New Doctors For Us

Marina and I registered at the Hemsby medical centre. Last week we filled out paper work and handed it over.Got log in details  over the weekend. Done the app.I phoned this morning  asking about my hospital  care being transferred  from London to here.About an hour later a Doctor  phoned me.Will arrange  for my care being transferred  before  I'm  due to attend  hospital  next month. Very impressed, all very straightforward. A big thumbs up from me.

• Like 7

Good to get your transfer of care underway Ian. We likewise transferred to a local GP very easily. Finding a dentist has been a different matter. We haven’t yet been able to find an NHS dentist we can register with anywhere in reasonable travelling time in Norfolk or across the border into Suffolk. At present we have joined a private dentist to ensure that we have somewhere to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

So where do you live ? I can send you a PM of my address if you wish. 

Winterton Ian, just down the road from you 🙂

11 minutes ago, SwanR said:

At present we have joined a private dentist to ensure that we have somewhere to go. 

We moved here 4 years ago and at that time the Hemsby practice took us on as NHS patients. Covid, of course, meant big problems for dentists and twice my checkups were cancelled but they seem to be back on track now. Certainly worth an enquiry if you haven't tried them yet.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Good to get your transfer of care underway Ian. We likewise transferred to a local GP very easily. Finding a dentist has been a different matter. We haven’t yet been able to find an NHS dentist we can register with anywhere in reasonable travelling time in Norfolk or across the border into Suffolk. At present we have joined a private dentist to ensure that we have somewhere to go. 

Same for us, although registration with our health centre was online and touch wood, I haven’t yet had occasion to see the inside of the surgery.  There are no NHS dentists within reasonable distance and going private will be our only option, although my wife has travelled to work today instead of Wednesday, to tie in with an ‘emergency’ appointment (made in August) at our old dentist in Northampton!!

Don't you Northfolk come down here and take our NHS dentist.. geez..  Not that there's any anyway.. I'm still going back to Kent to use mine.. Glad you sorted with your docs, I'm just doing ours, it's just a little walk the corner, just past the butchers, bakery and the pub thankfully..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We originally had to register with a dentist in Norwich, 20 odd miles away  then one day we turned up to a pre arranged appointment to be told they didn't do NHS anymore.. a very unFriendsly service..

Luckily we found the Hemsby dentist had vacancies at the time, only 5 miles away. The only thing with them is they are part of a chain, and so the dentist you see changes quite often.

I was in for routine checkups a couple of weeks ago and someone came in asking about registering, the receptionist said no chance before January..

• Thanks 1

My day job takes me in to most of the NHS dental practices across Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex and I am not aware of any that are currently taking on NHS patients. The one in Hemsby is very good and as TheQ says they are part of a chain, but it is a small family run business that only has a handful of practices across Norfolk and Suffolk. 

• Thanks 1

This afternoon  I had a call from  the medical  centre. They asked if I would be willing to answer questions  regarding  my lung Cancer from Students,tomorrow. I would have been happy to do so. Have allowed  students  to examine me in hospital  before.However we've  got lots going  on in the house  tomorrow,so sadly I can't  help this time.

• Sad 1