of four and the price was right...

34 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

Also they have updated their website with more photos.

https://www.broads.co.uk/boats/fair-regal-1/

Overall I like the look if this boat. Spacious with a very light saloon. I like that they have gone for direct access to the top deck rather than having to go via the stern, although the stern deck is nice and wide with good railings. It seems odd that both the lower and upper helm are on the 'wrong' side. I would have thought building from scratch they could simply mirrored it. The top deck seems focused on sunbathing, nowhere to simply sit comfortably, or even dine alfresco. But, I'd be happy to hire it if I had a party of four and the price was right...

Hmmm.  As I said on another thread, in my opinion it looks like a river trip bus.  The view from the internal helm must be like looking through a letterbox, with very limited rear three quarter visibility (I’m assuming that it has rear facing cameras for stern mooring), but worst of all is the airdraft, quoted at 8’8”.

There will be a lot of occasions when it won’t even pass under Ludham bridge, denying hirers of the opportunity of cruising the most picturesque river on the northern  rivers.

More style over practicality (again, in my opinion) and particularly suited to those who want to be seen on the newest and flashiest hire boat available, rather than cruising The Broads for the scenery and wildlife and to enjoy the peace and tranquility that they offer.

I have no doubt that it will hire well, but even if I had 3.5k to hire it for a week in peak, it wouldn’t feature on my list of potentials.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I have no doubt that it will hire well,

But will that be at the expense of other NBD boats? Fair Entrepreneur and Fair President, both very nice boats and aimed at the two couples market currently have a lot of availability this year.

1 minute ago, RS2021 said:

But will that be at the expense of other NBD boats? Fair Entrepreneur and Fair President, both very nice boats and aimed at the two couples market currently have a lot of availability this year.

Quite possibly.  With travel restrictions in place over the past two seasons, the UK holiday industry has had a bit of a field day, with limited alternatives and high prices.  Now that restrictions are lifted, folk will return to their jet-away holidays, especially as  prices over here have risen so much.

Look at Fair Regal - 3.4k for a week for four people.  Yes, it includes fuel, but not food and drink.  Probably, the average people hiring that will tend to eat out.  What shall we say - £120 per night for food and drink for four?  Multiply that by seven, plus the hire cost is well over 4k, especially if you add fuel costs to get to Wroxham.  I’m certainly no expert, but surely you can get an all inclusive package to somewhere hot and sunny for less than £1000 per person, per week?

As I said, there are those that will pay a premium for the latest, flashiest hire boat on the rivers.  If the market for boating holidays contracts, yes, there probably will be expensive boats left unhired in yards across the network.  This season will be a test, to see whether the marketplace can sustain such expensive boats, or whether prices will need to fall to attract some of the business back from first timers who have enjoyed the experience, but are not willing to pay silly money to go again.

• Like 5

I agree,for two years most of us remained  in the UK.Hoildays at home became more costly.It worked.If you looked over the last few weeks.Demand for air and sea travel Increased close to pre Covid levels.Its a balance ,but if UK holidays become too expensive, people  will go elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Look at Fair Regal - 3.4k for a week for four people.  Yes, it includes fuel, but not food and drink.  Probably, the average people hiring that will tend to eat out.  What shall we say - £120 per night for food and drink for four?  Multiply that by seven, plus the hire cost is well over 4k, especially if you add fuel costs to get to Wroxham.  I’m certainly no expert, but surely you can get an all inclusive package to somewhere hot and sunny for less than £1000 per person, per week?

As I said, there are those that will pay a premium for the latest, flashiest hire boat on the rivers.  If the market for boating holidays contracts, yes, there probably will be expensive boats left unhired in yards across the network.  This season will be a test, to see whether the marketplace can sustain such expensive boats, or whether prices will need to fall to attract some of the business back from first timers who have enjoyed the experience, but are not willing to pay silly money to go again.

I'd tend to agree. I personally wouldn't hire it for pretty much that reason. It's just too much to spend on a week in Norfolk, as much as I love the Broads.

And in fairness to NBD, the fitout is decent as I think the vast majority of theirs are. These were not originally their mouldings and they have done a good job with what they were given.

The use of black vinyl to create the appearance of a continuous upper window line (the front two are windows but the rest of it is not as the build pictures showed) is essential to making the design a little more balanced.

But when you can go somewhere hot for the same price (and go all inclusive) you just would.

• Like 5

I’ve been checking NBD and Ferry Marina recently. Interesting. Limited availability September and October but plenty of options for August … at a price I wouldn’t pay even if I wanted to be out at that time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I’ve been checking NBD and Ferry Marina recently. Interesting. Limited availability September and October but plenty of options for August … at a price I wouldn’t pay even if I wanted to be out at that time. 

Prices usually go up in school holidays for holidays aimed at families with children. If you are aiming at the two couples (or even one couple) market then unless one of the party is a teacher you probably should reduce your prices at that time of year.

• Like 2