For Those That Moor In Brundall

OldBerkshireBoy

I never found it that welcoming so never really made much effort to visit unless popping into brian wards for something, always seemed dark and dingy inside and as for the office/table, what the flip?

Never tried the food so can't comment, if it had a mooring we would have visited more often, on one occaision we moored under brooms crane on a bank holiday weekend and went in but I think they have a bigger fence now.

I suppose it depends what you're looking for. If you're on holiday I suppose you want bells and whistles and warm jolly atmosphere in spades. We used to eat there 2 sometimes 3 times a week as we moored  at Brundall and it was very convenient. Also the food while a bit repetitive was very good a real cut above any we ate elsewhere on the Broads in that price range their fish dishes were superb likewise their steaks and excellently priced. We never found the bar staff miserable quite the opposite. We are seriously going to miss it. yes I suppose the " office" in the bar was a bit quirky but that's we Brits for you we do quirky big time we're well-known for it!

Carole

• Like 5

The food was a bit repetitive, I was moored in Brundall for seven years the menu was the same when we left as it was when we arrived !

Opinions on the place depend on what you expect and the standards you require. 
Could be a great establishment but lots of money required for a roots and branches overall. 

Yes will take lots of money,if you rip it apart and turn it into a upmarket  pub.With all mod cons.Does it need that perhaps not.A good tidy up.A new menu ,but keep simple good pub food,and yes keep classic pub food with good seasonal offerings.It is a going concern with a good customer  base.Theres many pubs on the broads,that struggle for trade.Not the Yare,with a few careful changes it will be a success. 

• Like 1

Always liked The Yare and found the place characterful and the food decent. As for it being unwelcoming, it was always way better than the pubs round where we live, where the conversation stops the moment you walk in. I hope it is back on its feet as a going concern soon.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

I always felt like they were doing me a massive favour allowing me to spend my money with them. 
Never met more miserable bar staff. 

I get that; I could see why anyone would get that impression. I've said this before about East Anglians: they are either outgoing and friendly, or hard work, and friendly. I always thought of getting Paul to smile as a challenge, I did manage it once. 

Nobody mentioned the filthy gent's toilet yet so I will.

For all that, I would still go back if I wanted a good place to go for a meal.

In the modern era with our high expectations of good customer service, some of these poeple would struggle to get employment if they didn't work for themselves.

• Like 1

Only visited once just a couple of months ago.

Our experience was a friendly welcome, nice food, staff being helpful and making a fuss of the dog. Plenty of diners and a nice atmosphere, was looking forward to going back 🙁

It's funny isn't it how much perceptions can vary?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ray said:

. . . . . . Our experience was a friendly welcome, nice food, staff being helpful and making a fuss of the dog. Plenty of diners and a nice atmosphere . . . . . . . . . . . 

Fairly much what we found.  Pre Covid, we used to stop there quite frequently on our way home from a weekend on the boat.  We’ve only been in a couple of times recently, but still enjoyed it.  The food was good value and the service friendly.  It was also handy for a cheeky pint after a day working on the boat in the marina.

It seemed strange to think, as we drove past on Sunday afternoon, that the next time we pass it in a couple of weeks, it’ll be closed, maybe for good.  I have to say that although it would be nice to see it reopen as a pub again, I do wonder if it will be redeveloped into to residential accommodation in time to come.

• Like 2

If someone lets me know when the auction is I'll give it a go. Plenty of funds left since I was outbid on the ex-Alphacraft yard. :default_icon_liar::default_drink_2:

You never know, if it's Cruso & Wilkin I may get it for the "magic pound". :default_coat:

But seriously folks, in reality I think whoever owns the land that Brooms sits on will want to win it. You could try hoping that an excentric millionaire bids for sentimental reasons.

9 hours ago, floydraser said:

I always thought of getting Paul to smile as a challenge, I did manage it once. 

Never managed it yet, after 50+ visits, but to no detriment. The last few years, they seem to have a really nice lady, who I can only guess is some sort of "front of house" manageress. She is very personable, and welcoming. The young waiting staff clearly follow her lead now. 

I will really miss the place. It's the only Broads pub I've revisited every time I've been down (others a close second). I can remember us sitting in the games room on the first few occasions, because it had a juke box. Then we became more "sophisticated" and frequented the main bar with it's stage and live music at times, (before it was converted to it's present incarnation). Strange that what appears to be a thriving business, should seemingly not have found takers as a going concern. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Strange that what appears to be a thriving business, should seemingly not have found takers as a going concern. 

As a business a potential buyer would look at the profit/loss/takings situation and negotiate accordingly. There's probably more value in the potential of the land and if I were the owners I would want to cash in for my retirement. 

Hi I guess that at the moment pubs and restaurants aren't the flavor of the month at the moment, and have been struggling the Yare as well perhaps? BUT it is well positioned almost in the centre of several thousand privately owned boats with no competition apart from Coldhams Hall for which need a boat to cross the river too and being freehold you won't have to worry about the rent going up yearly, they have after all been successful for past forty years no reason why it can't continyou. John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deniseanne said:

We just love the yare and I can't believe what's happening to it, I just wish we had the money to buy this lovely pub

Welcome to the forum Deniseanne. As you will have read above, I too will really miss the Yare if it closes. If you do happen to win the lottery and find the money, do let us know. I can promise my continued patronage, even if it's just 3 or 4 times a year.

• Like 1

We went in for lunch on Wednesday and had a chat with Paul who told us that he and Michaed have been wanting to retire for a while and had several people voice and interest in buying the Yare but none of them  took it any further so they decided going to auction  was the best way forward.

Carole

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Just a thought although maybe a bit late in the day: Could we as a forum send them our collective best wishes for the future?

38 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Well they do display the forum logo in the window beside the front doors (were they once a sponsor?) and there are two large cards collecting signatures from well wishers being passed around so I might be able to add to "From NBN" if a moderator gives me the thumbs up.

• Like 2